ADVERTISEMENT

Search for the New Baseball Coach

bbneutralfan

Gold Buffalo
Sep 29, 2010
OK AD Spears appointed Joe Carbone to assist in this search but there has been no names mentioned since. Just how difficult is it to find a baseball coach? There has to be literally hundreds of good qualified candidates.

besides looking for a baseball coach, I think Joe has other things on his plate, like keeping the off season program going. Keeping the players in line so to speak, you know, things that a HC would do.

Yes. We should have a plethora of baseball coaches lined up and ready to start…because there are a lot of them. If we can hire them fast, then we can bitch about them being hired too quickly.
Exactly. Not sure why anyone would expect the process to be anywhere close to complete in this short amount of time.

Mainly because the time to part company with a college coach is just after the season, not six months later. This is thus an out of sync hire and the season will be here soon. We have an octogenarian trying to keep things afloat, and good for him, but the job needs filled right now.

Most good candidates with college experience have already made commitments to a team for next year, meaning we will get somebody aging out of minor league baseball. My guess is that person was known when they fired Wags.

Exactly. Not sure why anyone would expect the process to be anywhere close to complete in this short amount of time.
While I agree with that... I do think if you are going to fire a baseball coach in October, which is almost unheard of, you should already have a list of 4-5 guys ready to be called upon for interviews.

Spears seems like a smart guy, I can't imagine he got rid of Wagner with no idea what to do next. It's a dead period for baseball right now with fall ball being over and spring practice a few months off. I'd assume we hear something before Thanksgiving.

Typically Herd baseball generally begins play in early February and generally on the road due to weather here which means conditioning either begins when - now, December or January?

Typically Herd baseball generally begins play in early February and generally on the road due to weather here which means conditioning either begins when - now, December or January?
Feb. 1 is the first permissible practice day for baseball according to the NCAA website... I would guess conditioning and "voluntary workouts" probably start when the players get back from Christmas/New Year break.

While I agree with that... I do think if you are going to fire a baseball coach in October, which is almost unheard of, you should already have a list of 4-5 guys ready to be called upon for interviews.
Unless this wasn't a planned firing and something precipitated the need for the action.

Reactions: 19MU88
Feb. 1 is the first permissible practice day for baseball according to the NCAA website... I would guess conditioning and "voluntary workouts" probably start when the players get back from Christmas/New Year break.
It's D-1 athletics. Work with Strength and Conditioning is literally year round for every sport on campus.

Reactions: rvntx
OK AD Spears appointed Joe Carbone to assist in this search but there has been no names mentioned since. Just how difficult is it to find a baseball coach? There has to be literally hundreds of good qualified candidates.
And this week in Little League baseball… The Herd has hired the dad that played mlb on NES and was an all star wiffle ball player back in 64’…he was hired from a pool of “literally hundreds” of other great potential candidates. Some of the other front runners consist of John from Davis’ place, the head pastry maker at Rock City, Christian Spears’ dad (bc he has nothing else to do), and John Mandt Jr because he lost commissioner race and has an annoying truck.

Mainly because the time to part company with a college coach is just after the season, not six months later. This is thus an out of sync hire and the season will be here soon. We have an octogenarian trying to keep things afloat, and good for him, but the job needs filled right now.

Most good candidates with college experience have already made commitments to a team for next year, meaning we will get somebody aging out of minor league baseball. My guess is that person was known when they fired Wags.
Sounds like when we hired MS for football

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
No doubt Spears and those in the Schewey had some names in mind when Wags was let go. jmo

Few things.
1. Extremely important to make the right hire but it needs to be a timely one as well. The players deserve a chance to be around their Head Coach and get to know him/be comfortable with him. The players will be gone a full week in November with Thanksgiving break and Finals week is December the 8th. That leaves roughly 4 weeks of on campus activity between now and Christmas break. Break is five weeks. That puts the players back on campus for around 4 weeks before their season begins.
2. The players are currently having individual Baseball related workouts as well as weights/conditioning at a different time. They have by no means shut down simply because team practice has ended for the Fall.
3. The Baseball job is very appealing and will have no shortage of extremely qualified applicants despite the timing of all of this. Baseball wise the Sun Belt is a great conference sending multiple teams to regionals every year. That coupled with the addition of a new stadium will lead to a great coach.

Last edited:
Well if you listen to this board we have to get a coach from a warm climate. Because that matters.

Well if you listen to this board we have to get a coach from a warm climate. Because that matters.
There are only two top tier football teams from up North, Michigan and Ohio State. Usually one of those team is cannon fodder(or substitute Notre Dame in a given year) in the playoff. Ohio State lately being the best team from up North.

In baseball the balance of power and best play is down south and out west.

The South Has Risen Again and is the cultural and economic and the migration pattern of the country. Same with sports. If you can't beat 'em join 'em. Go where the quality is.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
I wanted to chime in that I trust Spears and Carbone to find a great coach. I have known Joe since 1967 when we were both at Ohio. I consider him a friend. He has been around college baseball at Ohio and on a national team level. My closest friends in college athletics have offered very good comments about Spears, too. I am optimistic that given time and control, he will lead Marshall to being consistent, then solid, then good, then superior. But as many point out, resources are tough to find so the department has its work cut out for it.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I wanted to chime in that I trust Spears and Carbone to find a great coach. I have known Joe since 1967 when we were both at Ohio. I consider him a friend. He has been around college baseball at Ohio and on a national team level. My closest friends in college athletics have offered very good comments about Spears, too. I am optimistic that given time and control, he will lead Marshall to being consistent, then solid, then good, then superior. But as many point out, resources are tough to find so the department has its work cut out for it.
Thanks for posting. Good to know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT