ADVERTISEMENT

So have any names leaked out for OC yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time for Marshall to start looking outside of the Marshall family and go after some younger coaches. Time to start building a younger staff for the future. Doc won't be here forever and Heater won't be as well. So let's start this off with a younger OC and go from there. Player relate better to a younger coach instead of a 60year old guy and it seems Doc will put a player in the doghouse and that player can't ever get out of said doghouse ( foster) and that will get back to new recruits bye texting or even on visits.

It's time for Marshall to start looking outside of the Marshall family and go after some younger coaches. Time to start building a younger staff for the future. Doc won't be here forever and Heater won't be as well. So let's start this off with a younger OC and go from there. Player relate better to a younger coach instead of a 60year old guy and it seems Doc will put a player in the doghouse and that player can't ever get out of said doghouse ( foster) and that will get back to new recruits bye texting or even on visits.

Saban obviously can’t relate. ;-)))

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Debating the recruiting of potentially "risky" players or not, just appears that with Hartley's departure, our ability to attract talented recruits from the talent laden state of Georgia has greatly diminished.

But alot of those players either quit or never showed up.

Ok GreenDuke let's go out and get all old ****s and see how we do. Is there any 70 year old Marshall alums that need a job or that gave once to the big green or that you think can relate to a 18 year old black kid from another state or a 18 year white kid from the deep South. I say no because most 60 and 70 year old men are stuck in the past and never want to change. And yes Saben isn't as good as he once was it's more about the school name and we're that school plays SEC.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Admit it GreenDuke - herdinmichigan is right. Marshall needs some younger, energetic coaches with whom high school athletes can relate to/with - not those in the geriatric group.

Reactions: herdinmichigan
No Sir just someone sick of all bullshit that some on here type every post and try to call people out if said person isn't in agreement with the person doing the calling out. At some point Sir your going to have to change or get the hell out of the way because your thinking is in the past Sir. Merry Christmas.

Admit it GreenDuke - herdinmichigan is right. Marshall needs some younger, energetic coaches with whom high school athletes can relate to/with - not those in the geriatric group.

I admit to nothing, lol.

I only pointed out that 65 year old Saban seems to “relate” ok. Didn’t make any comment on the MU coaching search. I certainly have no problem with younger coaching staffs.

Leftwich may be a fine coach someday, and I would be excited about him being on staff in some capacity, but he is not ready to be a D-I offensive coordinator. One year as a QB coach in the NFL is nothing like calling plays in college... Also, by all accounts I have read, he loves working for Bruce Arians in Arizona and has not shown an ounce of desire to return to Marshall.

We need to find a good OC from a smaller program and hire them away. No more of Doc's ol'buddies from the coaching tree and no reaching for someone that doesn't fit just because they "are a Marshall guy."... Just out of left field I would submit two names...

Sean Gleeson, OC at Princeton – In his first year as the OC after spending three years as a RB coach and one year as a QB coach, Gleeson's offense basically rewrote the Princeton and Ivy League record books. He is a hot name to get an FCS head coaching job or move up to the FBS ranks.

Eric Eidsness, OC at South Dakota State – One of the best scoring offenses in FCS. Not a young whipper snapper but not an old fogey either (I think he is 46) and runs a pro-style passing offense that would suit our personnel next season.

Utah's OC was the OC at Eastern Washington. They are doing just fine and will be very good next year.
Point being, get an up and comer in FCS who is eager to prove their worth in D1 and double their salary.

Reactions: RhinoD

I don't think Byron would leave the NFL. I also don't think he'd be up to it for being the OC either, since college is much different than the NFL.

Finally, we need to stop pretending either of the big 3, Leftwich, Pennington, or Pruett are the solution to literally everything. They are all great minds and provide tons of insight, and that's really all we should ask of them at this point. In short, they've done enough for MU, why do we need to keep going to them to do more? MU needs to be able to stand on its own two feet and do its own thing. Of course, consult them, but that's it.

I have no problem with hiring a young OC. But this is not the way to "build" a staff for the future post Doc. Coaching staffs are built from the top down, not the bottom up. Any new head coach who follows Doc will want his guys. It's possible, but unlikely, that an assistant coach or two hangs on in the transition.

I have no problem with hiring a young OC. But this is not the way to "build" a staff for the future post Doc. Coaching staffs are built from the top down, not the bottom up. Any new head coach who follows Doc will want his guys. It's possible, but unlikely, that an assistant coach or two hangs on in the transition.

I think the fan base has huge reservations about Doc's or Hamricks connections to solid coaches who have a history of success at previous jobs. The concern being that they hire a buddy who may have vast coaching experience but very little as an OC; or someone that has OC experience but has had marginal success at best. Sorta like Rippon - our DC a few years ago. jmo.

Cmon GreenDuke it’s Alabama - not Marshall. We are not even close in name and reputation. Pick a school on par with us. Bad analogy IMO.

I don't think Byron would leave the NFL. I also don't think he'd be up to it for being the OC either, since college is much different than the NFL.

Finally, we need to stop pretending either of the big 3, Leftwich, Pennington, or Pruett are the solution to literally everything. They are all great minds and provide tons of insight, and that's really all we should ask of them at this point. In short, they've done enough for MU, why do we need to keep going to them to do more? MU needs to be able to stand on its own two feet and do its own thing. Of course, consult them, but that's it.

I get not looking to Pennington or Pruett. Pruett is an old man, long out of coaching. Pennington has shown no interest in it.

But Leftwich is an actual coach. Bruce Arians says he is a natural and gifted coach and play caller. I don’t get why he isn’t an option. Nebraska didn’t say “we need to stop turning to Tom Osborne and Scott Frost.” The two can’t be lumped together. One is a retired old man and one is an up and coming coach. Same with Pruett and Leftwich. You can’t just put them both in the “past” bucket. Leftwich is a bright young coach at the start of his career. He seems a perfectly legitimate option to me. At least to talk to to gauge interest.

Cmon GreenDuke it’s Alabama - not Marshall. We are not even close in name and reputation. Pick a school on par with us. Bad analogy IMO.

I’ll type slower this time, I was not comparing Marshall to Alabama that would be ridiculous on so many levels. I was pointing out, in a funny internet way, an example of a old guy who seems to be doing well.

Reactions: ARandomHerdFan
I get not looking to Pennington or Pruett. Pruett is an old man, long out of coaching. Pennington has shown no interest in it.

But Leftwich is an actual coach. Bruce Arians says he is a natural and gifted coach and play caller. I don’t get why he isn’t an option. Nebraska didn’t say “we need to stop turning to Tom Osborne and Scott Frost.” The two can’t be lumped together. One is a retired old man and one is an up and coming coach. Same with Pruett and Leftwich. You can’t just put them both in the “past” bucket. Leftwich is a bright young coach at the start of his career. He seems a perfectly legitimate option to me. At least to talk to to gauge interest.

I see what you're saying but I just feel that MU fans keep wanting Marshall to move on from their own little inner circle.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
If you have 85% of shit, it is still shit. If you have 50% of gold, you still have some gold.

Having a lower attrition rate over a two year period is about development, the staff's academic program, etc. Sure, you can recruit kids who better fit the character you want in your program, but in doing so, you're taking a lower talent level of recruits, which is a decline in recruiting.
There really hasn't been a decline in recruiting when you look at the 2016-2017 classes. We have an 85% retention rate and the composite top-20 central mean rating of the recruits in those classes was around the norm for MU with the 2016 class being rated higher than the 2013 class and the 2017 class was rated at the same level as the 2012 class. The central mean offers for those two classes was 7 FBS and 2 P5 offers per recruit as well, and that falls in line with past classes. The 2016 and 2017 classes actually accounted for 12 starters and a total of 35 players in the 2-deep that contributed in 2017 while playing a combined 303 games and starting 127 so those two classes have been very good despite not having the flash of previous classes.

The current classes includes a bunch of solid core recruits that have been committed for quite a while and shut down their recruitments early, which resulted in less offers and less fan fare from the media and scouts. Porter was a 3-star that shut things down early and didn't really get anymore offers and it cost him in the ratings. Our OL/DL recruits in the class so far are all very good players and project to be multi-year starters at MU. We landed a late bloomer at WR that scored a TD about every 3-4 touches that will make a very good X-receiver, a solid TE prospect that fits our system and another local LB with a lot of upside. The remaining spots in the classes will be filled with recruits at the flashier positions and we are in good position with quite a few 3-star plus recruits so we could close strong.

Reactions: ohio herd
PD said that Marshall was going after less talented, less risky recruits now. Less talented, less risky means “smarter, less likely to get in trouble, won’t steal, and don’t assault people.”

It’s an easy conversation to follow. Try reading it a few more times.
PD said that Marshall was going after less talented, less risky recruits now. Less talented, less risky means “smarter, less likely to get in trouble, won’t steal, and don’t assault people.”

It’s an easy conversation to follow. Try reading it a few more times.
I didn't say less talented, I said less risky recruits in terms of character, off-field, and academics. If look back, a lot of our attrition was with recruits that left the program due to not earning a starting spot instead of dismissals or academic problems. We still have this happening occasionally, like all programs do, but it isn't an epidemic like it was with Seider's classes.

I believe we have 6 Futures in school right now. Are they considered low risk? And, did we take them as Futures after knowing of red flags?
None of our futures had off-field issues or red flags. They simply just didn't meet NCAA qualifying requirements per their core GPA and test score combinations. All 6 have a ton of potential.

Reactions: 31Herd55
Debating the recruiting of potentially "risky" players or not, just appears that with Hartley's departure, our ability to attract talented recruits from the talent laden state of Georgia has greatly diminished.
Since Hartley left after 2015 class, we have signed 11 recruits from GA with 7 of those recruits having a composite 3-star plus rating, and we still have several targets on the board from that state. Our recruiting in the state fine overall. Hartley and Seider both took too many risks in recruiting to be honest. It lead to high rated classes with some flashy recruits but it was mixed bag overall with high attrition rates.

pdbailey - Do you see jucos and /or 5th year transfers in the mix?
I'm not sure about grad transfers but we are recruiting JUCOs at WR, OT, and LB. That could change though if Brady and Young are staying as rumored at this point, but we are tight on qualified spots and may not take any JUCOs.

But alot of those players either quit or never showed up.
Yeah, only 5 of 15 GA recruits in the 2014-2015 classes when Hartley was RC are either on the roster or completed their eligibility. The 2016-2017 classes with Goebbel as RC had 11 GA recruits with 9 still in the program and 3 are already starters. Treier is the current RC for the 2018 class and I like what we have so far and what we may get if our coaches close the deal in January/February.

Outside of Doc, Legg, and Heater our coaching staff was pretty young overall with most guys having graduated from college in the late 90s. None of the current names for the OC position are old guys either, and when heater decides to leave or retire, he will likely be replaced by Fuller as DC.

There really hasn't been a decline in recruiting when you look at the 2016-2017 classes.

You're living in a fantasy world. When looking at reality, you will see these facts:

2010: National Rank - 78 C-USA Rank - 2 Average Stars-80.61
2011: National Rank - 60 C-USA Rank - 1 Average Stars-80.85
2012: National Rank - 78 C-USA Rank - 2 Average Stars-78.64
2013: National Rank - 58 C-USA Rank - 1 Average Stars-82.07
2014: National Rank - 62 C-USA Rank - 1 Average Stars-80.17
2015: National Rank - 75 C-USA Rank - 1 Average Stars-80.55
2016: National Rank - 51 C-USA Rank - 1 Average Stars- 81.10
2017: National Rank - 87 C-USA Rank - 6 Average Stars- 80.06
2018: National Rank - 126 C-USA Rank - 13 Average Stars- 76.78

In years past, Marshall would get multiple 4-star players, 19 3-star players in a class, etc. This year? Marshall has 1 3-star committed. You can't avoid those facts.

There has been a drastic decline in the last two signing classes. Stating otherwise is burying your head in the sand.

The central mean offers for those two classes was 7 FBS and 2 P5 offers per recruit as well, and that falls in line with past classes.

There can be huge variations between who those teams are. If those 7 FBS teams are mostly NMSU, Idaho, Monroe, etc. one year compared with NC State, Miami, Cinci, etc. another year, it is safe to say that the latter recruit would be higher ranked.

The 2016 and 2017 classes actually accounted for 12 starters and a total of 35 players in the 2-deep that contributed in 2017 while playing a combined 303 games and starting 127 so those two classes have been very good despite not having the flash of previous classes.

I can't believe I have to spell this out for you. You're now judging recruiting classes based on how many of them become starters. Well, check out how those 2016 and 2017 classes have done in terms of wins and losses now that they have started. Compare that to the previous six classes of Marshall recruits and how those classes did in terms of wins and losses.

If you have a bunch of slaps starting, it doesn't make them good recruits if they can't win games.

I didn't say less talented, I said less risky recruits in terms of character, off-field, and academics.

You didn't have to say it. I said it for you. You're saying Marshall isn't getting less talented recruits now, but rather, they are simply getting just as talented recruits with less red flags. That begs the question: if the talent level is still the same, why are the classes rated so much lower? One would think if the recruits talent levels are the same, yet one has less baggage, then they would get more offers and possibly be even higher ranked. But that isn't what is happening.

For us to take him it must not have been too bad to be honest.

Are you purposely telling jokes? Is your last name Stowers?

It doesn't say what he did, and it doesn't look like he did jail time. This would explain why he went from being a 4-star recruit to a 2-star recruit. For us to take him it must not have been too bad to be honest.

Come on PD, are you saying jail time is the only criteria for a red flag when recruiting a prospect?

You are correct, we don’t know why he was expelled, but a few months beforehand his coach was praising him and speaking about how Naquan was important to the football team and community after he was shot in a drive by. He then gets kicked off the team and school for something “not too bad”? That doesn’t add up.

I hope Naquan gets eligible after sitting out as a prop, takes over for Brady’s X receiver spot, succeeds and gets a degree, but his background does fit players that Doc recruited in his earlier classes.

https://www.orangeobserver.com/arti...ooting-west-orange-football-star-ready-season

Ok GreenDuke let's go out and get all old ****s and see how we do. Is there any 70 year old Marshall alums that need a job or that gave once to the big green or that you think can relate to a 18 year old black kid from another state or a 18 year white kid from the deep South. I say no because most 60 and 70 year old men are stuck in the past and never want to change. And yes Saben isn't as good as he once was it's more about the school name and we're that school plays SEC.

LOLZ, hire Pruett for OC and have him be HCIW in a few more years when Doc retires.

He got into a fist fight with a teammate, that is what got him expelled.

Another example of the "Pussification" of society in general. When I played HS ball, if you got into a fight with a teammate the coach just naturally assumed that practice that day was not physically taxing enough, and that you must still have some extra energy left. So after a few rounds of "Bull in the Ring", 100 yard Bear-Crawls (with the guy you got in a fight with on your back), finished off with Stadium Steps until one of you puked, you learned to workout your differences. Try that today and you'd have a line of attorneys and the ACLU waiting to cash in. However back in the day no one lost the opportunity to continue their education due to an extra curricular activity fight.

Reactions: kdbherdon
You're living in a fantasy world. When looking at reality, you will see these facts:

2010: National Rank - 78 C-USA Rank - 2 Average Stars-80.61
2011: National Rank - 60 C-USA Rank - 1 Average Stars-80.85
2012: National Rank - 78 C-USA Rank - 2 Average Stars-78.64
2013: National Rank - 58 C-USA Rank - 1 Average Stars-82.07
2014: National Rank - 62 C-USA Rank - 1 Average Stars-80.17
2015: National Rank - 75 C-USA Rank - 1 Average Stars-80.55
2016: National Rank - 51 C-USA Rank - 1 Average Stars- 81.10
2017: National Rank - 87 C-USA Rank - 6 Average Stars- 80.06
2018: National Rank - 126 C-USA Rank - 13 Average Stars- 76.78

In years past, Marshall would get multiple 4-star players, 19 3-star players in a class, etc. This year? Marshall has 1 3-star committed. You can't avoid those facts.

There has been a drastic decline in the last two signing classes. Stating otherwise is burying your head in the sand.

There can be huge variations between who those teams are. If those 7 FBS teams are mostly NMSU, Idaho, Monroe, etc. one year compared with NC State, Miami, Cinci, etc. another year, it is safe to say that the latter recruit would be higher ranked.

I can't believe I have to spell this out for you. You're now judging recruiting classes based on how many of them become starters. Well, check out how those 2016 and 2017 classes have done in terms of wins and losses now that they have started. Compare that to the previous six classes of Marshall recruits and how those classes did in terms of wins and losses.

If you have a bunch of slaps starting, it doesn't make them good recruits if they can't win games.

You didn't have to say it. I said it for you. You're saying Marshall isn't getting less talented recruits now, but rather, they are simply getting just as talented recruits with less red flags. That begs the question: if the talent level is still the same, why are the classes rated so much lower? One would think if the recruits talent levels are the same, yet one has less baggage, then they would get more offers and possibly be even higher ranked. But that isn't what is happening.

Are you purposely telling jokes? Is your last name Stowers?
So when is Doc hiring you for a job? Oh yeah, that right, he thinks you suck as a coach and passed on you. But you always pass yourself off on here as a great coach and the best recruiter of all time. Why don't you ever tell anyone who you coach for if that is the case? I'll be honest, I'm tired of your sorry ass coming on here to do nothing but trash MU. That's all you ever do.

I deal in statistics and you put the info up from 247Sports and it shows that the average rating of the recruits in the 2016 and 2017 classes are right in line with previous classes. In other words, we consistently recruit the same caliber of recruits across all of our classes. The 2018 class isn't over yet and the guys we have signed haven't even been evaluated in most cases because they didn't go to the required camps to get evaluated and shut down their recruitment early. The flashy signings will be in January as most the of the remaining signees will be at the skill positions and we have quite a few good ones on the board, and if you look at the offer list, you will notice we continue to recruit a lot of highly rated players.

As for the starters comment, the 2016 class only had 10 players play in 2016 and only 2 started with the 2016 season being on the players from the previous classes and attrition. In 2017, the same 2016 class accounted for 8 starters and 29 played in the 2-deep with MU finishing with a 8-5 record. I would say that class is a pretty good start at this point. The 2017 class had 6 play and only 2 start for a class that redshirted all but 1 HS recruit. The jury is still out on the 2017 class, but all but 1 3-star plus recruit is still in the program and all but two non-kicker recruits were not rated a high 2-star or better so the class has good depth overall.

With all those number one rated classes, why have we only won 1 CUSA title?
Attrition and recruits that did not enroll among the 3-star plus recruits from the 2012-2015 classes have not helped, but you could have a very good team every year and it not mean anything if there is one team better than you every year. In terms of attrition, those classes orchestrated by Seider and Hartley only had a retention rate of 35.4% (23 of 65) among 3-star plus recruits in those classes where those players either completed their eligibility or are on the current roster.

Here are the 5-yr records for each class:
2010 - 40-25
2011 - 45-21
2012 - 41-24
2013 - 44-22
2014 - 34-18
2015 - 21-17
2016 - 11-14
2017 - 8-5

Here are the 4-yr records for each class: This is a better measure as the 1st of 5 years usually has minimal participation
2010 - 35-18
2011 - 38-15
2012 - 36-17
2013 - 34-18
2014 - 21-17
2015 - 11-14
2016 - 8-5
2017 - N/A

You're changing the discussion. Nobody is contesting that there are hidden gems out there. That isn't a point of contention. Of course, you're going to fare far better signing a ton of five-star recruits than two-star recruits. A tired, illogical argument is when people ramble off all of the walk-ons or lowly rated recruits who end up playing in the NFL. Sure, they exist. But facts easily show that the five-star kids end up being better college and professional players than the two-star kids. That means the recruiting rankings do have a high level of merit. The rankings aren't perfect, but they are more often right than wrong.

What is being discussed is if Marshall's recruiting has declined or not over the last couple of years. Based on the recruiting rankings, it has declined significantly. You can argue that the drop is due to passing up some of the high-risk/high-reward character issue recruits Marshall has gone after in the past. That may be so. It still doesn't change the fact that the recruiting has declined.

Am I wrong, or isn't Marshall still getting almost entirely 2 star athletes same as always? I think that's actually pretty good considering the team is in C-USA, and well, Marshall is located in Huntington, which it is no secret has a bad national reputation for crime these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT