ADVERTISEMENT

The Running 2018 Recruiting Thread

Herd Fever

Platinum Buffalo
Sep 25, 2008
I figured I would start a thread as a running recruiting thread of anything I see or hear these next few weeks.

My points of emphasis will be uncommitted talent still available and listing potential futures as the class of 2018 academics become more clear. Below I am going to list the numbers per position of uncommitted players that are 3* or better. I will only focus on positions of need and how many do I think we should sign. How many I think Marshall should sign will be in Parenthesis.

QB - 15 Unsigned 3* or Better according to the rivals system (1)
We need to sign 1 QB. I would love for it to be a HS kid but with Malik Henry and Woody Barrett from the JUCO ranks still available and them both being 3 for 3 kids I wouldnt be shocked to see us go after them. Currently Marshall has no offers out there as I am not counting Kai Locksley as a recruit since he has burned us Twice already.

RB - 40 unsigned 3* or better according to the rivals system (2)
Currently we have Sheldon Evans sitting out of a Future and Brendon Knox redshirted last year. This is not a position of great need but should always be recruited. Currently Marshall has 5 offers out there with Jashaun Corbin the prize. He is likely to sign with Florida State but should be a name to look out there in the summer. I think we should sign 1 eligible kid and another kid who will be a future.

WR - 46 unsigned 3* better according to the rivals system(4)
Even with Tyre Brady coming back, numbers are very low here. We swung and missed on signing a JUCO WR during the early period. I believe since we didnt sign a JUCO, we should swing for the fences on 3* HS kids that was productive against Top competition. Currently 7 of those kids have offers from Marshall. One name to look out for is 4* Dominick Watt as a potential Future. Also there is a ton of prospects still available from Florida and Metro/Suburban Atlanta, 2 areas we recruit heavily. We currently have 1 future on campus and 2 very talented and explosive WR currently committed. I can see us signing 2 more.

TE - 11 unsigned 3* of better according to the rivals system(1)
I know some think this isnt a position of need since we have Cassidy signed but I think we should go after 1 more TE. 2 potential Futures at TE to look out for is 4* Tyneil Hopper and 3* Glenn Beal both have been offered by us as well as the rest of the SEC but both didnt sign and have grade questions.

OT - 23 unsigned 3* or better according to the rivals system(1-2)
Depth is needed here at OT. I think we should go after a JUCO but no JUCO will come here to sit behind 2 guys that started at freshman unless he doesnt care about competition. I do think we will make a run for 3* Will Canty as I think he is a future.

DE - 44 unsigned 3* or better according to the rivals system(2)
This is the 1 position that we should swing for the fences for within reason of course. Depth and playing time is available and we dont have anyone committed but we do have 1 player sitting out of a Future. Alot of talented players still out there for us.

DT - 27 unsigned 3* or better according to the rivals system(2)
Currently have Jamare Cross currently committed even though I am of the belief we shouldnt move him inside. His DE film as a wide 9 is amazing and that is where we should keep him. We also have Elijah Ratliff committed. We need to get bigger at this position and with Heater gone, its time to go after some beef on the Dline where we dont have to waste a year or 2 bulking up a player. Instead we should recruit players who are already 300+ and reshape their bodies. We should go after 2 more kids and swing for the fences within reason.

CB - 41 unsigned 3* or better according to the rivals system(2-3)
This position will probably be a focal point these next 5 weeks in recruitment. I can see us signing 1 JUCO and 2 HS kids with 1 of the HS kids being a highly rated future.

S - 28 unsigned 3* or better according to the rivals system(2-3)
Another position where I think we need some Instant JUCO depth as well as HS depth that can be developed for the future. Depth as safety is not where it should be when you have 3 former walk-ons leading the charge at the position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News