ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts and Observations

Aaron Coleman

Bronze Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 10, 2018
As a longtime fan of the Marshall Thundering Herd, I’ve seen some great games, like you have. I’ve seen some bad ones as well, also like you have. But this season here looks like 2016 written all over it. After the first game I had some of you say the same thing. I hoped you were wrong. I just want to man up and say, you were right, I was not. It happens. It is what it is.

Injuries to key players on both sides of the ball have taken their toll, but there are some changes that need to be made. You can’t have a quarterback turn the ball over four times and expect to win at any level of football. I know it’s painfully obvious, but it doesn’t seem like he’s progressing from his freshman year to now. I don’t remember a time where you had a guy throw for 365 and make that many mistakes. Just see what you have with Alex Thomson and let’s see if we can get ourselves bowl eligible. If he proves ineffective, let’s hit the reset button, see what you have in Wells, Underwood, and Sammons in 2020.

Part of how I got into the Herd was regional television. Here in Ohio, when I was younger and we were in the MAC, they would show most of the games on the same channel as the Indians and Cavaliers. When they weren’t in season, the network needed 24 hours to fill and most of the time it was the Herd that filled it. Seeing players like Pennington, Leftwich, Watts, Goddard, Rembert, Chris Crocker, and many others gave me a team to root for. I watched games with my grandma and friends and whoever else. If we continue to go down this road, you will have a younger generation of fans that don’t know or care about the great tradition of Marshall football and that to me is sad. I even dress up my son who is almost 2 on game days in his Marshall colors (unless we have something to do before game time and my wife picks out his outfit) . I want him to enjoy the Herd like I did. Thankfully he’s young and just colors through the game and doesn’t understand why I’m occasionally yelling at the TV or in the stands.

I do believe that after 10 years of Holliday, its time to go in a different direction. I don’t know if the message is getting heard or what, but losing to these guys and only scoring 13 is unacceptable. There’s lots of good assistants with CUSA experience and offensive minds who can bring new ideas and a fresh insight into things. Men such as Graham Harrell (Former Texas Tech QB, Onetime Assistant at N. Texas) Kendal Briles who was under Lane Kiffin at FAU. Then there’s some other proven people such as Rich Rodriguez, who is a native of WV, or maybe Charlie Strong, who may get let go from South Florida. I would like to see a younger coach possibly get this job, (34-38 years old) was whether it’s after the season or when Doc’s contract is up. I just want to be clear that I am not disputing Holliday’s love for Marshall and the program. I know it means a lot to him. I know it means a lot to you all as supporters, alumni, parents, townspeople, etc. It means a lot to me as the podcast producer and as a diehard fan. I try to be objective, develop something interesting to listen to, and I appreciate you all listening and giving feedback.

Just my thoughts. Hopefully we beat ODU next week and I will see most of y’all at the La Tech game in November.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News