ADVERTISEMENT

Summer projections

Treadmill MUsic

Gold Buffalo
Gold Member
Feb 29, 2012
Its been a bit boring on here so let's take a look at some depth chart projections. Who's up?

For the upcoming season. Any guesses on how the depth chart will pan out. Normally around this time of the year, its pretty dead with content, so I was trying to entertain a depth chart challenge.

From what I gather the OL depth chart heading into Fall practice looks like this:

Tackles: CVH and Binot
Backups: Addison and Jean-Felix

Guards: Selby and Dowrey
Backup: Collins

Center: Devers
Backup: Brown

I think CVH, Selby, Dowrey and Devers will all start assuming they're healthy. Binot and Jean-Felix at LT is still a battle.

Also, watch out for Alex Locklear.

I really like the recent move of Todd Goebbel from TE Coach to WR Coach with the departure of Coach Furrey. The TE's were one of our strongest units all around last season and are a vital tool to our offense. And honestly, the WRs were underwhelming last year. I am hoping Goebbel can maximize their talents this year. McManus is a physical freak of nature and should be able to position his large frame to box out any defensive back he faces. Then you have the trees of Elzy, Clarke, and Hunt. Tons of height. If they play to their size, Chase shouldnt overthrow any of them.

Carn another tall WR that some are touting.

Yep. Sat out last year as a NQ
RPGRWiB.jpg

What is our depth looking like at RB? My guess is:

1. Foster
2. Pittman
3. Keion Davis

Also, I am anxious to see what Marshall does with Cody Mitchell. Tough physical guy. Can lightning strike twice landing another guy similar to Devon Johnson?

What is our depth looking like at RB? My guess is:

1. Foster
2. Pittman
3. Keion Davis

Also, I am anxious to see what Marshall does with Cody Mitchell. Tough physical guy. Can lightning strike twice landing another guy similar to Devon Johnson?

Delvin Weems will play, too.

Don't forget about Anthony Anderson. He committed to MU a few weeks ago from Iowa Western JUCO.

Here's his profile: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/5054

and HUDL tape:

We also signed Tyler King and JaQua Daniels as a part of the 2016 class. If they qualify, look out. Both are very talented.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Maybe a NQ. King might surprise a lot of people. 190 pounds outa HS and some zip to go along with it. I like the size on K Davis. Figure we are OK at RB if the line can block.

Really excited to see Ryan Bee's development from last season. He was so raw last year and is one of the most physically gifted players we have had in relation to his size. He has been doing extremely well in the off season training competitions. He has won several times for the "Golden Cleats" (fast feet) award for the heavier guys. Hopefully he can become more explosive off the ball and better with his hands to shed blocks

Reactions: WV_Celt
Bee can be a nightmare rusher for MU.

I've just about given up hope on McManus. He seems to be more worried about the gym than working on his craft.

Get the ball in Foster's hands and let things happen.

and Clark, Elzy and Carn maybe push McManus a little but he made plays his first yr so anything is possible.

McManus will be forced to step up this year because of his game experience. I mean, he has allot of game reps under him and I believe this year he will see the benefits will pay off from playing in many games. Like Reeves said in an interview, "the games slows down the more game reps you have." He will be in full beast mode this year. Don't rock yourself to sleep on this young man because he has an opportunity to be one of the Herd greats.

McManus should have been moved to the slot last year where we can feed him and Yurachek around the hashes ala Gator & Shuler. He's miscast as a X or Z. That's just my opinion though. I've never played or coached the position...

Reactions: jrod64 and 31Herd55
McManus should have been moved to the slot last year where we can feed him and Yurachek around the hashes ala Gator & Shuler. He's miscast as a X or Z. That's just my opinion though. I've never played or coached the position...

I am hoping we can move him back inside this year. Hopefully Justin Hunt steps up this year on the outside and we can also get some production out of Elzy/Clark/Carn on the other side. Having McManus, Yurachek, and Byrd on the inside is a mismatch on almost any linebacker. Also, I really liked what I saw out of Nick Matthews last year. For him to play as a true freshman he had to be showing something to Doc and the coaching staff.

Thompson, Bee, Keller and Ty Tyler maybe as good as CUSA has to offer.

It also seems were are getting a little more depth on the inside with some bigger boys. That has hurt us in the past having to move guys from DE to the inside. They may come off the ball quicker, but they have been undersized for the DT position and has allowed us to be run on. Looking for Jason Smith, Tomell One, and Nyquan Harris to have good years plugging the middle

Reactions: 31Herd55
It also seems were are getting a little more depth on the inside with some bigger boys. That has hurt us in the past having to move guys from DE to the inside. They may come off the ball quicker, but they have been undersized for the DT position and has allowed us to be run on. Looking for Jason Smith, Tomell One, and Nyquan Harris to have good years plugging the middle

I expect Nyquan Smith to make a huge jump this year. If he's not the best DT in the conference I'll be surprised.

I agree with you, Herdman...but the feedback I always get from a Mod is that our defensive philosophy is to go with the undersized interior linemen and live with the downside of teams being able to run the middle on us o_O

I expect Nyquan Smith to make a huge jump this year. If he's not the best DT in the conference I'll be surprised.
Chris, We have a Nyquan Harris and a Jason Smith @ DL...Have you blended the 2 names in your post?

Here's hoping "Big Money" starts to produce "Big Dividends" :D

Reactions: HerdMan13
Delvin Weems will play, too.

Don't forget about Anthony Anderson. He committed to MU a few weeks ago from Iowa Western JUCO.

Here's his profile: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/5054

and HUDL tape:

We also signed Tyler King and JaQua Daniels as a part of the 2016 class. If they qualify, look out. Both are very talented.

I can't believe we offered the guy in the video. He is not good at all. Only positive I saw was that he plays in a similar offense as us.

Runs straight up and down, how poor cutting ability, and poor speed.

He has decent strength for this level.

Not sure what our coaches were thinking on this one, but man I hope I am wrong.

I can't believe we offered the guy in the video. He is not good at all. Only positive I saw was that he plays in a similar offense as us.

Runs straight up and down, how poor cutting ability, and poor speed.

He has decent strength for this level.

Not sure what our coaches were thinking on this one, but man I hope I am wrong.

Not blown away by his video, either. But like you said, he seems fairly strong and he's a big body so perhaps he fills a short yardage role for us. Don't see him being an every down back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT