ADVERTISEMENT

Rich get richer

Realistically ohio herd we can't. What we will have will be a lot of people - probably many on here, who are in denial. Our fan base has pretty much remained the same. Very few sellouts in the Joan. Home games televised and not blacked out locally keeps elder fans home. Personally I don't see this level of trying to keep up with the Jones' of the athletic world much
longer when you look at the economic situation in Huntington where the majority of our fan base is located. I often wonder three years down the road since MH did the major re-seating in a stadium that does not fill to capacity has any regrets about that decision that ran many off that Marshall simply cannot afford to lose.
Just my opinion.

Reactions: ohio herd
It's not sustainable for the majority of FBS schools. It's a huge reason why I don't watch much college ball outside of The Herd. There's no legitimacy to the game anymore because it's the Big Time Haves against the Small Time Have Not's.

Reactions: ohio herd
It's not sustainable for the majority of FBS schools. It's a huge reason why I don't watch much college ball outside of The Herd. There's no legitimacy to the game anymore because it's the Big Time Haves against the Small Time Have Not's.

It's always been that way, just more 000's in the amount for all schools. and constant sport talk media hammering it home.
What would you say if I told you the so called mid majors are getting more recognition than ever before across the whole landscape of college sports.

I just think we shouldn't sell our soul to the devil to try to get a bigger crumb that falls from the table. I think we do an incredible job with what we have to work with.It is frustrating to see this happen but all we can do is keep doing what we are already doing.

A great read from a writer at the newspaper in Hattiesburg, Miss (So Miss) last week....saying the same thing about the woes of CUSA's new TV package and teams like Marshall & the Golden Eagles losing operational $$$$$.. The writer says too much emphasis is placed on TV market numbers and NOT enough on what a school brings to the table--athletic wise, located in small markets.. He points to the new teams that were invited recently....Old Dominion, Charlotte, Texas San Antonia....big markets, yet small fan support.

HerdZila22 in Charlotte

I just think we shouldn't sell our soul to the devil to try to get a bigger crumb that falls from the table. I think we do an incredible job with what we have to work with.It is frustrating to see this happen but all we can do is keep doing what we are already doing.

I couldn't agree with you more... The job Marshall has done athletically since the early 80's (that's as far back as my experience with Marshall goes) almost boarders on miraculous based on it's location and financial restrictions. My first introduction was as a student at Western Carolina watching Marshall's passionate fan base take over the Southern Conference Basketball Tournament's in the Asheville Civic Center, pretty much making it a home game for The Herd. I'll be the first to admit Marshall was the team we all loved to hate.. mainly out of jealousy, as their fan base was loud, proud and friendly (a very rare combination) and they backed it up on the court under Rick Huckabay. A victory over Marshall back then, was usually reported by the media as an upset, and a statement win for your own program.

Then it was football's turn, with consistent success beginning in the 90's with Coach Donnan. I move to Huntington 1991 (I was the Program Director of WKEE until 1993) I got to know Coach Donnan and AD Lee Moon as they would come by the station each Friday to talk about the weekends game. That is when I became baptized in Green.

My point to all of this is please do not let ESPN, P5 vs. G5, and other uncontrollable forces (namely the head scratching pettiness of WVU not wanting to play Marshall) derail the passion and bond Marshall fans (me included) have for their teams. You would be surprised how many people have a special kind of kindred with Marshall. I've lived in Atlanta for close to 20 years and whenever I wear something with a Marshall logo on it I inevitability hear a "Go Herd". It's a special "It" factor not a lot of programs have ever know, or enjoy.

Tejas A&M has spent 193,000,000.00

Marshall's spend 27,000,000.00

We still have the better IAF.

Hmmmmmm.

As for creating revenue if we start playing P5s for a million to balance the budget we should offer to move the game to a neutral venue if they don't want to play a return game. Play South Carolina in Charlotte or Clemson in Charlotte at the Panthers Stadium.

Why do you keep saying this?

Institutions want recruits to think , hey we spent 193 million we have the best of everything.

They don't. We have the best IAF in the nation, and if you don't think it hasn't made a difference you haven't been watching our different sports excel since its opening.

In short cuz it's like this. We not only have the best IAF in the nation, we even have the best one in the state too! LOL.

There wasn't one recruit we lost to your facilities or your genius coach.

How do we know it's the best? I am sure ours is in the top quarter of so. Proud of what we have and that the fans and donors funded it. Didnt rely on state dollars.

The only way you can say it is better than Texas A&M is to say that it is all in one building. If you Look at A&M's facilities they have one building with a football field, one building for indoor track and one for athletic students academics. They have other buildings as well. Marshall has a GREAT facility, but to say it is the best in the nation is just not accurate.

The only way you can say it is better than Texas A&M is to say that it is all in one building. If you Look at A&M's facilities they have one building with a football field, one building for indoor track and one for athletic students academics. They have other buildings as well. Marshall has a GREAT facility, but to say it is the best in the nation is just not accurate.

Don't try to argue with him, you'll get kicked off the board even with proof he's wrong...

It usually only goes off topic when someone calls someone else out for stating nonsense...
It is not nonsense to say we have the best IPF in the nation. Pro scouts have come in and said exactly that. It was stated last spring at our Pro Day. Her ditty you keep hanging with your cuz. That is where you belong.

Once again you miss the context... The IAF, whether it's the best or not, has nothing to do with the topic. That's what Celt meant.

Once again you miss the context... The IAF, whether it's the best or not, has nothing to do with the topic. That's what Celt meant.
You carried the point when your cousin wanted to argue the point and you said he would get kicked off for arguing the point. You are a waste.

Ahem. "Clearing throat of flem" spitting it on horse teeths suit sponsored by my Dad who fought in the Korean War. My Dad would most likely would hit horseteeth square in the mouth on general principal of being a loudmouthed idiot running down another school he has no business or right in doing so. Literally he would just deck him, straight up and ask, how's THAT feel asshole? Lol.

Have to love that old school mentality.

So.....

One more time.

We spent 27 million last year.

We have the BEST IAF in the USA.

Am I making myself clear?

We have the best IAF in the USA and there a no state funds involved.

Is that too hard for some of you to conceptualize?

If the haves wanted to totally get rid of the have-nots, they'd remove academic qualifications from play. People talk about what Marshall (or Boise) has been able to do with limited resources, you can't overlook the loophole we use with regard to non-qualifiers. Cut out the props, and you're looking at MU Football circa 2005-2009.

Someone needs to teach the ESPN writer the difference between "gross" and "net". He uses "made" which most people equate to "netted" in a story about what these teams "grossed".

As has been outlined by better pieces in USA Today and elsewhere, most schools lose money and most all schools (including Marshall AND WVU) use taxpayer money and accounting tricks to cover for the use of taxpayer money to subsidize sports. They do.

So Alabama takes in a hundred gazillion $$. And? You cannot legally pay the players. You can only have so many coaches. You can only have 85 scholies. You only need one IPF. One training facility. One film room. So on. At a certain point, what does making a profit of billions do for your program? Say Alabama got twice as much money next year. What is it going to substantailly spend that money on that it does not have today. In other words, what is the Alabama AD getting up this morning and wishing he could afford to have, but cannot?

The answer is, well, nothing.

That is not to say that MU has everything we need. We need a baseball field, a dedicated charter airplane, an upgrade or replacement to the HC, and lots of other smaller things. But at some point you have everything you need, and there you are. And MU is WAY closer to the top than it is to the bottom in these terms. Consider that lots of programs (MACers, Belters, and even some at the bottom of our league and its two equals, ESPN/AAC and the MWC, sell tickets for less than $10 and have booster clubs with less members than the Pea Ridge Rotary. We are alright.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT