ADVERTISEMENT

So. Just how bad is our passing game.

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
Through nine games our QBs have passed for a grand total of 8 touchdowns. Colombi has 6 and Fancher has 2. Our passing offense is averaging .89 TDs per game. At this rate they will finish with 10-11 TDs on the season and 11-12 if we reach a bowl. That's assuming they actually throw a TD. Fancher's two TDs came against Norfolk and then at JMU. As a starter he has thrown just 1 TD in three games of action. It's even worse if you remove the FCS opponents. That drops the number to 4 total TDs thrown against FBS oppoenents.

So just where does that futility rank all-time? You have to go back to the 2005 season when Morris and Skinner combined for 12 TDs throwing 6 a piece. In 1986 Peterson and Gregory combined for 14 throwing 8 and 6 respectively.

Potentially the duo of Colombi and Fancher could produce the lowest TD total since Ted Carpenter and Carol Fodor failed to throw a TD back in 1982.

I'm still not so confident that we even make a bowl game and even if we did I think there's a high chance that we see at least one more game without a TD thrown.

So to match what we're seeing now you have to look back to Mark Snyder's first season or the early 80s on back when we were rebuilding when or running the veer.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: HerdFB1
Mtv Party GIF by GooWoo Media

Through nine games our QBs have passed for a grand total of 8 touchdowns. Colombi has 6 and Fancher has 2. Our passing offense is averaging .89 TDs per game. At this rate they will finish with 10-11 TDs on the season and 11-12 if we reach a bowl. That's assuming they actually throw a TD. Fancher's two TDs came against Norfolk and then at JMU. As a starter he has thrown just 1 TD in three games of action. It's even worse if you remove the FCS opponents. That drops the number to 4 total TDs thrown against FBS oppoenents.

So just where does that futility rank all-time? You have to go back to the 2005 season when Morris and Skinner combined for 12 TDs throwing 6 a piece. In 1986 Peterson and Gregory combined for 14 throwing 8 and 6 respectively.

Potentially the duo of Colombi and Fancher could produce the lowest TD total since Ted Carpenter and Carol Fodor failed to throw a TD back in 1982.

I'm still not so confident that we even make a bowl game and even if we did I think there's a high chance that we see at least one more game without a TD thrown.

So to match what we're seeing now you have to look back to Mark Snyder's first season or the early 80s on back when we were rebuilding when or running the veer.
I mentioned this Saturday. If you take out the fcs teams we’ve thrown 4 total tds

As I said before, we make Cabell Midlands offense look like the ole Houston "Air Raid' offense. lol!

These guys are definitely not chasing Cato’s record for consecutive games with a passing TD.

I mentioned this Saturday. If you take out the fcs teams we’ve thrown 4 total tds
I know it's if ands or buts, but if you remove Notre Dame which has proven to be a far outlier on the season this has probably been one of the worst season in the history of this program. We just have some very shiny lipstick on a very disgusting pig.

We are heading into game 10 without a single QB throwing for at least 1,000 yards. We keep comparing them to Grant, but even Green was better than these guys. Throwing for 15 TDs in each season and thrwing for 2,459 and 2,438 in 18 and 19.

Colombi and Fancher just suck and our coaches are worse than Snyder and they make Doc looking like Lombardi.

Reactions: HerdGreen
Army has 5 passing touchdowns this season. We are nearly service academy option football with smart guys level of passing.

I didn't even bother to look up Navy and Air Force. Probably near the same stat.

Moss have 5 td receptions in one game and we have 8 as a team nearing the end of the season?

How is this even possible? Especially in modern football. Teams score points, a lot of them.

Army has 5 passing touchdowns this season. We are nearly service academy option football with smart guys level of passing.

I didn't even bother to look up Navy and Air Force. Probably near the same stat.

Moss have 5 td receptions in one game and we have 8 as a team nearing the end of the season?

How is this even possible? Especially in modern football. Teams score points, a lot of them.
Here are the yards and TDs of every qualifying starter since we moved back to I-A/FBS. I guess guys like Birdsong and Thomson don't qualify for the MU Record books because they aren't in it.

In their limited action Birdsong had 365 and 2 TDs while Thomson had 506 yards and 5 TDs.

SeasonQBYards TD Passes
2022Fancher7582
Colombi9436
2021Wells3,53216
2020 (10 games)Wells2,09118
2019Green2,43815
2018Green2,45915
2017Litton3,11525
2016Litton2,61224
2015Litton2,60523
2014Cato3,90340
2013Cato3,91639
2012Cato4,20137
2011Cato2,05915
Graham7147
2010Anderson2,35820
2009Anderson2,64614
2008Cann1,76714
2007Morris3,14917
2006Morris1,3498
Skinner8788
2005Skinner1,1356
Morris1,1216
2004Hill2,38718
2003Hil1,76715
Gochneaur1,1637
2002Leftwich4,26830
Hill5365
2001Lefwich4,13238
2000Leftwich3,57922
1999Pennington4,00638
1998Pennington3,83028
1997Pennington3,81742

Reactions: bris1112
If we would have hit the passes we should have Saturday we would have beat them 35 to zip or something like that.

And SMU's starter threw 9 against Houston.

No jab intended, but man we seem obsessed with WKU. Probably the most referenced team on this board right now.

WKU gets mentioned a lot because they lose staff, they lose qbs, they lose cordinators, wrs etc and they constantly have a potent offense. If they can do it, then there is no reason we can't. It comes down to coaching and an eye for talent.

Reactions: ohio herd
WKU gets mentioned a lot because they lose staff, they lose qbs, they lose cordinators, wrs etc and they constantly have a potent offense. If they can do it, then there is no reason we can't. It comes down to coaching and an eye for talent.
I think some are overvaluing what WKU has been able to do. Since they got hot when first entering CUSA and owned the conference in 2015 and 16 they have went 6-7, 3-9, 9-4, 5-7, 9-5, and are 6-4 this year. As evidenced by the posts over the last several years that is not acceptable production here. Stats are great and all, but it isn't translating to all that much. Again not compared to what we're on here demanding week in and week out. We weren't happy with 7-3 and a division title in 2020, we were starting to bail on Huff after going 7-6 last season and nearly this entire board wouldn't be happy with this season even if we won out and finished 9-5.

If we're looking to WKU as some sort of football standard we're really not going to be much better off. It's just a flashier version.

I think some are overvaluing what WKU has been able to do. Since they got hot when first entering CUSA and owned the conference in 2015 and 16 they have went 6-7, 3-9, 9-4, 5-7, 9-5, and are 6-4 this year. As evidenced by the posts over the last several years that is not acceptable production here. Stats are great and all, but it isn't translating to all that much. Again not compared to what we're on here demanding week in and week out. We weren't happy with 7-3 and a division title in 2020, we were starting to bail on Huff after going 7-6 last season and nearly this entire board wouldn't be happy with this season even if we won out and finished 9-5.

If we're looking to WKU as some sort of football standard we're really not going to be much better off. It's just a flashier version.
Literally said nothing about their win/loss record. I was talking about their offense and ability to have and maintain such a potent offense. Since all our woes this year are on offense I do not think it is that far fetched to look at other teams positives. We should be finding out how to put a competent offense together and WKU is the first place I would look. Not saying we should model our whole program after them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT