ADVERTISEMENT

The Search for the Athletic Director

Yeah, they bitch and moan about the old farts but don’t offer any ideas on how to move the school and program forward.
lol I just did. I often do. I also would say, look around and see how others do it and incorporate it into your program if you can.
The difference and saddest part, is you've been doing this (complaining and doing nothing) for 30+ years.
Good news is the youth (by comparison to others) leading MU are actually looking like they can get things done.

lol I just did. I often do. I also would say, look around and see how others do it and incorporate it into your program if you can.
The difference and saddest part, is you've been doing this (complaining and doing nothing) for 30+ years.
Good news is the youth (by comparison to others) leading MU are actually looking like they can get things done.
I think your frustration should be directed at those in the Schewey. They are the ones that can get things done.
Jim Bob who sits in 112 can’t do a darn thing about the cluster**** that is our game day experience.
Call O‘’Malloy and offer ideas. He may listen.

Tell me what sucks about our ( football) games day experience.
and what needs changed
Tia

I think your frustration should be directed at those in the Schewey. They are the ones that can get things done.
Jim Bob who sits in 112 can’t do a darn thing about the cluster**** that is our game day experience.
Call O‘’Malloy and offer ideas. He may listen.
I actually have reached out to him, nothing as far as a response, yet.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Tell me what sucks about our ( football) games day experience.
and what needs changed
Tia
No organization.
Band plays at the same time the cheerleaders try to do the We Are cheer.
PA Announcer no excitement.
Bad music selection
All these things going on at the same time.

No effort to get crowd into the game.
Endless on field announcements that have nothing to do with the game.

It’s bad and it doesn’t have to be. Just organize the game day schedule and roll with it.

Tell me one person who thinks our game day atmosphere is good or top notch? None can. It would drive someone with ADHD mad!

Hard to get anything going no matter what you do when stadium is 1/3 full

I also would say, look around and see how others do it and incorporate it into your program if you can.

this is being done right now. We have people going to different venues watching, talking, learning and implementing. And this started with our current interim AD. He gets it. He knows things need changed and that we can’t stay the same.

fun times ahead!!

All you young bucks have to do is step up, donate, take leadership positions in the BG and other university bodies and you’ll make progress

they can’t donate what they don’t have yet money wise. What they can continue to do is donate their time and attend games. Talk good about the program when they are out of town, or on social media.

the constant ripping of our programs by people, old and young, is the problem.

pride doesn’t have to do with wins and losses. It has to do with just loving our school and programs.

I miss the pride that used to be in abundance. I miss the tv stations showing the green trash cans around town and the “let’s go Herd” on business marquis and signs.

i miss people like Connie having everyone print off “Beat ____” signs each week.

none of this costs anything for the fans.

show some pride. And things will come.

Last edited:
they can’t donate what they don’t have yet money wise. What they can continue to do is donate their time and attend games. Talk good about the program when they are out of town, or on social media.

pride doesn’t have to do with wins and losses. It has to do with just loving our school and programs.

I miss the pride that used to be in abundance. I miss the tv stations showing the green trash cans around town and the “let’s go Herd” on business marquis and signs.

i miss people like Connie having everyone print off “Beat ____” signs each week.

You say ripping most of us say expecting better results.

Reactions: Jartard

i miss people like Connie having everyone print off “Beat ____” signs each weeknone of this costs anything for the fans.

some good pints

Aaron you have some good points here about our fans needing to realize they can actually be part of a solution. It doesn’t always have to start with someone at Marshall. They can join the ambassador program or ask someone to join the Big Green themselves. It literally costs a person nothing to ask someone. We have roughly 3,000 members. If half would get one new to join we would go to 4,500.

Could Marshall do more? Sure but we all could as well. Our interim AD knows areas that need to be fixed. He is listening. I know that. I don’t know him personally but I have been around him enough to know that he sees the issues and wants to fix them. We have to get our fans realize what they can do. Sure some do. I know that. But some will complain but not do their part. Ask someone to join the BG. Bring them to a game. Reach out to the Athletic Department and ask how they can help. Try r same at the Big Green.

and just to make a point. It isn’t as easy as a lot think to get people to join in. I have dealt with that here in KY. And these are MU grads that proclaim to love the University but don’t do anything to help. We need everybody to jump in. And it can work.

and this isn’t about our fans being bad because we have some great fans. It is about our fans can step up and help out our programs in ways that don’t cost them a dime.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilmherdfan
It costs as little as $10 a month to start with the BG, anyone can afford that.

All you young bucks have to do is step up, donate, take leadership positions in the BG and other university bodies and you’ll make progress
I do. I can speak for other youthful alumni, they donate too.
Would be nice for the state to improve its economic development so younger folks can be more financially involved than they currently are.
As it's been seen, we don't have a 100 yr old dinosaur leading MU like another school in WV. Young head coaches help too.

How old do you have to be to be able to afford to give?

How old do you have to be to be able to afford to give?
I agree. I’m just trying to talk about other things other than donations. I agree 1000 percent that it doesn’t take much to be a Big Green Member, simply talking about other things people can do

any AD update? it seems like this would be wrapping up soon
See comments in the thread yesterday regarding latest comments put out by President Smith. Among other items, personnel, etc., Smith mentioned that 4 finalists for the Athletic Director position have been selected and they will be interviewed this week and next, on campus IIRC. Said there will be an Athletic Director selected by mid-February. That's only TWO weeks, folks!! As ole Ernie Salvatore used to say "Sta-a-a-a-a-a-a-y Tuned", Herd fans!!!

Reactions: putnam green
The four finalists are:
Christian Spears - Pittsburgh
Andrew Goodrich - Syracuse
Chris Park - Washington State
Jeff O’Malley - Marshall

Zero personality. Has had seven months to put his “stamp” on the programs. Zero innovation. It’s like getting rid of a 1979 Cadillac (Hamrick) and replacing it with a 2020 Prius (O’Malley) when you have a fleet of 2022 Porsche GT3s in your garage ie Smith, Huff and Grassie.

Zero personality. Has had seven months to put his “stamp” on the programs. Zero innovation. It’s like getting rid of a 1979 Cadillac (Hamrick) and replacing it with a 2020 Prius (O’Malley) when you have a fleet of 2022 Porsche GT3s in your garage ie Smith, Huff and Grassie.
Lol that’s you’re Porsche?? A guy looking to play another bowl game so we can get to .500 and coaches of 2 sports who combined on a good day might draw 1000 people??
The worse thing we ever did was spend all those resources on Grassie. We will still have as many National champions as will ever will
And you turn around and give a guy without real authority 7 months. Lol

Reactions: The Real SamC
Pick any 2 other than football. The way things are going, you can even include basketball!
We invested over a million more on Huff, staff and support from the previous regime. That's not peanuts chief.

so at $313 per ticket assuming everyone attending pays, we got his salary covered!
If you hate soccer, that's cool. Grassie has lead the greatest three year stretch of any athletic team in Marshall history. Grassie earned it and will continue to. Hamrick is the one that gave him the raise. I hope Huff earns his salary. I think he will. If we want to speak of ROI in relation to budget, look at womens b'ball. Third largest budget in the department and very little return, if any.

so at $313 per ticket assuming everyone attending pays, we got his salary covered!
For the next decade I don't care how much Grassie costs... Guy won a National Championship, there is literally nothing more you can ask than that. He gets the benefit of being among the highest paid coaches in the country.

As for AD -- Give me Goodrich from Syracuse -- MBA from Notre Dame, phD in MARKETING from South Florida... Excellent track record of increasing season ticket sales and advertising revenue while at Syracuse. Side note, a former college athlete, played baseball at Cumberland University and went to the NAIA World Series in 1998.

i would like to see someone hired not connected with the university. Someone who has the nerve to clean house. Someone who will end the big green and come up with a new director and staff and rename the big green to something to revitalize the organization to get people to join and not just keep the number in the group around 3000. This has to change to help save our athletic program. The change our marketing department to promote the athletic department.

i would like to see someone hired not connected with the university. Someone who has the nerve to clean house. Someone who will end the big green and come up with a new director and staff and rename the big green to something to revitalize the organization to get people to join and not just keep the number in the group around 3000. This has to change to help save our athletic program. The change our marketing department to promote the athletic department.
👆

Reactions: putnam green
Soccer - The NCAA rules say (for now, I doubt this will continue into the future) that you have to play a number of other sports to be eligible for football and men's basketball. Might as well be good at some of them. When his salary was announced, I looked it up and its higher than many other successful college programs. Considering even the (stupid IMHO) MLS, I dare say Grassie is in the top 30 highest paid people in his job, something no one else at MU, and probably no one else in WV, is.

AD- Change is a slogan, not a plan. The next AD needs to be able to see where MU athletics stands in an era where the players are paid, many students have no interest, the state and local population is in decline, and everything is on the internet. In the short term, replacing DD would be the first job, followed by the transition to the SBC, and dealing with a football coach that has so far grossly underperformed. Hopefully, the football program can turn around and we will not be dealing with that issue in a few years.

Lol that’s you’re Porsche?? A guy looking to play another bowl game so we can get to .500 and coaches of 2 sports who combined on a good day might draw 1000 people??
The worse thing we ever did was spend all those resources on Grassie. We will still have as many National champions as will ever will
And you turn around and give a guy without real authority 7 months. Lol

I would say you took the #1 spot of the dumbest post on this board by what may seem like an insurmountable distance.

But goddamn Sam "liked" your post so he still maintains a lead.

I would say you took the #1 spot of the dumbest post on this board by what may seem like an insurmountable distance.

But goddamn Sam "liked" your post so he still maintains a lead.
so if I like your post, that would make me brilliant? LOl
if MU took the money we are paying a soccer coach, we could have gone out and found a real OC!!! and at worse soccer attendance would only go down by less than 1000!

• Haha
Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
so if I like your post, that would make me brilliant? LOl
if MU took the money we are paying a soccer coach, we could have gone out and found a real OC!!! and at worse soccer attendance would only go down by less than 1000!
Maybe if those in the Schewey would actually attempt to build the fan base and get new donors; as opposed to blaming the fan base, playing golf at Guyan every day and wasting time at MU Cafe yucking it up, maybe we could afford a better OC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT