ADVERTISEMENT

State of the program

cottrell75

Platinum Buffalo
Jan 22, 2016
What’s really going on behind the scenes? More and more players keep making public statements and don’t seem very happy.

What’s really going on behind the scenes? More and more players keep making public statements and don’t seem very happy.

It's called #cancelculture. If you're not happy with how things are going for you, all you have to do is whine and cry around for social media warriors to virtue signal in your defense.

Last edited:
It's called #cancelculture. If you're not happy with how things are going for you, all you have to do is whine and cry around for social media warriors to virtue signal in your defense.
What wouldn’t be going well for Hodge? Is he getting beat out?

What wouldn’t be going well for Hodge? Is he getting beat out?
He's been really inconsistent throughout his career so far. He'll be a total beast one week, look like an obvious NFL talent, and then completely disappear the next. I read that tweet as somebody having a bad day at "work," maybe getting chewed out by his "boss," and venting on the internet.

We go through an awful lot of stuff like this... Especially in the last few years... Players unhappy, passive-aggressive social media comments, starters being "no longer with the program."

Seems like a lot of hand wringing and angst with football.

People like to come to the defense of the program and say “this is just a player that’s having a bad day” and dismiss it as nothing. I don’t know what’s going on - so they maybe they are right, but we seem to have a lot more players having a lot more bad days recently. Where there’s smoke is there fire?

His tweets are tiresome. They have been for a long time. The staff offered him a GA position here, and they also made arrangements with VT’s staff for the same position there, yet he wants to cry around on Twitter hoping that people will feel sorry for him. Don’t get me wrong, what happened sucks for him, but what you’re seeing is a good representation of why he never became the player he had the potential to be.

His tweets are tiresome. They have been for a long time. The staff offered him a GA position here, and they also made arrangements with VT’s staff for the same position there, yet he wants to cry around on Twitter hoping that people will feel sorry for him. Don’t get me wrong, what happened sucks for him, but what you’re seeing is a good representation of why he never became the player he had the potential to be.

This makes absolutely no fvcking sense.
The Marshall staff thought so highly of him that they were willing to give him a GA position, and worse, risk their reputations and their words by recommending VT hire him as a GA . . . yet he acts likes this for no legitimate reason?

That would mean the Marshall staff, even after a number of years with him, is an awful judge of character.

This makes absolutely no fvcking sense.
The Marshall staff thought so highly of him that they were willing to give him a GA position, and worse, risk their reputations and their words by recommending VT hire him as a GA . . . yet he acts likes this for no legitimate reason?

That would mean the Marshall staff, even after a number of years with him, is an awful judge of character.

On the field, he’s fine.

Away from the field, he’s a kid.

Unfortunately, that side seems to overwhelm the “on the field” part of his life by tenfold.

Like a lot of kids, their lives tend to fall apart without football.

He seems to really be struggling with his injury and the likelihood of never playing again. That’s why the staff chose to try to include him as a GA.

Last edited:
On the field, he’s fine.

Unfortunately, that side seems to overwhelm the “on the field” part of his life by tenfold.

He seems to really be struggling with his injury and the likelihood of never playing again. That’s why the staff chose to try to include him as a GA.

Has there been a time that something didn't go well that was doc's fault? How about an example or 2....

People like to come to the defense of the program and say “this is just a player that’s having a bad day” and dismiss it as nothing. I don’t know what’s going on - so they maybe they are right, but we seem to have a lot more players having a lot more bad days recently. Where there’s smoke is there fire?
In this town, where there's smoke, it may be weed.

Then say something. Yulee has every right to speak now and won’t suffer those same consequences.
This is what I was wondering. Your career is done, you've cut ties with the program - tell it all, brother.

Of course vague Tweets have a 100% conviction rate, and actual discussions of the particulars of a circumstance can get real messy.

Reactions: HerdFan73
Of course vague Tweets have a 100% conviction rate, and actual discussions of the particulars of a circumstance can get real messy.

This would require the truth being told. I'm sure there are a lot guys that don't want that to happen.

By tweeting things out, like you said, he can play the role of victim without ever hearing the other side of the story.

Really? I mean i'm sure we are the only program in America with a few disgruntled players. Put 85-100, 18-23 year olds trying to be in the top 22 and you are going to get this. Most of these kids were the BMOC back home and now they are being pushed daily by other kids as good or better for playing time. Sitting on the sideline sucks but if they aren't happy they can transfer down and play D2. No one wants to win worse than the coaching staff so i am convinced they will do all they can to get the best players on the field.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
On the field, he’s fine.

Sounds like Doc and staff couldn't make a demand he made regarding his injury, this after how highly they (rightfully so) thought of him, and now he sees it as betrayal.

Didn't MU have someone a few years ago who had a risky health condition, was it a heart problem? It was too risky for MU to keep him and they had to cut ties so he entered the transfer portal?
It was one of those times where MU's medical staff rejected his status to play, and he found a doctor at another school who cleared him so he went there.

All of this is what happens when you don’t win. Everybody has a grievance because when you’re not meeting expectations, for many students, college athletics are hardly worth the BS that comes along with it. And these days it takes 10 seconds to vent that grievance to the whole world.

Winning solves a lot of problems.

Perhaps both of them will end up at a "get well" program like Bethune Cookman. Allegedly it worked "wonders" for some on here.

I know that your wife thinks about me during sex, but it appears that you potentially do, also.

Good post, Ohio Herd, and Josh has some solid thoughts also. The coaches are the adults in the room and, for the most part, have to be respected for their treatment of the young men in their care. I have to believe that it is harder to satisfy kids who are highly rated that come to MU than the two star guys. I get the impression, based on practice reports, that we have one of the better teams in recent years. Let's all give them a chance to show us they can be winners.

Reactions: ohio herd
I totally believe more athletes today are wimps and crybabies that can't handle criticism or tough coaching. But it is hard to trust a head coach that played a known heroin dealer, and these cryptic tweets seem to point to something worse than the typical "coach is an asshole" venting.

I say spill the beans.

But it is hard to trust a head coach...

All those years of near-absurd opaqueness have lead to what I think is a universal feeling among most Marshall fans that we have absolutely no idea what is really going on inside those walls, and that anything could be possible.

We had a player die suddenly a few years after leaving the program, and I always felt like everybody, from the family to the press to the program, just wanted people to move on and not ask what happened. I got the feeling that we as Marshall fans were fine with that too, not wanting to think too hard about what exactly is going into the sauce.

its time for a change imo, just need some new energy in the program. Some coaches after 10years, with modest success, just dont get their point across any longer. Doc was supposed to be this super star recruiter, and I have yet to see that come to fruition. Our conf is very winnable most years and we just aren't in the hunt enough. Hopefully this will be his last year, its time to move on.

its time for a change imo, just need some new energy in the program. Some coaches after 10years, with modest success, just dont get their point across any longer. Doc was supposed to be this super star recruiter, and I have yet to see that come to fruition. Our conf is very winnable most years and we just aren't in the hunt enough. Hopefully this will be his last year, its time to move on.
and the conference has been down at times. Things have changed since Doc has come on board. A hand full of schools have moved up to D1 football in our recruiting areas. One or two schools in Ga, Appy State and Charlotte in NC, and now ODU with Liberty and JMU knocking on the door. Recruiting has changed. coaches need to be able to spot hidden gems and develop the talent. Talent development for depth is the key. You see P5 schools recruiting walkons like the are 4 star recruits for depth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT