ADVERTISEMENT

PRACTICE REPORT Saturday 8/3

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
I've lucked into some more help for the site (a detailed announcement coming later), so here is a report from yesterday's practice. Better late than never, right?

With that said, here you go:

*** Practice number two began under hot, sunny skies and a few handfuls of die-hard Herd football fans. If there was one thing that was easy to notice in practice number one it was intensity. Intensity was also on full display in practice session number two. There is so much talent at nearly every position, no player will be able to take day off in order to maintain their spot on the depth chart.

*** For the second consecutive practice it was also a full house on the field. It is clear that the entire official signing class of 2019 was eligible and on the field. When this occurs, it is easy to tell based on the shear number of bodies participating.

*** It is easy to find an exciting aspect of practice to focus attention. The running back position is loaded with talent. Last year Brenden Knox blasted onto the scene late in the year due to the injury to Tyler King. He ended the season with 578 yards rushing, on 6.1 yards per carry and he proved this against powerful defenses such as Virginia Tech and South Florida late in the year, going over 200 yards on the road against the Hokies.

*** Explosive returning redshirt junior Tyler King will also play heavily into the mix. King is just one of those players that a coach has to find a way to get on the field. King dealt with an injury last season, but is back and appears to be at full force this season. He brings some upperclassmen leadership to the field as well, as can be seen at practice. Sheldon Evans, a returning redshirt sophomore is also back and running the ball well.

*** Then there are the freshmen. A few years back the Herd featured the baby backs in Kevin Grooms, Steward Butler and Remi Watson, the three headed freshmen monster this season could fall into the same category. Lawrence Papillon, Jalynn Sykes and Knowledge McDaniel are the three being mentioned. Watching the three practice, it is difficult to tell that they are freshman. All three are big, fast, and confident with the football in their hands.

Other Practice Notes:

*** Corey Gammage is showing the ability to go get the football. It is easy to tell where he received his high rating from coming out of Delray Beach, Florida. He has excellent body control.

*** Independence Community College product, TJ Johnson has switched to number 15. He is playing at defensive end, at 259 pounds, and has a quick step off the snap. He will work into the mix with Darius Hodge, Marquis Couch, Fermin Silva, Koby Cumberlander and Sam Burton at defensive end. At his size, he could move over into the middle like the Herd did with Ty Tyler last season.

*** In a much too early in camp look at the depth chart, the starting offensive line appears to be, from left to right, Will Ulmer, Alex Mollette, Levi Brown, Cain Madden and Tarik Adams. Former 4-star Florida State transfer, Josh Ball is also getting reps with the ones at left tackle, bumping Ulmer to right tackle.

*** Speaking of Josh Ball, while watching the offensive lineman work out, I noticed Ball standing there. He looked small, nowhere near the 6’8, 350 pounds that he is listed. Then I quickly realized why. He was standing next to number 52. Number 52 is Ethan Driskell. Drisklee is a 6’9, 315 pound freshman from Holy Cross high School in Louisville, Kentucky.

*** The defensive line depth will not be an issue. So many names, and players of merit, it should not be difficult to get 8 of them to produce at the levels defensive coordinator Brad Lambert will expect. The group that this 8 will be derived:

Defensive Tackle:
Jamare Edwards
Channing Hames
Rodney Croom
Esaias Carpenter
Milan Lanier
Kyron Taylor
Joey Maddox
Elijah Alston
Jermaine Cross

Defensive End:
Marquis Couch
Fermin Silva
TJ Johnson
Daniel Foster
Sam Burton
Arak McDuffie
Owen Porter
Darius Hodge
Koby Cumberlander

*** The defensive line corner of the field has been a fun one to watch. Again, another area where it is difficult to tell which ones are the freshman, and which ones are returners.

*** Final Note: One player continually stood out in practice number two. I could not figure out who it was, it was a defensive lineman wearing number 19. I had in my mind that it was TJ Johnson, as he had switched to 15. Then I realized it wasn’t. It was Daniel Foster. Foster, many may have forgotten or missed, was a late addition to the class of 2019 out of Palm Beach Gardens.

Stay tuned for more updates and practice reports as camp rolls on.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News