ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Belt update

I would say James Madison will replace Appy as one of our Non-Conference games.
Unlikely... We are already playing Norfolk State. JMU would give us 2 FCS games meaning one of those wouldn't count towards bowl eligibility.

Apply would become a Sun Belt game and we would try to schedule a CUSA team that would have been on our schedule next year as a nonconference game.

Unlikely... We are already playing Norfolk State. JMU would give us 2 FCS games meaning one of those wouldn't count towards bowl eligibility.

Apply would become a Sun Belt game and we would try to schedule a CUSA team that would have been on our schedule next year as a nonconference game.
I’ll be shocked if JMU doesn’t move up early too.

They could but there is a mandatory transition period. Maybe that could be accelerated. I read somewhere that the teams moving to CUSA were going to petition the NCAA.

I believe some CUSA teams have some OOC openings next season. Maybe we could get one of them in Huntington to have another FBS team.l on the schedule and not another FCS team.

Lex is right, it's far easier to move conferences than it is to go from FCS to FBS... I doubt JMU will be able to jump for 2022. Much more likely they join in 2023.

The easiest route is just to pick up one of FIU, MTSU, WKU as a nonconference game next year and keep App as an early conference game.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
@The Real SamC will become triggered in 3..2..1....
Why?

Before this thread had you ever heard of either Shane Mettlen or DNR Sports?

I hadn't.

So, some guy, is "hearing" this or that. A quick look at the Google machine says he is a "freelance journalist" (AKA unemployed) who lives somewhere near James Madison and sometime appears on this "DNR" which is "Daily News Record" which is Harrisonburg's local paper, circulation about 20K.

Does this mean this isn't happening? No idea.

Just get my news from people that aren't "freelance journalists" who "hear" things.

They could but there is a mandatory transition period. Maybe that could be accelerated. I read somewhere that the teams moving to CUSA were going to petition the NCAA.

I believe some CUSA teams have some OOC openings next season. Maybe we could get one of them in Huntington to have another FBS team.l on the schedule and not another FCS team.
You’re right on both regards with JMU. They will be FBS transitional next season so no worries on the bowl side. They aren’t eligible for the FCS playoffs, for instance.

The NCAA may accelerate this for them to go ahead and jump, although if they do, it will be a conference game so it would still require another opponent most likely.

In other words, you’re exactly right on the rule, but the standard could be changed due to the instability or realignment.

Lex is right, it's far easier to move conferences than it is to go from FCS to FBS... I doubt JMU will be able to jump for 2022. Much more likely they join in 2023.

The easiest route is just to pick up one of FIU, MTSU, WKU as a nonconference game next year and keep App as an early conference game.

WKU should be weakened next year and are close. FIU is an easy win but the distance is like traveling to a Texas school. Whomever we pick up should be closer than that IMO. But I love how you think.

Last edited:
Why is everyone acting like this is a done deal? I wouldn't spend too much time daydreaming about our schedule until we hear something official. Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to happen.

Why?

Before this thread had you ever heard of either Shane Mettlen or DNR Sports?

I hadn't.

So, some guy, is "hearing" this or that. A quick look at the Google machine says he is a "freelance journalist" (AKA unemployed) who lives somewhere near James Madison and sometime appears on this "DNR" which is "Daily News Record" which is Harrisonburg's local paper, circulation about 20K.

Does this mean this isn't happening? No idea.

Just get my news from people that aren't "freelance journalists" who "hear" things.
Sam,

ESPN also posted an article saying the move was imminent for next season all sports

Reactions: The Real SamC
Another Sam football prediction goes to shit?? Who could have known that was going to happen??

The most accurate think Sammy has said about football in months.
In other words, you tried to talk smack. Links were provided, proving you DEAD WRONG, so you edit a response (the one that PROVED you WRONG) to make a childish joke.

You should quit. You look stupid. Especially since you have stated that you expect nothing from the football team for a half decade to come.

In other words, you tried to talk smack. Links were provided, proving you DEAD WRONG, so you edit a response (the one that PROVED you WRONG) to make a childish joke.

You should quit. You look stupid. Especially since you have stated that you expect nothing from the football team for a half decade to come.
Sammy is mad. Watching you whine and moan...and usually get "football" wrong is fun. Move on Sammy. NM St is waiting on their bowl predictions too.

Sorry, not mad at all. Just enjoying being right, almost all the time.

You post idiocy, get called on it, and then just double down on the idiocy. You look stupid.

Grow up, and, if you want to discuss THIS YEAR’s team, or some future year’s team, rejoin.

One of the two basketball only teams in the SBC has found a home. In the increasingly mis-named Ohio Valley Conference. Arkansas-Little Rock will start play in the OVC next year.

The other, Texas-Arlington is apparently trying to decide if it wants to restart football. It dropped football in the mid 80s but still has a 12.5K seat stadium in good shape. Its future conference membership will depend on that decision.

One of the two basketball only teams in the SBC has found a home. In the increasingly mis-named Ohio Valley Conference. Arkansas-Little Rock will start play in the OVC next year.

The other, Texas-Arlington is apparently trying to decide if it wants to restart football. It dropped football in the mid 80s but still has a 12.5K seat stadium in good shape. Its future conference membership will depend on that decision.
I feel like these moves happening are making it more definite that Marshall is in the SBC asap

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT