ADVERTISEMENT

Same ole Fancher

10-21, less than 100 yards, 1 td, 2 picks, a fumble, and sacked for a safety. Tough night. He did run for 70+.

10-21, less than 100 yards, 1 td, 2 picks, a fumble, and sacked for a safety. Tough night. He did run for 70+.
Michigan State's #2 portal QB had very similar stats. Fancher again has no line and no protection. Running for his life against a B1G defense. He wasn't ever going to automatically make FAU good. But maybe their fan, no I didn't leave off the "s," doesn't call him garbage 50 times a day.

Not surprisingly, the morons failed to mention that he had more rushing yards than the rest of his team combined, that they only lost by six on the road against a decent Big 10 school, and that he got them to midfield with two minutes to play with a chance to win the game.

Reactions: Thunderiffic
Not surprisingly, the morons failed to mention that he had more rushing yards than the rest of his team combined, that they only lost by six on the road against a decent Big 10 school, and that he got them to midfield with two minutes to play with a chance to win the game.
Well, he had more rushing attempts than the rest of the team combined. He average 2.7 ypc, others averaged 2.9. And as a former QB coach, you know 4.6 ypa is horrible throwing the ball.

MSU most likely won’t be a decent B1G school this year. May go 6-6 if they can win the non conference games they should win. Decent defense, no offense.

Well, he had more rushing attempts than the rest of the team combined. He average 2.7 ypc, others averaged 2.9.
The others don’t have to worry about getting sacked after taking a seven yard drop to pass. That is what accounts for his YPC.

. And as a former QB coach, you know 4.6 ypa is horrible throwing the ball.

I’ve said it a million times. He’s not a QB who will throw for 350 and win a 45-42 game. He will control the tempo and keep defenses honest with his ability to run. If put in the right situation, he can be very effective. The proof of that is a bad FAU program losing by six and having a very legitimate chance of winning that game with two minutes to go.

It’s why I said that Marshall fans are a bunch of morons for running him out of Huntington. He’s a backup (possibly starter) that Marshall would love to have.

MSU most likely won’t be a decent B1G school this year. May go 6-6 if they can win the non conference games they should win. .
Going 6-6 in today’s Big 10 equates to a decent Big 10 team.

Basing the QB on one game is a mistake. The kid looked solid in limited action last year at Oregon State.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedsGreen33
I'm a fan of Fancher, seems like a great kid. I was cheering for him last night.

He was running for his life last night at times but he also missed on more throws than I could count. On the final drive, he completely overthrew a wide open receive 20 yards directly in front of him that would have likely been the game winner. And he was not being pressured.

He's terribly inconsistent. That's always been the issue in my opinion.

He is one tough sob. I will give him that. He has some wheels and had some good runs. But I wouldn’t call MSU a decent team, they looked pretty bad. 25 carries for 67yds = 2.7 yds a carry, so let’s not act like he was Herschel Walker out there. Most importantly for a qb…..throwing ability….I have nothing nice to say about that. Lol

At any rate, hope he is healthy and has a great year.

Last edited:
The others don’t have to worry about getting sacked after taking a seven yard drop to pass. That is what accounts for his YPC.

I’ve said it a million times. He’s not a QB who will throw for 350 and win a 45-42 game. He will control the tempo and keep defenses honest with his ability to run. If put in the right situation, he can be very effective. The proof of that is a bad FAU program losing by six and having a very legitimate chance of winning that game with two minutes to go.

It’s why I said that Marshall fans are a bunch of morons for running him out of Huntington. He’s a backup (possibly starter) that Marshall would love to have.

Going 6-6 in today’s Big 10 equates to a decent Big 10 team.

Basing the QB on one game is a mistake. The kid looked solid in limited action last year at Oregon State.
Fancher got the crap beat out of him last night, like he did last year. Courageous, yes, as a passing QB, no, he's not in the right situation. He would've be effective playing at one of the service academies' offenses before the blocking rules were changed.

Michigan State's #2 portal QB had very similar stats. Fancher again has no line and no protection. Running for his life against a B1G defense. He wasn't ever going to automatically make FAU good. But maybe their fan, no I didn't leave off the "s," doesn't call him garbage 50 times a day.

Dude plays for another team and we’re still making excuses for him

C'mon man. Do you not recognize a troll thread when you see one? Trying to get some activity on this forum. Should I see if the guy that kept the book for a JV baseball team will return?

C'mon man. Do you not recognize a troll thread when you see one? Trying to get some activity on this forum. Should I see if the guy that kept the book for a JV baseball team will return?
was that rifle's jv coach?

FAUs defense forced 3 turnovers, gave up 14 points, held MSU under 300 yards total offense. MSU had 140 yards in penalties.

And the takeaway is Fancher had anything to do with why they only lost by 6?

FAUs defense forced 3 turnovers, gave up 14 points, held MSU under 300 yards total offense. MSU had 140 yards in penalties.

And the takeaway is Fancher had anything to do with why they only lost by 6?
You must be new here.

I have consistently argued that Fancher isn't the guy a team should lean on if they need to throw for 400 yards to win. His style of play does, however, allow a good defensive team with a bad offense to have a chance against far more talented teams. His legs allow a bad offense to have the ball much longer than they should. Couple that with a good defensive team, and it sets the team up for potential success.

• Angry
Reactions: Rye_uns_bald_spot
On the final drive, he completely overthrew a wide open receive 20 yards directly in front of him that would have likely been the game winner. And he was not being pressured.

You've made this comment in two separate threads, and since I didn't remember it, I went back and looked.

Fancher had two incompletions on their last drive. One was their final play when he was pressured, scrambling, and basically tossed it anywhere he could as he was being tackled. The only other incompletion was nothing like you described: a receiver wasn't "wide open," wasn't 20 yards down field, wasn't directly in front of him, and definitely would not have been the game winner even if it had been completed. As the commentators said, it looked like Fancher thought the receiver was going to sit his route down. Regardless, this couldn't have been the incompletion you were talking about, as none of it matched with what you said. On his final drive, on a 4th-and-8, he threw a beautiful ball for over a tightly covered receiver for a 20+ yard completion in the middle of the field.

Here is the full game replay. You can skip ahead to the end of the game and watch FAU's final drive. What incompletion were you talking about?

Game replay: https://www.foxsports.com/replay/fmc-wtxd8e1ewb2b968t
Play-by-play script: https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay/_/gameId/401628453

If you're talking about the second-to-last drive, then you've neglected to do a few things;
1) You didn't mention how the receiver was basically tackled, and then after the collision with the defender, the receiver didn't get back on track. He, for whatever reason, bent his route. Fancher's ball was thrown exactly where it should have been - up the field which was open. He would have no way of knowing the receiver was going to change his route after the collision.
2) You didn't mention that two plays before, Fancher threw a seed in very tight coverage. As the commentator said, it was such a good throw, that just a split second later would have been an INT.
3) Two plays after your referenced play, Fancher (list most of the game) was hit 1.5 seconds after the snap. Literally, he had a defender touching him 1.5 seconds after the snap. But instead of being sacked like most QBs would have been, he used his legs to get out of it, scrambled, and threw another seed while on the run for 10 yards.

• Angry
You've made this comment in two separate threads, and since I didn't remember it, I went back and looked.

Fancher had two incompletions on their last drive. One was their final play when he was pressured, scrambling, and basically tossed it anywhere he could as he was being tackled. The only other incompletion was nothing like you described: a receiver wasn't "wide open," wasn't 20 yards down field, wasn't directly in front of him, and definitely would not have been the game winner even if it had been completed. As the commentators said, it looked like Fancher thought the receiver was going to sit his route down. Regardless, this couldn't have been the incompletion you were talking about, as none of it matched with what you said. On his final drive, on a 4th-and-8, he threw a beautiful ball for over a tightly covered receiver for a 20+ yard completion in the middle of the field.

Here is the full game replay. You can skip ahead to the end of the game and watch FAU's final drive. What incompletion were you talking about?

Game replay: https://www.foxsports.com/replay/fmc-wtxd8e1ewb2b968t
Play-by-play script: https://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay/_/gameId/401628453

If you're talking about the second-to-last drive, then you've neglected to do a few things;
1) You didn't mention how the receiver was basically tackled, and then after the collision with the defender, the receiver didn't get back on track. He, for whatever reason, bent his route. Fancher's ball was thrown exactly where it should have been - up the field which was open. He would have no way of knowing the receiver was going to change his route after the collision.
2) You didn't mention that two plays before, Fancher threw a seed in very tight coverage. As the commentator said, it was such a good throw, that just a split second later would have been an INT.
3) Two plays after your referenced play, Fancher (list most of the game) was hit 1.5 seconds after the snap. Literally, he had a defender touching him 1.5 seconds after the snap. But instead of being sacked like most QBs would have been, he used his legs to get out of it, scrambled, and threw another seed while on the run for 10 yards.
1. It may have been the next to last drive, not the final. Regardless, he completely overthrew the receiver.
2. I’ve never argued he hasn’t had flashes. He has. I’ve said he’s inconsistent. He is.
3. I don’t care enough to rewatch.

If you are arguing his passing hasn’t been inconsistent, regardless of protection, you’re being willfully ignorant. If you aren’t, then there’s not much debate here.

If you are arguing his passing hasn’t been inconsistent, regardless of protection, you’re being willfully ignorant. If you aren’t, then there’s not much debate here.
There is plenty to debate, especially since you felt strongly enough about the multiple incorrect claims to make them in two separate threads.

1) It wasn't on the last drive.
2) It wouldn't "likely have been the game winner." It would have left over four minutes for Michigan State to have four downs to kick a field goal to win it. Having a guaranteed four downs to move the chains is much, much different than the usual three downs, and the fact that they'd only need a field goal over four minutes makes it a lot easier.
3) Even if the pass had been completed, there was still at least one Michigan State defender prior to reaching the end zone (not even considering another defender being able to chase the receiver down).
4) The most important part: Had the receiver stayed on his route track and not bent it, the ball wouldn't have been over his head. It probably would have hit him in stride. The issue wasn't that the ball was over his head. The issue was that when Cam went to throw the ball, the receiver was just coming out of the collision. For whatever reason, he then bent the route instead of staying on track, causing the receiver to stop running and try to turn his hips and jump. Had he stayed on his track (where Cam expected him to be), he wouldn't have had to stop his route, flip his hips, and jump, which makes it look like the ball would have hit him in stride.

• Angry
There is plenty to debate, especially since you felt strongly enough about the multiple incorrect claims to make them in two separate threads.

1) It wasn't on the last drive.
2) It wouldn't "likely have been the game winner." It would have left over four minutes for Michigan State to have four downs to kick a field goal to win it. Having a guaranteed four downs to move the chains is much, much different than the usual three downs, and the fact that they'd only need a field goal over four minutes makes it a lot easier.
3) Even if the pass had been completed, there was still at least one Michigan State defender prior to reaching the end zone (not even considering another defender being able to chase the receiver down).
4) The most important part: Had the receiver stayed on his route track and not bent it, the ball wouldn't have been over his head. It probably would have hit him in stride. The issue wasn't that the ball was over his head. The issue was that when Cam went to throw the ball, the receiver was just coming out of the collision. For whatever reason, he then bent the route instead of staying on track, causing the receiver to stop running and try to turn his hips and jump. Had he stayed on his track (where Cam expected him to be), he wouldn't have had to stop his route, flip his hips, and jump, which makes it look like the ball would have hit him in stride.

Okey dokey. We don’t agree. I don’t care.

I don't care much either way, he's gone. I do find it funny so many of our fans are so determined to prove they were correct about him that they pile on after he's gone, after he led FAU to close loss at mich state. Really quite funny. We can all agree he's not a great QB but this makes three head coaches that think he's D1 so ....keep typing clowns

You must be new here.

I have consistently argued that Fancher isn't the guy a team should lean on if they need to throw for 400 yards to win. His style of play does, however, allow a good defensive team with a bad offense to have a chance against far more talented teams. His legs allow a bad offense to have the ball much longer than they should. Couple that with a good defensive team, and it sets the team up for potential success.

I’d rather have a good QB who makes my bad offense a good offense.

Dang, I thought this was a college football message board to discuss and argue over things that do not matter. Guess I came to the wrong place. Thanks 88

I’d rather have a good QB who makes my bad offense a good offense.
Well, no shit. We'd all love to have Byron's arm, Chad's head, and Fancher's legs in one quarterback, but this is Marshall, not Alabama. But instead, Marshall's fans decided to push out a kid who is good enough to be a starting QB at this level for many teams and who had an 11 game stretch where he went 10-1 as the quarterback, including a bowl win (would have been 11-1 but his 350 yards and four TDs weren't good enough to save the defense against a P5 school).

• Angry
I don't care much either way, he's gone. I do find it funny so many of our fans are so determined to prove they were correct about him that they pile on after he's gone, after he led FAU to close loss at mich state. Really quite funny. We can all agree he's not a great QB but this makes three head coaches that think he's D1 so ....keep typing clowns
All else staying the same, they could have ran wildcat with two backs and had the same, or better, result.

Well, no shit. We'd all love to have Byron's arm, Chad's head, and Fancher's legs in one quarterback, but this is Marshall, not Alabama. But instead, Marshall's fans decided to push out a kid who is good enough to be a starting QB at this level for many teams and who had an 11 game stretch where he went 10-1 as the quarterback, including a bowl win (would have been 11-1 but his 350 yards and four TDs weren't good enough to save the defense against a P5 school).

“The fans pushed out a kid who’s good enough to be a starter at this level”

Cool. There are a lot of guys who are good enough to be D1 qb’s that I don’t want running our offense. He’s one of them. Grant Wells was another. That’s such an incredibly low bar it’s stupid.

He has his flaws, and those flaws made him way too inconsistent.

“The fans pushed out a kid who’s good enough to be a starter at this level”

Cool. There are a lot of guys who are good enough to be D1 qb’s that I don’t want running our offense. He’s one of them. Grant Wells was another. That’s such an incredibly low bar it’s stupid.

He has his flaws, and those flaws made him way too inconsistent.
You'll have to excuse Rev. Rifle Sharpton. He never passes on an opportunity to White Knight.

GW was heavily criticized and treated basically the same as Fancher. It's not what fans should do, but that doesn't change the fact that it happens at any DI program. To pretend otherwise is just being deliberately naive.

How do fans push a guy out? That's a bullshit excuse.

FSU fans were chanting loudly for their backup Saturday. I guess we’re a big time fan base like them.

All three guys we played this year are better than Fancher. We got the addition thru subtraction plus addition. Fancher wouldn’t start here this year, so it’s good for him he’s gone.

Seriously???? You people need to get a life!! Bashing a kid that no longer plays here!! Bashing a kid period is sad on your part, but he's not even here so why post this on a Herd forum

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Well against FCS foes:

Garner Webb - 8/13, 47 yards 0-0 28 points
Albany - 28/35, 268 yards, 1-1 28 points

Saturday - 21/32, 290, 5-0 45 points

More ypa, more points, better TD/INT ratio.
Brilliant analysis, since we all know that different FCS teams are all exactly equally talented, Herd teams from different years are all exactly the same, etc.

nice kid, same QB (50% comp, more INTs vs. TDs, QBR ranked #129th in FBS). I always thought he should play a slot WR.

It must be discouraging to play a sport, give it your best, but know that you will never be much above mediocre.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT