ADVERTISEMENT

Starkey Weighs In

It would have been great if Cole would have been really good, but the fact of the matter is that even if Chad believes that Doege isn't a good fit for Cole and it might be true. Cole is not good enough to warrant Huff looking for a OCs that fit Cole.

If Cole was a multi year starter and he was your guy then yea you try to bring in someone who fits with him, but that is not Cole. Huff saw last season and the year prior and decided to just go in a different direction.
So, which of our qbs does our OC "fit with?"

I can share this info from a personal friend who is related to the Penningtons. Apparently there was a serious disagreement between Chad and Huff sometime recently. It was not shared what the disagreement was, but it is something to do with the OC hire and it not being considered to Cole’s skill set. Chad believes Cole’s is very capable but the new scheme is not a good fit. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him transfer out and it’s probably the reason Luke went elsewhere.

Even though it involves his son, this seems WAY out of bounds for Chad. No parent, no matter their history with the school, should be addressing a coach directly about any coaching hires.

I hope this is untrue because it just creates a bad environment all the way around.

Even though it involves his son, this seems WAY out of bounds for Chad. No parent, no matter their history with the school, should be addressing a coach directly about any coaching hires.

I hope this is untrue because it just creates a bad environment all the way around.
Unless he was consulted. We have heard of both Huff and Doc getting Chad's opinions on potential staff hires. That would be a lot different than Chad just seeking Huff out to voice his displeasure.

Unless he was consulted. We have heard of both Huff and Doc getting Chad's opinions on potential staff hires. That would be a lot different than Chad just seeking Huff out to voice his displeasure.

The only situation off the top of my head where Chad came into play was Mike Furrey, and I'm not even sure Chad was "consulted" on that.

Either way, the current situation is different considering his son is on the roster.

I just think it's a bad idea for any coach to allow a player's parent to influence decisions being made.

The only situation off the top of my head where Chad came into play was Mike Furrey, and I'm not even sure Chad was "consulted" on that.

Chris Rippon says "hey" while he has his DBs playing 20 yards off the ball.

I find it very hard to believe Chad would try to influence a coach like that. I am sure he wouldn't want a parent doing it to him. I am thinking miscommunication between what the booster thought they heard, and what they told their friends they heard.

Chad referred Rippon?

Maybe I am misremembering, but recall in one of the interviews with Doc about his original staff, he initially wanted to bring in Chuck Heater for the DC spot, but things didn't work out, and Chad mentioned to him at looking at Rippon.

That would have been back in 2010.

Maybe I am misremembering, but recall in one of the interviews with Doc about his original staff, he initially wanted to bring in Chuck Heater for the DC spot, but things didn't work out, and Chad mentioned to him at looking at Rippon.

That would have been back in 2010.
No Steve Dunlap recommended Rip. Per Chris Rippon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT