ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Taylor

thundermax

Silver Buffalo
Oct 2, 2005
The play Ryan Taylor made on the tip to start the overtime period was the best play I have seen in years. I wish I knew how to post it but for those of you who missed it. Find it and watch! Go Herd!

He got away with it but it is actually a violation. NCAA rule book:

Section 8. Jump Ball

Art. 1. It is a violation when:
  1. a The ball is touched by one or both of the jumpers before it reaches its
    highest point.

2. b Either jumper leaves the center circle before the ball has been touched by a jumper, catches the jump ball, or touches it more than twice.

Excellent post BisonPa and correct - by the rule. If the official/s missed it that's it. Taylor pulled one off.

You must have not seen the play. The Toledo player tipped the ball while Taylor was still in the center circle as he took off and caught the tip. The way those refs were last night anything questionable would have been called. It was a good play

Last edited:
You probably need to watch it again. He started running as the ball was being tossed. Clearly a violation. You have to wait till someone touches the ball before you leave the circle.

Reactions: Woody Woodrum
He got away with it but it is actually a violation. NCAA rule book:

Section 8. Jump Ball

Art. 1. It is a violation when:
  1. a The ball is touched by one or both of the jumpers before it reaches its
    highest point.

2. b Either jumper leaves the center circle before the ball has been touched by a jumper, catches the jump ball, or touches it more than twice.
Question is.....Did Ryan leave the circle before the ball was touched? Also what constitutes the circle.... His side of the half court line or both sides of the half line.

Sometimes officials miss obscure rules. He got away with it. The reason you haven't seen it before and probably won't see it again is that it is a violation. Do you really think if it was legal that he would have been the first to ever think of it?

Last edited:
You probably need to watch it again. He started running as the ball was being tossed. Clearly a violation. You have to wait till someone touches the ball before you leave the circle.

I didnt see the play, nor am I familiar with the rule. However, "moving" as the ball is tossed and "leaving the circle" are different actions. Clearly one can move in a jumpball situation or you wouldn't be able to contend for possession. Seems to me, based on what is being said in this thread, if he moved - without leaving the circle - as the ball was being tossed, that would be within the rules.

wNHxdFG.gif

Reactions: herdalicious
Sometimes officials miss obscure rules. He got away with it. The reason you haven't seen it before and probably won't see it again is that it is a violation. Do you really think if it was legal that he would have been the first to ever think of it?

That's like the time in the NBA a ref called Pete Maravich for traveling. Pete told the official "How do you know that's traveling....you have never seen that move before."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT