ADVERTISEMENT

The MAC in Bowl Games (for the NIU guy)

andy4theherd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2007
2014: 1-3 (1 game remaining) win over South Alabama
2013: 0-5
2012: 2-5 (wins over Western KY, Louisiana Monroe)
2011: 4-1 (Wyoming, Utah State, Air Force, Arkansas State)
2010: 2-2 (Fresno, Middle Ten State)
2009: 1-4 (Troy)
2008: 0-5
2007: 0-3
2006: 1-3 (Middle Ten State)
2005: 1-1 (UTEP)
2004: 2-3 (Memphis, Troy)
2003: 2-0 (Louisville, Northwestern)
2002: 1-1 (Louisville)
2001: 2-0 (ECU, Cincy)
2000: 1-0 (Cincy)
1999: 1-0 (BYU)
1998: 1-0 (Louisville)
1997: 0-1

the MAC was 10-5 in bowl games while Marshall was there. the MAC is 12-22 since. the opponents the MAC faced from 1997 to 2004 were significantly better than 2005 through today. you claim the MAC is "down" this year. when in reality the MAC is playing out exactly like it has in 9 out of the last 10 seasons. if you want, we can further break down the NFL talent from the 1997-2004 MAC vs 2005-2013. i have already looked, and it is more one sided than the above...

FACT: the MAC was MUCH better from 1997 to 2004 than from 2005 to 2014......

Originally posted by Catfanatic1979v1:
Yup, MAC football sucks.
And you people wonder why MAC fans hated Marshall fans? Really? I had no opinion since NIU hardly played Marshall when you were in the MAC. But now I'm starting to see it.

Originally posted by NIU007:

Originally posted by Catfanatic1979v1:
Yup, MAC football sucks.
And you people wonder why MAC fans hated Marshall fans? Really? I had no opinion since NIU hardly played Marshall when you were in the MAC. But now I'm starting to see it.
So you come to an opposing teams message board after a loss, make excuses for your loss, dismiss our team talent (except for Cato), tell us we are taking a step back ... and you expected what?

This board was pretty respectful to NIU until you got here with all your excuses and basically taking shots at the entire Marshall team, other than Cato, and now you're crying victim? Classic!

What excuses? We lost, end of story. Just saying, in college football, a good QB makes a big difference.

dispute anything i posted... YOU stated the MAC was "down" this year to try and justify the ass beating we gave NIU. the MAC is no more "down" that it always is...

people hated Marshall when we were in the MAC because 8 times out of 10 the scoreboard looked similar to the Boca Bowl after we played their team...

The MAC was down this year, that's for sure. Not that it was that good last year. It doesn't excuse the beatdown.

Having 19 other all conference/all freshman team players to go wit a good QB makes an even bigger difference. Two teams shut down Marshall's offense this year and still lost (UAB and LaTech). Other teams limited our passing game and still lost because we ran all over them. Others tried limiting the running game and we passed on them. Point being, this was a good team and team is the key word. As good as Cato is, he was picked up by the running game or defense when he was off.

We were hated because we dominated the conference the vast majority of the time we were members.... plain and simple. If you want to say its because we take pride in our team and don't lay down when people take unnecessary shots at our success then that's fine...

Well, to be fair, I was one of the few that wasn't harping on Marshall's strength of schedule. When you guys played weaker teams, you blew them out, and when you played the better teams you still won, except for Western Kentucky and that was in OT IIRC. And the whole deal of having to play a P5 team for people to know how good you are is P5 propaganda by media or fans that can't think for themselves.

Especially considering Marshall has played at least one p5 every year since 97 and had Louisville scheduled this year until they backed out. Also have at least one for the next several years. When all was said and done I believe Sagarin had or schedule rated higher than Memphis, even with Ole Miss and UCLA on their schedule.

Originally posted by Herd4ever07:
When all was said and done I believe Sagarin had or schedule rated higher than Memphis, even with Ole Miss and UCLA on their schedule.
the SoS rankings will not be "final" until all bowl games are finished. as of Dec. 29th our schedule rank is #120. Memphis is #126.

NIU is at 124 (lol at Memphis and the AAC bullsh!t)

Ha, you guys should schedule Purdue. They're a P5 so you get way more credit for it than you realistically should based on their recent history. And you'll beat them 70-0.

I thought the NIU fans that attended the game were great. Next day they were a little peeved.

Great playing you guys and good luck on next years season. You're a quality program that needs to get out of the MAC.

You are correct Andy. I jumped the gun the rankings aren't final just yet. If imagine if Ole Miss beat TCU that would move Memphis up some. Same with if UCLA beat KSU. At any rate, the whole Marshall schedule bashing thing this year was very overhyped. When all is said and done we'll finish very close to other g5 champions.....other than Boise, in terms of SOS.

Thanks, good luck to you too. I'm sure our fans were pretty peeved. I was disappointed at how much we lost by, but wasn't surprised we lost, I hoped to see a good game at least. I don't know if NIU has any plans or possibilites for getting out of the MAC, but we'll see.

You are correct Andy. I jumped the gun the rankings aren't final just yet. If imagine if Ole Miss beat TCU that would move Memphis up some. Same with if UCLA beat KSU. At any rate, the whole Marshall schedule bashing thing this year was very overhyped. When all is said and done we'll finish very close to other g5 champions.....other than Boise, in terms of SOS.
the biggest kick to the nuts is ECU. all we heard the first half of the season was how great their "body of work" was and their schedule was head and shoulders above ours. the are currently #125.... five spots worse than ours...

We were also told results from last year don't matter when referencing our blowout over ECU, then later said Boise had an edge over us because of their past accomplishments.

We were also told results from last year don't matter when referencing our blowout over ECU, then later said Boise had an edge over us because of their past accomplishments.
exactly

past accomplishments is the ONLY way possible a 2 loss Boise team could be ranked ahead of an 11-0 (at the time) Herd team...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT