ADVERTISEMENT

The (Non) “Marching Thunder”

Great comment.

A big reason I prefer college football to the NFL is the atmosphere, and bands are a big part of that. When half of the stadium can't hear the band, we are not selling a good college football experience.
The Baltimore Ravens and Washington Redskins are the only two NFL teams with bands. The Ravens band is great and for perspective look up The Band That Wouldn’t Die on you tube or espn 360. When the colts split int the middle of the night, the band manager went to the dry cleaners the morning it happened and took all the unis and kept the band alive.

*you're

lol people complained about the music playing being too loud.
They'll complain the band is too loud.

The band plays a mix of different music.
It may not sound like anything to you because you're either tone deaf or only want to hear outdated rock music the current generation doesn't give a crap about.
Definitely not tone deaf lol... I’m pretty sure I just can not hear the band...
I know what a marching band should be and Marshall isn’t that..
and to address your current generation comment, well I better not might hurt your feelings.....

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
*you're

lol people complained about the music playing being too loud.
They'll complain the band is too loud.

The band plays a mix of different music.
It may not sound like anything to you because you're either tone deaf or only want to hear outdated rock music the current generation doesn't give a crap about.

Calm down, partner.

First, NOBODY has ever complained about the band being too loud. MANY have complained about not hearing the band. Second, I appreciate the Marshall band and I understand the restrictions that are placed on when and what they can play. That said, their music selection barely changes from year to year and in my time watching them, they have never really developed an identity. You see them sitting in the stands and they are completely unorganized. They are barely involved in the game at all. The only time they are paying attention (they is a broad term...not all) is when they are playing. The band should stay uniform...not at attention but in order. If one is sitting, they should all sit. If one is standing they should all stand. The color guard and twirlers need to have coordinated dance routines IN THE STANDS not just during halftime. If you want to see how it's done, look up any SEC band. Look up any B1G band.

Oh, and the decision to move them out of the endzone was an awful one. Put them back in the endzone and mic them like so many other schools do.

Calm down, partner.

First, NOBODY has ever complained about the band being too loud. MANY have complained about not hearing the band. Second, I appreciate the Marshall band and I understand the restrictions that are placed on when and what they can play. That said, their music selection barely changes from year to year and in my time watching them, they have never really developed an identity. You see them sitting in the stands and they are completely unorganized. They are barely involved in the game at all. The only time they are paying attention (they is a broad term...not all) is when they are playing. The band should stay uniform...not at attention but in order. If one is sitting, they should all sit. If one is standing they should all stand. The color guard and twirlers need to have coordinated dance routines IN THE STANDS not just during halftime. If you want to see how it's done, look up any SEC band. Look up any B1G band.

Oh, and the decision to move them out of the endzone was an awful one. Put them back in the endzone and mic them like so many other schools do.
I do know that the pep band for basketball is great. They are totally involved in the game. Playing when they are supposed to and cheering all other times. The fact that Danny has shown them so much love, along with Dr. Gilbert, probably helps.

Calm down, partner.

My goodness...you've got it all figured out.

https://herdzone.com/staff.aspx

I do know that the pep band for basketball is great. They are totally involved in the game. Playing when they are supposed to and cheering all other times. The fact that Danny has shown them so much love, along with Dr. Gilbert, probably helps.

I imagine having waited for so long to mention DD in a football related thread was like a drug detox...but you couldn't make it and got your fix.
Feel better?

I imagine having waited for so long to mention DD in a football related thread was like a drug detox...but you couldn't make it and got your fix.
Feel better?

Hey man, you leave Herdmeister alone! He has the right to get his fix anytime, anywhere he chooses...…sometimes methadone is your only alternative.....
Signed,
Head Basketball Apologizer

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
I was reading the UC Board. They said the Bearcat Band would be coming to Huntington.

Reactions: 5150
Feel better?
Are you nuts? This is a band thread and I simply pointed out that since the present director has come here, the pep band is MUCH better and involved.

As for the marching band, being where they sit and where I sit I can only hear/see them when they are on the field. When they are on the field I have no problem with them at all.
I, for one, appreciate what they do. I am not a fan of what the Ohio band does unless they are a great band for the HBC schools. They do it remarkably well.
When I lived in Tallahassee, I loved watching the FAMU band when ever I got the chance.

Are you nuts? This is a band thread and I simply pointed out that since the present director has come here, the pep band is MUCH better and involved.

As for the marching band, being where they sit and where I sit I can only hear/see them when they are on the field. When they are on the field I have no problem with them at all.
I, for one, appreciate what they do. I am not a fan of what the Ohio band does unless they are a great band for the HBC schools. They do it remarkably well.
When I lived in Tallahassee, I loved watching the FAMU band when ever I got the chance.

Pep band is smaller, in an arena (which means its enclosed, this trapping more sound), and there is not as much of everything else going on. Oh and 7,000-8,000 vs 20,000+ can make a huge difference in terms of what is heard and crowd noise in general.
Just thought I should rationalize your fascination with the pep band and all.

Another thing...Ohio U actually emphasizes their band. Meaning they spend more money on them and utilize them more than many G5 schools. Its their own little culture to do so.

Last edited:
I certainly agree that the band is(should be) a big part of the in-game experience. They get us clapping and singing & yelling. If there is a problem with them being heard, certainly the AD should be able to get some mics on them so the entire stadium benefits from their effort, regardless of where they are seated. As to the lack of coordination between the PA announcer and the timing of We Are, that is entirely avoidable!! Most fans are not that in sync with what is happening beyond their brains conjuring up the next negative or sarcastic comment they can bellow that they are not concerned with such matters......

Pep band is smaller, in an arena (which means its enclosed, this trapping more sound), and there is not as much of everything else going on. Oh and 7,000-8,000 vs 20,000+ can make a huge difference in terms of what is heard and crowd noise in general.
Just thought I should rationalize your fascination with the pep band and all.
Being that I was once a music major, I have a fascination will ALL bands and all types of music.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Sorry GoHerdMarshallYes if you have read about the London trip you would know that the entire band IS NOT going to London - only a select few - those whose parents could finance their son/daughter going. Agree a great experience and feel bad for those who cannot afford the opportunity.

Sorry GoHerdMarshallYes if you have read about the London trip you would know that the entire band IS NOT going to London - only a select few - those whose parents could finance their son/daughter going. Agree a great experience and feel bad for those who cannot afford the opportunity.

And normally bands apply for these trips. It's not just like the organizers searched the world over and decided that Marshall's band was the best ever so they just had to have them.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Thanks!?! Not only are you super witty but you're also so helpful. Without you I would've never known what that green underlined text was in your other post.

Well for someone whonhas it all figured out, they may want to share tueir thoughts with the proper people.
Now, I understand talking to someone who actually gets things done can be a little scary, but take some deep breaths, pitch your amazing idea, and you'll be fine!
We're counting on you!!!

Well for someone whonhas it all figured out, they may want to share tueir thoughts with the proper people.
Now, I understand talking to someone who actually gets things done can be a little scary, but take some deep breaths, pitch your amazing idea, and you'll be fine!
We're counting on you!!!

Well, you keep trying. I admire that.

I hear Cincinnati is bringing the Bearcat Band. Should be another marching band from what I hear.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT