ADVERTISEMENT

The Search for our Next Athletic Director

You're right, that was too long to read. Let's just say you, I, or anyone on this board knows all the facts. It's all pure speculation and personal opinions. Mike did a very solid job but he had issues as well. People get stale and too comfortable in their positions if not challenged periodically. I think we see this in the Schewey, Old Main, BG, Local, state, federal gov't.. It's everywhere. Get complacent and you get passed. We needed a shakeup, it happened and let's hope for the better. The margin for error at Marshall is razor thin.
Shake up all you want, just make sure it's for the betterment of those you serve and not for your own political gain.

On the academic side, Marshall has made some admirable hires. On the athletic side, not so much. Greg White was one of the “not so much” hires when he was tapped for basketball coach. Why in the world would he be brought back in a higher capacity?

You're right, that was too long to read. Let's just say you, I, or anyone on this board knows all the facts. It's all pure speculation and personal opinions. Mike did a very solid job but he had issues as well. People get stale and too comfortable in their positions if not challenged periodically. I think we see this in the Schewey, Old Main, BG, Local, state, federal gov't.. It's everywhere. Get complacent and you get passed. We needed a shakeup, it happened and let's hope for the better. The margin for error at Marshall is razor thin.

The sad thing is you asked to know. I gave details. Sorry it was too long for you. Just wanted to make sure as much as I knew, was said.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Shake up all you want, just make sure it's for the betterment of those you serve and not for your own political gain.
That's the whole issue. Too often people want this guy or that guy because they know him, he's a good guy, blah, blah, blah; but he may not be the best for Marshall at this point. The political side is bullshit, you don't know, nor I, if anything political was going on or served as motivation for MH's removal. People get stale, people get complacent, job performance suffers, thus the school suffers.

We need to do what's right for Marshall, not you, Sam, me, MH, or anyone else.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
That's the whole issue. Too often people want this guy or that guy because they know him, he's a good guy, blah, blah, blah; but he may not be the best for Marshall at this point. The political side is bullshit, you don't know, nor I, if anything political was going on or served as motivation for MH's removal. People get stale, people get complacent, job performance suffers, thus the school suffers.

We need to do what's right for Marshall, not you, Sam, me, MH, or anyone else.

When Jim Justice made it known his opinion of MU, it got political.
It wouldn't shock me to see some of the BoG folks make a political run in the future.

He's been coming back to WV for years. Long before this decision. You are completely wrong with this.
Visiting, yes.
Living full time? Doubtful.
He spent much of his time living in CA.

I'm not saying he has bad intentions, I'm saying he's not likely a long term type. I just wouldn't be shocked to see him run for office...and in order to help his chances of winning, he'd have to prove he can change things, and MU is his prototype.
I also wouldn't be shocked to see Donkey Lips Miller run soon as well.

Visiting, yes.

I'm not saying he has bad intentions, I'm saying he's not likely a long term type. I just wouldn't be shocked to see him run for office...and in order to help his chances of winning, he'd have to prove he can change things, and MU is his prototype.
He’s had a home in WV for over 3 years. Bought here soon after his retirement as CEO. He has no interest in politics at this time.
What you see is what you get with Brad. He doesn’t operate with ulterior motives. It’s what has made him so successful. His entire career was at one company. His “intentions” are to transform Marshall. Period.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
He’s had a home in WV for over 3 years. Bought here soon after his retirement as CEO. He has no interest in politics at this time.
What you see is what you get with Brad. He doesn’t operate with ulterior motives. It’s what has made him so successful. His entire career was at one company. His “intentions” are to transform Marshall. Period.
I guess we'll see.

- Search committees, interviews, applications, etc. are just window dressing. The powers that be will hire exactly who they want.

- This is a bad job. Ungrateful, delusional fans. Declining market. Low donation numbers. Hostile state government. All in all a general expectation among the local gentry that, somehow, “they” (some unknown combination of rich people, big companies, and the government) are just supposed to supply Marshall athletics to them, at no real cost, like it was some sort of public utility all such cities just have.

- This is also a bad job because the AD here does not have the power of the AD elsewhere. The last AD was publicly humiliated and emasculated. He was told that he really wasn’t in charge of the things his job title puts him in charge of. That power, once taken away, is not going to be returned to the next guy.

- Therefore, we will not get a traditional hire for a place like this, which would be an up and coming YOUNG AD eager to show what he can do in order to move up to the real $$ and power in the true majors. They will stay far away from this place. Therefore, we will get, as we did the last two times, some guy with some sort of tie to the area “coming home” to do a few years in semi-retirement.
Well, aren't you the glass half empty guy.

• Haha
Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Visiting, yes.

You really need to read the article in Huntington Quarterly. It really sheds a light on why Smith came back and wants to be here. Not everything is done for political gain. I totally get that seems to be the case in this crappy state but in this, Smith is here for the right reasons.

That said, Gilbert did a darn good job and kudos to him.

When Jim Justice made it known his opinion of MU, it got political.
It wouldn't shock me to see some of the BoG folks make a political run in the future.
Just because he aired his opinion or thoughts doesn’t mean anything. Who knows what goes on. But then again, I am not a conspiracy theorist. Let’s see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT