ADVERTISEMENT

Spears snags Stephens to lead Lady Herd

…..some on here (if there’s even enough interest to post) will criticize CS for not casting a broader net, but in this case you have a proven winner of a national title (and currrntly seeking a 2nd) right here in the 304! It makes so much sense I had to read the announcement twice. We just don’t do it this way @ Marshall!! Token effort? I think not…..

Reactions: Elkview
That statement release tries to make it “non-official” yet because her team is still playing.

Just like the “nothing official” over the weekend of Pitino and Cooley going to St John’s and Georgetown

Last edited:
That statement release tries to make it “non-official” yet because her team is still playing.

Just like the “nothing official” over the weekend of Pitino and Cooley going to St John’s and Providence
You mean Georgetown right?

This is a good hire if it happens... In today's HD Chuck says WVU may suddenly have interest in Stephens since their coach bolted for Minnesota.

At the end of the day, who cares? MU women's basketball is NBD. Blunt truth is that there really are enough women who are good at basketball to staff about 50 teams. But the government says every college that has a men's team has to have a women's team. There just are not enough good players to go around, so you see the 50 point in-conference blow outs, the ridiculous level of poor play, and the comical antics. Marshall is never going to be big time enough to get any of the handful of good players, so go with the flow.

So this Stephens woman will make five or six times what she ever made at D2 and gets out of a dying college in a dying town. Either from us or from the Spamies (Hoppy has a big butt-hurt column about the previous coach leaving, the easiest way to piss off a Spamite (even the mostly rational ones like Hoppy) is to tell them there is another level above them (actually there are several) and to move up). Good for her.

Just go to the state tournament and offer the best five or six girls every year a chance at a debt-free Marshall five-star education. Make their lives better. It is all we can do with the way that sport is set up.

At the end of the day, who cares? MU women's basketball is NBD. Blunt truth is that there really are enough women who are good at basketball to staff about 50 teams. But the government says every college that has a men's team has to have a women's team. There just are not enough good players to go around, so you see the 50 point in-conference blow outs, the ridiculous level of poor play, and the comical antics. Marshall is never going to be big time enough to get any of the handful of good players, so go with the flow.

So this Stephens woman will make five or six times what she ever made at D2 and gets out of a dying college in a dying town. Either from us or from the Spamies (Hoppy has a big butt-hurt column about the previous coach leaving, the easiest way to piss off a Spamite (even the mostly rational ones like Hoppy) is to tell them there is another level above them (actually there are several) and to move up). Good for her.

Just go to the state tournament and offer the best five or six girls every year a chance at a debt-free Marshall five-star education. Make their lives better. It is all we can do with the way that sport is set up.
Lighten up Sammie. Nothing concerning Marshall is ever good enough for you. You've got all the right answers. We've never hired the right person. We've never fired the right person. We're never going to build anything. "So this Stephens woman" won a DII natty last year and is in the Final Four this year. She recruited good players to "a dying college in a dying town." That last sentence should make her well-equipped to recruit kids to Marshall. According to you Hton is dying. Give this young lady a chance. I think she'll surprise you.

So this Stephens woman will make five or six times what she ever made at D2 and gets out of a dying college in a dying town.
I mostly agree with you, but according to Chuck her current salary at Glenville State is $220,000 a year... She might make an extra $100k at Marshall, but I can't imagine we are going to break bank for a women's basketball coach.

Women's basketball is a great draw in about 10 college towns across the country -- UConn, Tennessee, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Stanford, LSU, Duke, Iowa, Texas Tech, etc. Other than that, its pretty much an afterthought, so give a local coach a chance and see if she can turn it into something at MU. If so, great... If not, nothing hurt.

Lighten up Sammie. Nothing concerning Marshall is ever good enough for you. You've got all the right answers. We've never hired the right person. We've never fired the right person. We're never going to build anything. "So this Stephens woman" won a DII natty last year and is in the Final Four this year. She recruited good players to "a dying college in a dying town." That last sentence should make her well-equipped to recruit kids to Marshall. According to you Hton is dying. Give this young lady a chance. I think she'll surprise you.
So UConn should be worried then?

Good players? Have you ever even watched women's basketball?

If the best male basketball player is a "100", then the 50th best is a 99, and the 5000th best is a 90. If the best women's basketball player is a 100, then the 30th best is an 80 and the 200th best is a 2.

Its fine. Its the law. Just toss a team out there of mostly locals and help them out with student debt.

Reactions: Elkview
So UConn should be worried then?

Good players? Have you ever even watched women's basketball?

If the best male basketball player is a "100", then the 50th best is a 99, and the 5000th best is a 90. If the best women's basketball player is a 100, then the 30th best is an 80 and the 200th best is a 2.

Its fine. Its the law. Just toss a team out there of mostly locals and help them out with student debt.
I dunno Sam - she subs 5 at a time, full court presses the entire 40, doesn’t get theatrical on the side lines but is in touch with her players in game in a way our men’s coach apparently cannot pull off. As Meech stated earlier, easy on the eyes as well! Hope it happens…..

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Just toss a team out there of mostly locals and help them out with student debt.
There's probably some locals that could play, but if you check out Glenville's roster, you can see that their coach actually recruits outside of the '304' and Baltic nations. Pretty damn amazing, considering the school is located in Gilmer County, WV. Any word on whether WVU is going to attempt to pull the rug from under Marco's feet?

https://gstatepioneers.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster

Women's basketball needs a gimmick.... What size "Hillbilly Ball" t-shirt is she?

Who in their right minds would want to live in that sh!thole?
The other variable? Her hubby is the men’s 🏀
Coach at GS…….
Maybe they will fire Huggy & offer Mr. Stephens the j o b…….

There's probably some locals that could play, but if you check out Glenville's roster, you can see that their coach actually recruits outside of the '304' and Baltic nations.
Yeah, I know. And what a waste of taxpayer money (all public D2 scholarships are 99% tuition waivers from the state, I bet GSC's booster club doesn't have 15 members). And, apparently, they pay $200K/year for this? At a college that wouldn't be accredited if it were not a state institution (there are majors it offers that it really does not have the classes to cover, requiting kids to first get a AA and ask for a waiver or to take them at Fairmont or online from, umm, Marshall) and run by a certain politician's cousin. A college of 1500 students, a third of them online? Playing in a 3K seat gym?

So instead of just giving some future girls phys ed teachers of central WV's high schools a boost, they are going to Florida, France, and all over the place. What a waste of money. Our money.
Who in their right minds would want to live in that sh!thole?
All deserved hate to Morganhole, but have you ever been to Glenville?

So instead of just giving some future girls phys ed teachers of central WV's high schools a boost, they are going to Florida, France, and all over the place. What a waste of money. Our money.
I mean that pretty much sums up college athletics as a whole. It's allegedly about getting these kids an education, but billions exchange hands for the most wins and notoriety. Criminal acts and questionable histories are ignored for wins. With both players and coaches.

I've been debating this with several people who are still in fantasy land, but anyone that still thinks this is about academics they are lying to themselves or completely falling for the grift.

Last edited:
Reactions: ru4_mu2
Glenville's large donor (from Texas I believe) could probably intervene and give her and future husband even more money if they truly wanted to keep both coaches.

But, in the end, SamC pretty much nailed the entire situation with a few select words, that it's girl's basketball, a sport that few watch, as well as a sport even fewer care much about.

The focus should have been on hiring a men's basketball coach. I'm not understanding why there's a huge effort on the women's side, but there remains to be only a token effort when it comes to men's basketball, a sport that people watch, as well as a sport that people actually care about.

Reactions: The Real SamC
I would think the rumors, and the leaking there of, had an adverse effect on the team last night.
Sadly. I am sure these girls wanted another title as bad as anyone, but now they have a thought in their mind that wasn't there before. Like it or not their focus is split. Even if it's only 10% it's still unnecessary one. All so Jake could be the first one to break a story.

Glenville's large donor (from Texas I believe) could probably intervene and give her and future husband even more money if they truly wanted to keep both coaches.

But, in the end, SamC pretty much nailed the entire situation with a few select words, that it's girl's basketball, a sport that few watch, as well as a sport even fewer care much about.

The focus should have been on hiring a men's basketball coach. I'm not understanding why there's a huge effort on the women's side, but there remains to be only a token effort when it comes to men's basketball, a sport that people watch, as well as a sport that people actually care about.
It's a valid point, but I don't think we really put in a huge effort. We just happened to have a pretty good coach at a lower level school a little up the road from us and we offered her peanuts as compared to what the MBB or Football gets. If it works it works.

I'm going to back off of "token effort" for men's basketball. It's not. Sorry @The Real SamC. It's not a token effort. It's a grift. Dan has positioned his people over the last several years to ensure that he never loses his job. His family has pull and Cline's family and connections has money. Meanwhile the Dannites eat it up and then come on here and defend it because we've never really been good so why expect or demand we be something we're not. Those same people will turn around and say they're not accepting mediocrity either, but they are. They're perfectly happy with a guy coaching that's closer to the nursing home than he is being at the peak of his profession.

The issue is too many have fallen for the grift because they consider Dan to be a part of their family which in and over itself is disturbing. He's their friend even though they've never shared a meal or even a true conversation with him. So many people look at these coaches like they're Jesus. Just go to youtube and search "the running of the gumps" and watch these overweight middle aged men sprinting from one goal post to the other with arms full of memorabilia that cost a months wages just to be able to be in the presence of Nick Saban and maybe he tells them how much he appreciates them even though he doesn't have any clue who they are or really even cares. However that will be the best moments in their entire lives.

However we'll take hundreds of thousands of dollars of taxpayer money and donor money from poor saps struggling to stay afloat just so some dude they've never met can rake it in being a coach while really never accomplishing anything. If Dan were a stock all of his investors would be broke because his ROI is horrible.

Ike Morris. Born in Oklahoma and raised in Illinois.
Women's basketball isn't for everyone. I enjoy watching it. I enjoyed taking my Girls to the games.
We have gotten out of it what we've put into it. It's like every other sport at MU, if they win, people come.
Men's job isn't open for at least 3 more years and in case you missed it, our women's coach left so we have to make a hire.

Ike Morris. Born in Oklahoma and raised in Illinois.
Women's basketball isn't for everyone. I enjoy watching it. I enjoyed taking my Girls to the games.
We have gotten out of it what we've put into it. It's like every other sport at MU, if they win, people come.
Men's job isn't open for at least 3 more years and in case you missed it, our women's coach left so we have to make a hire.
I watch a few of the college girls games, when Michigan is playing a rival or competing in the big dance. Point stands though, a majority of people don't partake in it, but like yourself, if you have girls that compete, then that changes the slate for you.

If by chance, this Glenville coach accepts the job, then I too will attend, and will sit on the front row right behind the coach.

With the transfer portal, I would anticipate multiple Pioneer players to transfer into Marshall, assuming any good ones have eligibility left. Likely they do, since it seems like college athletes now have 13 years of eligibility.

Yeah, I know. And what a waste of taxpayer money (all public D2 scholarships are 99% tuition waivers from the state, I bet GSC's booster club doesn't have 15 members). And, apparently, they pay $200K/year for this? At a college that wouldn't be accredited if it were not a state institution (there are majors it offers that it really does not have the classes to cover, requiting kids to first get a AA and ask for a waiver or to take them at Fairmont or online from, umm, Marshall) and run by a certain politician's cousin. A college of 1500 students, a third of them online? Playing in a 3K seat gym?

All deserved hate to Morganhole, but have you ever been to Glenville?
I have not

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT