ADVERTISEMENT

Sons of Anarchy

wvkeeper(HN)

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 4, 2007
Muswell Hillbilly
Starting another run into a series on Netflix...finished the first season tonight.

Awesome....awesome stuff. So many layers, great writing and acting.

It drops off significantly after the first couple off seasons. The last two were so ridiculous I only watched occassionally out of morbid curiosity.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Don't listen to Thunder Keep, that show gets much better as it goes. Behind Breaking Bad it's my number two show of all time.

Justified is the best show on TV.

I'm surprised Rifle doesn't watch it. Justified is his kind of people. Harlan County Kentucky white racist, white trash, and plenty of whores.

I watch that show as well, but it's not the best on TV right now and never was. The Americans also on FX is much better.

Originally posted by Marine03:
I watch that show as well, but it's not the best on TV right now and never was. The Americans also on FX is much better.
All depends on your taste. Personally, I'm a redneck similar to the types shown on Justified, so I prefer that kind of redneckery.

Sons and Justified are both good but not great, in my opinion. The writing is nowhere near on par with Breaking Bad, the Wire, True Detective or a few others. To me, they come across a little too cheesy at times. I find the action sequences on Sons especially lame. Sons is basically a soap opera for dudes. Same with Justified.

Not saying I don't enjoy these shows. I just don't consider 'em top shelf. I lost interest eventually. I may eventually finish them, but it's not a priority.

The Wire was awesome, I've never watched True Detective so I can't comment.

My all time favorites in no particular order:

Breaking Bad
SOA
Friday night lights
The Americans
Justified
The Shield, show was Bad Ass.
The Wire
Walking Dead

The Wire was awesome, I've never watched True Detective so I can't comment.

My all time favorites in no particular order:

Breaking Bad
SOA
Friday night lights
The Americans
Justified
The Shield, show was Bad Ass.
The Wire
Walking Dead
The only show on the list I'm not familiar with is Friday Night Lights. I read the book and then watched the movie when it finally came out. But that doesn't count lol. I remember reading/hearing good things about it.

I'm watching season two of the Americans now on Netflix. I really like this show. I don't know what it is about period shows, but I tend to really like them.

Cranston's performance throughout the entire run of Breaking Bad may be the single greatest ever on tv. Although Gandolfini is up there too.

If anybody likes British cop shows and happens to have a Hulu Plus account, check out the original BBC version of Life on Mars. I think it was badass. ABC did a version with Harvey Keitel that wasn't half as good. Modern-day cop gets hit by a car and wakes up in 1973, still a cop. So, again, a period show. But with a twist.

Hemlock Grove is good show on Netflix. Very catchy, no middle ground. You'll love it or hate it. I really like it, pissed that there will be only 1 more season, will be only 3 seasons all together.

And you cannot go wrong with X-Files on Netflix. My favorite 90s show. I binged watched it last year. Took me about 10 months to watch it all. Over 200 episodes. Damn good show. I hope rumors are true about new upcoming X-Files movie and if so, I hope it's 100x better than that movie they made back in 2007 or 2008. That was terrible and a disgrace to the entire series. Need to redeem themselves.

House of Cards season 3 will streaming February 27th.
This post was edited on 1/29 6:12 PM by bEER_Nation13

SOA is a good show but not great. I also agree the last 2 seasons dropped off. The show creator and main writer Kurt Sutter compromised some story lines to keep Katey Sagal's character, his wife in real life, too important at times.

Justified and The Americans are both really good shows. The same goes for Hannibal on NBC.

If you want a show just for entertainment and quirkiness, check out From Dusk till Dawn: The Series. Not bad, not great.

As for shows available on Netflix, Luther is a great show, the same with The Fall and Orphan Black. All three are BBC or BBC America shows.

Fox is in talks about doing a limited run X-Files series, similar to the "24" they did this year. Mulder and Scully are both on board.

Game of thrones and the walking dead are the two best shows on television right now, imho. Justified is good, not great. SOA turned into a freaking train wreck the last couple of seasons. More unrealistic than most comic- book based shows that are on. True Detective wad on a class by itself. The leftovers is also really good.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Got to the first couple of episodes of Season 3 (Gemma just collapsed after getting a phone call from Belfast).

Season 2 was insanely off-the-hook awesome.

My wife and I have been watching Leverage with Timothy Hutton. We're about to finish it up and will need something new to take its place. I'm considering SOA. But I believe I'll get her to watch the first two seasons of House of Cards first so that she will understand the backstory in the upcoming third season at the end of the month. Because when season 3 starts that's all that will be on my tv. At least for one weekend.

Is Shield on Netflix? My wife and I tried to watch Blue Blood but couldn't get into it. We watched Numbers before we watched Leverage and enjoyed that as well.

Tonight is the series premier of "Better Call Saul".

If you're a fan of Breaking Bad, I'm sure you'll enjoy this new spinoff show. Pretty much same writers, producers, directors, location, etc as Breaking Bad. Vince Gilligan was the man behind Breaking Bad and he's one behind Better Call Saul.

I expect another brilliant masterpiece.

Behind Breaking Bad it's my number two show of all time.

I am late to this party. Got season 1 for Christmas and can't wait to get started. A lot of people I talk to love this series and it sounds right up my alley. This week, Target had every season on DVD for $10 each so I picked them all up. Gonna be some binge watching on my near future.

What Better Call Saul has working against it is Breaking Bad. People will expect it to be as good as BB right from the first episode. That's a lot of pressure. Also Bob Odenkirk doesn't give the vibe as a strong lead for a show.

One show I'm looking forward to watching is Bosch. It's from Amazon and is based on the Harry Bosch books from Michael Connelly. The show stars Titus Welliver. It débuts February 13th.

Originally posted by mubaseballking:
What Better Call Saul has working against it is Breaking Bad. People will expect it to be as good as BB right from the first episode. That's a lot of pressure. Also Bob Odenkirk doesn't give the vibe as a strong lead for a show.

One show I'm looking forward to watching is Bosch. It's from Amazon and is based on the Harry Bosch books from Michael Connelly. The show stars Titus Welliver. It débuts February 13th.
I haven't watched Bosch yet, but I love the series. I haven't read every book, but I've read well over half. I'm just not super into fiction as a rule, but that guy writes some killer mystery. Before he went into fiction, he was a cops reporter in L.A. Talk about a goldmine of source material.

We watched the first 3-4 episodes of Bosch last night via Amazon Prime. It's good. Looks really very promising. Strong cast. Couple of guys from the Wire, plus one of the Irish guys from Sons as Bosch.

Originally posted by wvkeeper(HN):
Finished Season 6...pretty much just watching to finish at this point. Not really into it anymore.
That's kind of what happened to me. I mean, you lasted a little longer than I did. I lost interest after they SPOILER ALERT killed two key characters. The introduction of Smits just didn't do anything for me. It happens...

I really liked Smits character, I wish they would have killed off Tara and Jax about season two instead of having them be the focus of the whole series.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT