ADVERTISEMENT

Riflearm: Inquiring minds want to know.

BC, you ever figure out what a traveling violation is in basketball? If so, how? You shouldn't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, get proven wrong and then run. Makes you look small and weak.

I haven't read that thread since I posted in it. You're still wrong. You're allowed to spin during the dribble up, then take two steps. That's what he did. Deal with it.

Now, back to rifle.

Originally posted by big_country90:
I haven't read that thread since I posted in it. You're still wrong. You're allowed to spin during the dribble up, then take two steps. That's what he did. Deal with it.

Now, back to rifle.
I'll just leave this here:

Staten Walked

it took me a minute to even recall who the girl was you were referencing. i remembered the situation, just not who the girl was.

we were friends on skype. i clicked on her skype name and her real name was on her profile.

Now, back to rifle.
10997899_10155146744090214_5666744020563728337_n.jpg

Now, back to rifle.
Traveling/walking is not determined by the number of steps (although you will here EVERY variety of number attached: 1.5 steps, 2 steps, 3 steps allowed after picking up the dribble -- simply not true), it is determined by the pivot foot. Once the pivot foot leaves the floor, if the player has not passed or shot the ball before the pivot foot returns to the floor, then that is a walk/travel.

Here is a link to a 16 second clip of the play -- slow it down to 0.25 of the speed to get a better view:

* Staten's last dribble is with his left foot on the floor -- technically, when the right foot follows in-step, that makes the left foot the pivot foot in this instance;

* when the left foot touches just outside the free-throw lane (at the very least), that is a return of the pivot-foot to the floor without a pass or shot, which is widely known as a walk or travel

Even being charitable for the game-speed, and what the official is more likely to determine (labeling Staten's right-foot the pivot-foot) it is still a walk/travel, as Staten physically pivots on the right foot, and then returns the right foot to the floor immediately -- another walk or travel. The "left-and-right" steps before the lay-up are essentially extra steps beyond the travel, but the NCAA doesn't have a violation for excessive traveling (or Super Walking) as it were.

Staten's (Many) Steps

In the backyard games we used to yell:

CONTINUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The old NBA rule and driveway league games.

CONTINUATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell Ray Charles could see that guy from wvu walked.

And another thread that BC "will not read since he posted"

Olen, you, of course, have the correct definition. For reference, it's section 72, article 3(A) in the ncaa rule book I believe.

Once again...whether it's a sport's allegiance or political ideology, people twist that which is obvious to fit their own world view. But I beat that drum before. Walking. It ain't even close.

Originally posted by -Olen-:

Now, back to rifle.
Traveling/walking is not determined by the number of steps (although you will here EVERY variety of number attached: 1.5 steps, 2 steps, 3 steps allowed after picking up the dribble -- simply not true), it is determined by the pivot foot. Once the pivot foot leaves the floor, if the player has not passed or shot the ball before the pivot foot returns to the floor, then that is a walk/travel.

Here is a link to a 16 second clip of the play -- slow it down to 0.25 of the speed to get a better view:

* Staten's last dribble is with his left foot on the floor -- technically, when the right foot follows in-step, that makes the left foot the pivot foot in this instance;

* when the left foot touches just outside the free-throw lane (at the very least), that is a return of the pivot-foot to the floor without a pass or shot, which is widely known as a walk or travel

Even being charitable for the game-speed, and what the official is more likely to determine (labeling Staten's right-foot the pivot-foot) it is still a walk/travel, as Staten physically pivots on the right foot, and then returns the right foot to the floor immediately -- another walk or travel. The "left-and-right" steps before the lay-up are essentially extra steps beyond the travel, but the NCAA doesn't have a violation for excessive traveling (or Super Walking) as it were.
Next to block/charge, walk/travel is the most controversial and mis-used call in basketball.

The development of the "Euro-step" has made the issue even worse.

At the college and high school level players are often penalized for having a quick first step and a travel is often called as a player makes a quick dribble-drive move to the basket.

It got so bad a few years ago that referees were cautioned to call travels in this situation only when they were "certain". Most High School refes still haven't gotten the memo and call far to many travels on the initial move and not enough once the player has "gathered" the ball to pass or shoot.

You will often see obvious travels not called on shot attempts but the same move resulting in a pass will be called a travel.

It's a difficult call and is very prone to human error.

Did Staten walk, technically? Yea, I think so, by the book.

However, that call is rarely ever made in that situation, especially in the middle of a spin move, especially on the last play of the game, especially at home, especially on the best PG in the Big12.

WVU wins!

Originally posted by TheLondonBlitz:
Did Staten walk, technically? Yea, I think so, by the book.

However, that call is rarely ever made in that situation, especially in the middle of a spin move, especially on the last play of the game, especially at home, especially on the best PG in the Big12.

WVU wins!
Technically? He walked, period. Hell, he took four steps.

Guys palm the ball and walk all the time now. If they called it by the book the games would have a final score of 10-8 like buddy league and the games would take 6 hours to play.

And, nobody can hit the mid range jumper. Everybody wants to dunk and hit the three.

I'd love to see them call an inbounds infraction for everytime a player lazily steps onto the court while throwing the ball in from the baseline after an opponents made shot. They step into play before the pass more times than I can count.

Herdman, you must not have seen kentucky play much. Booker and likes can both hit the mid- range jumper consistently.

GK, I agree. If a team isn't getting pressured on the inbound pass, they step across the line every single time. It's almost like it isn't even a rule anymore.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by ThunderCat98:
Herdman, you must not have seen kentucky play much. Booker and likes can both hit the mid- range jumper consistently.

GK, I agree. If a team isn't getting pressured on the inbound pass, they step across the line every single time. It's almost like it isn't even a rule anymore.

Posted from Rivals Mobile

Ok that's 2 guys out hundreds and hundreds. And, not I don't watch much college basketball anymore. It actually kind of bores me. But, I do know that it is a lost art of the game. Everybody likes the dunk and the three pointer. That gets you on highlight tapes.

I agree with herdman on this one. The art of the midrange jumper has gone away. I'm sure there's exceptions but for the most part the game has become dunks and three pointers.

If I were a big man in todays game I would learn the sky hook. You don't ever see that anymore. If you can perfect that around the hoop it is unstoppable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT