ADVERTISEMENT

The Schedule

Herdguy04

Green Buffalo
Aug 18, 2023
I saw that the entire SBC East division is bowl eligible.
Everyone else, except ECU is either 6-6 or better, with Albany being very good in FCS.

Given MU playing in top heavy conferences in the past, with this one actually being balanced I gotta ask...

Was this schedule more difficult than we thought?

I saw that the entire SBC East division is bowl eligible.
Everyone else, except ECU is either 6-6 or better, with Albany being very good in FCS.

Given MU playing in top heavy conferences in the past, with this one actually being balanced I gotta ask...

Was this schedule more difficult than we thought?
No just a lot of mediocre football teams that beat up on each other

Based on all the ratings out there the Sunbelt East was, by far, the best G5 group in the country this year.

If you look at the Massey composite rankings, the lowest east team is Ga So at 93. Overall, the SB had 12 teams in the top 95. The AAC had 5, MAC and CUSA had 4 each and the MWC had 7.

So to match the Sunbelt you would have to take the 7 best teams from the MWC plus the 5 best from the AAC.

Both points can be correct...

The SBC conference schedule is by far more difficult than CUSA.

The SBC has 1-3 good teams, 8-10 mediocre teams (including us), then 2-3 bad teams... CUSA always had about 1-3 good teams, 1-3 mediocre teams, and then a dumpster worth of garbage teams. MU knew looking at the schedule they had 3-4 wins every season in conference in CUSA. Those days are gone in the SBC.

That said, this year we drew Albany (FCS), the worst ECU team in 30 years, VT at the lowest point in their season (even now they're mediocre)... And NC State.

This year wasn't exactly murderers row in the non-conference.

Both points can be correct...

The SBC conference schedule is by far more difficult than CUSA.

The SBC has 1-3 good teams, 8-10 mediocre teams (including us), then 2-3 bad teams... CUSA always had about 1-3 good teams, 1-3 mediocre teams, and then a dumpster worth of garbage teams. MU knew looking at the schedule they had 3-4 wins every season in conference in CUSA. Those days are gone in the SBC.

That said, this year we drew Albany (FCS), the worst ECU team in 30 years, VT at the lowest point in their season (even now they're mediocre)... And NC State.

This year wasn't exactly murderers row in the non-conference.
True. The issue is, schedules are usually made so far in advance, you never know what a program will be like when the time comes to actually play the game. Va Tech being a good example. That said, we'll take the W.

True. The issue is, schedules are usually made so far in advance, you never know what a program will be like when the time comes to actually play the game. Va Tech being a good example. That said, we'll take the W.
Oh Im not blaming anyone for this year's schedule... On paper 4-5 years ago Im sure it looked great... No way to know ECU would be as awful as they were, or VT would have to fight to get to 6 wins.

Looking forward to playing teams years in advance is tough unless you are talking about the 10 teams that are perennial playoff contenders.

A beats B, B beats C, C beats A is the very hallmark of mediocrity. And that is what the SBC was this year, a bunch of mediocre teams, no one able to kick ass and take charge. Non-conference we got the worst ECU and VPI teams in 3 decades. And some rando I-AA which was not "very good" in its bottom of I-AA league.

Trying to make more out of this mediocrity is just trying not to say the truth.

You accept mediocrity.

A beats B, B beats C, C beats A is the very hallmark of mediocrity. And that is what the SBC was this year, a bunch of mediocre teams, no one able to kick ass and take charge. Non-conference we got the worst ECU and VPI teams in 3 decades. And some rando I-AA which was not "very good" in its bottom of I-AA league.

You accept mediocrity.
you're quote. you talk out both sides of your mouth.

- LOVE your conference. I have seen this three times in my life time. I am certain I will see it again. Most recently, somehow, everyone decided that CUSA was somehow beneath us. We were just "supposed" to beat those schools. It was no accomplishment. If you can find no pleasure in beating your conference mates, then this isn't for you. Contrast this to WVU, which, over that same period, have been in rando cast off conference after rando cast off conference. Yet its (I will grant you, mostly not-alumni, of anywhere) fan base thinks beating random schools the Power Three didn't want is an accomplishment, just as in the past it thought the same about Rutgers or Temple, or St. Bonaventure, or Louisville, or so on. When CH is gone, and if CS is competent enough to hire a good coach, and we start to win again, the first time "well, its just South Alabama" or "well, Georgia State sucks" or such like enters your mind, poke yourself in the eye with a sharp object.

Totally different, but you know that.

Thinking nothing of Marshall VICTORIES and trying to build up Marshall losses are two different things.

When CH is gone and MU grabs this league by the throat and dominates it, I will not be among those who dismiss it as "nothing", as the CUSA haters did.

Totally different, but you know that.

Thinking nothing of Marshall VICTORIES and trying to build up Marshall losses are two different things.

When CH is gone and MU grabs this league by the throat and dominates it, I will not be among those who dismiss it as "nothing", as the CUSA haters did.
No, not different. You contradicted yourself. It's ok, there are no permits involved....

Nolan has us at the #62 SOS, Real RPI has us even higher than that #41. Espn has us at #93. I will say this schedule was the most difficult since the days when Mark Snyder roamed the sidelines.

You accept mediocrity.

Dumb. Stupid. Ignorant post. Congrats!

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Was a difficult schedule. Results and how we got to our record totally unacceptable, though.

So if Ohio State beats Penn State and Penn State beats Michigan and Michigan beats Ohio State, then all 3 are mediocre?

The sunbelt had, by far, the best OOC record of any G5 and was on par with a few P5 conference.

Also, you can watch crappy Albany play Saturday in the FCS playoffs, Virginia Tech finished 5th (ahead of Clemson and UNC) in the ACC and NC State finished 3rd.

We only played 2 teams that finished the season with a losing record and won both those games. It is the first time ever that Marshall has played 10 teams in one year that were all .500 or better.

So if Ohio State beats Penn State and Penn State beats Michigan and Michigan beats Ohio State, then all 3 are mediocre?

The sunbelt had, by far, the best OOC record of any G5 and was on par with a few P5 conference.

Also, you can watch crappy Albany play Saturday in the FCS playoffs, Virginia Tech finished 5th (ahead of Clemson and UNC) in the ACC and NC State finished 3rd.

We only played 2 teams that finished the season with a losing record and won both those games. It is the first time ever that Marshall has played 10 teams in one year that were all .500 or better.
Watching the teams we played in conference none of them were overly impressive and dominant. Call it parity or mediocrity either way they all beat up on each other.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Watching the teams we played in conference none of them were overly impressive and dominant. Call it parity or mediocrity either way they all beat up on each other.
Doesn’t change the fact the conference was 34-22 OOC. The MWC was 25-23, the AAC was 24-40, the MAC was 20-28, and CUSA was 18-18.

So we were better than everyone else even though we had a lot of equality in the conference. JMU and Troy were the only dominate teams in the conference and if JMU could play in the championship game, the winner of that game would get the NY6 spot. I don’t think Troy beating App is enough to lift them over Tulane or SMU.

The worst ECU team in 3 decades
I dont know, I think that one is probably right... I know ECU went 1-11 in 2003, but that team played a ridiculous schedule. That was in CUSA when it was still a good league, and their nonconference games were UNC, Miami, Wake Forest and WVU.

This years Pirates were worse than that team.

Dumb. Stupid. Ignorant post. Congrats!
What an adult level of comment.

Of course, not 6 weeks ago, you were confident in Huff and Fancher and their leading us to the "championship". That is how little you know about sports.

Please be quiet, the adults are talking.

What an adult level of comment.

Of course, not 6 weeks ago, you were confident in Huff and Fancher and their leading us to the "championship". That is how little you know about sports.

Please be quiet, the adults are talking.

Adults may be talking. However your constant babbling does not classify as adult communication.

You are constantly proven wrong, you make ignorant comments, and you clearly are here to trigger me. Which is fine. I Personally enjoy navigating your daily ignorance.

Last edited:
You are constantly proven wrong,

Not 6 weeks ago, you were predicting a division championship. I, and most everyone who knows football, understood that this is a bad football team and said so.

YOU, sir, were "proven wrong". Saying, like a child, that everything that says "Marshall" is the bestest eveeeeeer is not fandom. Its is what a little kid does.

Just to review, I was right, you were wrong. As usual.

I was incorrect on my predictions as a fan, my deepest apologies.

You are incorrect on things you state are fact that have already occurred, as Rifle pointed out above.

The mental defective is on my ignore file, so I have no idea what he did.

Everyone should have some humanity and try to get him mental treatment. Recovery is possible. With treatment, he could be a useful member of society.

the adults are talking.
and laughing at you.
The mental defective is on my ignore file,
You've attained that status. So I'll help him here:

the worst ECU team in 3 decades.
False.
the worst VPI team in 3 decades.
Absurdly false.

And some rando I-AA which was not "very good" in its bottom of I-AA league.
It wasn't very good. It was great.

Bottom league? It was the 4th best FCS conference out of 13

Now, please put yourself on ignore and go find the padded room for the weekend.

Reactions: riflearm2
The mental defective is on my ignore file, so I have no idea what he did.

Everyone should have some humanity and try to get him mental treatment. Recovery is possible. With treatment, he could be a useful member of society.
Speaking of no idea have you found those permits yet?

Reactions: ru4_mu2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT