ADVERTISEMENT

Sonny Randle

Tim Hensley

Gold Buffalo
Feb 2, 2009
While down at the UK softball venue, MH showed us a picture on his phone sent by the wife of Sonny Randle. Didn't even look like him and is apparently in hospice... I always though it was he -- not Stan Parish -- who laid the foundation for turning our football program around. He was fired after beating VMI something like 49-7 in his last game. Mike, Carl Lee and others played for and still have a lot of respect for him. Let's keep Coach Sonny in our prayers.

While down at the UK softball venue, MH showed us a picture on his phone sent by the wife of Sonny Randle. Didn't even look like him and is apparently in hospice... I always though it was he -- not Stan Parish -- who laid the foundation for turning our football program around. He was fired after beating VMI something like 49-7 in his last game. Mike, Carl Lee and others played for and still have a lot of respect for him. Let's keep Coach Sonny in our prayers.

Prayers and best wishes for Coach Randle. In my adult life of following Herd sports he and Coach Ellis Johnson are, by far, the most colorful head coaches in FB and BB that we have had. Mainly by some of their colorful sayings, phraseology, etc.

Always had some great repeatable comments - very colorful and probably was on the edge of turning the program. Wish him all the best.

I think Sonny definitely laid the foundation and honestly felt he would have got the same results the next year if they gave him one more year. I remember his players carrying him off on his shoulders after the VMI game. He was definitely one of the great characters in Marshall history and I used to love to hear him and Keith Morehouse broadcasting the games in later years.

Reactions: ohio herd
Imagine what SR (and those before and just after him) had to work with. Anytime you want to B&M about where the program is today, just remember where we were not that long ago. Rotten stadium, off-campus in the hood, no practice facility, zero TV money, a few $$ in radio money, worn out turf, hostile state government, hostile faculty clique that want to shut down sports, bus travel in a pointless spread out conference made up more than anything of whoever wanted in, recruiting whoever you could find.

I have heard that when SP came in, one of his conditions was we pop for a complete set of unis (which were Penn State plain because that was all we could afford). Imagine that. I would be MU spends more on helmet wash today than the entire budget back then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT