ADVERTISEMENT

Spears snags Stephens to lead Lady Herd

I dunno Sam - she subs 5 at a time, full court presses the entire 40, doesn’t get theatrical on the side lines but is in touch with her players in game in a way our men’s coach apparently cannot pull off. As Meech stated earlier, easy on the eyes as well! Hope it happens…..
Did you watch those girls get up and down the court last night. No wonder she subs 5 at a time. If GSU had some height they would have won that game.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Yeah, I know. And what a waste of taxpayer money (all public D2 scholarships are 99% tuition waivers from the state, I bet GSC's booster club doesn't have 15 members). And, apparently, they pay $200K/year for this? At a college that wouldn't be accredited if it were not a state institution (there are majors it offers that it really does not have the classes to cover, requiting kids to first get a AA and ask for a waiver or to take them at Fairmont or online from, umm, Marshall) and run by a certain politician's cousin. A college of 1500 students, a third of them online? Playing in a 3K seat gym?

So instead of just giving some future girls phys ed teachers of central WV's high schools a boost, they are going to Florida, France, and all over the place. What a waste of money. Our money.

All deserved hate to Morganhole, but have you ever been to Glenville?
I believe all public scholarships are waivers, or discounts, to be more specific.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Did you watch those girls get up and down the court last night. No wonder she subs 5 at a time. If GSU had some height they would have won that game.
Agreed muthed.
Listen,
We’ve been moaning for decades about hiring a lower level coach who has achieved on a high level - well now, even though it’s not the men’s program, it will be interesting to see how quickly her talent will upgrade our wbb, and if she can move the needle on attendance.
I’ll bet her starting salary will be closer to 300k….

I believe all public scholarships are waivers, or discounts, to be more specific.
Not exactly. In WV, the legislature gives each college so many "tuition waivers" based on a complicated formula (as with most things WVU and WV State get way more than they really deserve). Each college can use these for whatever. "Affirmative action", children of professors, "diversity", work-study programs, graduate assistants, merit scholarships, lots more things. And athletics.

Look at the name. Its the "Big Green Scholarship Foundation". Key word is scholarship. The main function of the Big Green is to fund scholarships for athletes. However, MU still uses some of its allotted tuition waivers for athletic scholarships, because the Big Green has always fallen short of being able to fund 100% of the school's athletic scholarships. WVU, BTW, does not use any tuition waivers for athletics, but does receive direct state funding for certain athletic programs that no other school does, so it comes out to the same.

But at the state's small colleges? It has to be 99% tuition waivers. How many people in the entire world actually give one flying f*** about sports at Glenville, or Concord, or Fairmont, or wherever? Enough to dig into their pocket and give money? I think I know all 17 of Bluefield State's fans.

The major benefactor to GSU is Ike Morris. He owns Waco Oil. Gazzillionaire. . . Has lived in Glenville for 60 years. Wife, kids, grandkids are alums. Glenville has one of the nicest small college basketball facilities in the Country called the Waco Center. Bigger and nicer than WV State, UC, etc. probably nicer than some low level D1 schools. Football stadium is named Morris Stadium. Baseball/softball complex is the Sue Morris complex. See where this is going . . . He gives so much money to them, there’s legislative concern about what GSU will do when he’s gone. He is also a BIG WVU contributor. Real big.
Kim Stephens makes about $200,000 plus. GSU can’t afford all of that so Ike pads the salary. I have been told Ike has said he will do whatever it takes to keep her there.
Speculation is that when the MU job came open the MU AD jumped on her. Talks might have went well but nothing was to be finalized until her season was over. In the meantime, WVU unexpectedly opened up. Also, the leak on the Marshall end the day before GSU’s final 4 game upset Stephens. Add to the scenario that the previous WVU coach’s contract was 5 years/$3 million allows for all kinds of options and intrigue. Marshall can’t pay that for Women’s basketball.
Besides all of that, how do we know that MU, WVU, and GSU are the only schools in the discussion with her? Her name is not only known in WV . . .
Just some points to ponder . . .

So we don't get her. It's more of the same for women's bball - a title 9 requirement. No less, no more. If we get her, great, if not, get a D2 coach, they get a little raise by coming here and the program exists

Reactions: 19MU88
Not exactly. In WV, the legislature gives each college so many "tuition waivers" based on a complicated formula (as with most things WVU and WV State get way more than they really deserve). Each college can use these for whatever. "Affirmative action", children of professors, "diversity", work-study programs, graduate assistants, merit scholarships, lots more things. And athletics.

Look at the name. Its the "Big Green Scholarship Foundation". Key word is scholarship. The main function of the Big Green is to fund scholarships for athletes. However, MU still uses some of its allotted tuition waivers for athletic scholarships, because the Big Green has always fallen short of being able to fund 100% of the school's athletic scholarships. WVU, BTW, does not use any tuition waivers for athletics, but does receive direct state funding for certain athletic programs that no other school does, so it comes out to the same.

But at the state's small colleges? It has to be 99% tuition waivers. How many people in the entire world actually give one flying f*** about sports at Glenville, or Concord, or Fairmont, or wherever? Enough to dig into their pocket and give money? I think I know all 17 of Bluefield State's fans.
Come on Sam. Many of the small colleges within our state have graduated students who have become successful. For many the small colleges are close to home and more affordable as most students live at home and commute. You are treating the students who attend the states smaller colleges unfairly in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT