ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking Herd football coaches : 1-5

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
Just trying to stir up some activity here on Herd Nation. Here is my list with records included.

1. Bob Pruett 94-23
2. Jim Donnan 64-21
3. Doc Holliday 85-54
4. George Chaump 33-16-1
5. Charles Huff 22-17 *** he makes this list based solely upon his historic win over notre Dame.

I purposely did not include Cam Henderson due to the level of competition during his tenure.

Laughable to list CH along with those successful coaches. His own lapdog AD called his most recent year "unacceptable" (before accepting it). He is a loser, and when finally fired, will leave behind a team that is a shell of what he was handed.

Starting in 1971.

- Bob Pruett. Yes he was handed a great team, and had a player who belonged at a much higher level fall into his lap, but still you cannot argue with what he accomplished.
- Jim Donnan. Also a great coach. Really 1 and 1A, with BP getting the nod because he is one of us, and JD wasn't.
- Doc Holiday. Sustained success, rebuilt the program that Marcum and Snyder destroyed. Unloved and unappreciated.
- George Chaump. Solid coach, but was looking for the next gig from Day One. Still accomplished a lot with little to work with.
- Jack Lengyel. No further commentary needed.
- Stan Parrish. Had a winning season. The stadium was rotten, the field torn, and others turned the job down because we could not afford uniforms. THAT, children, where MU football was and why you should appreciate what we have.
- Sonny Randle. Left the program far better than he found it.
- Frank Elwood. Jack Lengyel had an excuse. Elwood did not.
- Charles Huff. Team has been worse every year. Filled with excuses. Does not get the job done.
- Mark Snyder. Loser. Unqualified for the job, hired by an idiot, kept on by an idiot. Destroyed all that had been built up to that time. Loser.

Laughable to list CH along with those successful coaches. His own lapdog AD called his most recent year "unacceptable" (before accepting it). He is a loser, and when finally fired, will leave behind a team that is a shell of what he was handed.

Starting in 1971.

- Bob Pruett. Yes he was handed a great team, and had a player who belonged at a much higher level fall into his lap, but still you cannot argue with what he accomplished.
- Jim Donnan. Also a great coach. Really 1 and 1A, with BP getting the nod because he is one of us, and JD wasn't.
- Doc Holiday. Sustained success, rebuilt the program that Marcum and Snyder destroyed. Unloved and unappreciated.
- George Chaump. Solid coach, but was looking for the next gig from Day One. Still accomplished a lot with little to work with.
- Stan Parrish. Had a winning season. The stadium was rotten, the field torn, and others turned the job down because we could not afford uniforms. THAT, children, where MU football was and why you should appreciate what we have.
- Charles Huff. Team has been worse every year. Filled with excuses. Does not get the job done.
- Mark Snyder. Loser. Unqualified for the job, hired by an idiot, kept on by an idiot. Destroyed all that had been built up to that time. Loser.
Cant really disagree with this much... I would put Huff ahead of Ellwood. I think he and Snyder should absolutely be the bottom two... Id also move Lengyel above Chaump, based solely on the fact that no coach in the history of football has had to take on what he took on when he got the job.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Just trying to stir up some activity here on Herd Nation. Here is my list with records included.

1. Bob Pruett 94-23
2. Jim Donnan 64-21
3. Doc Holliday 85-54
4. George Chaump 33-16-1
5. Charles Huff 22-17 *** he makes this list based solely upon his historic win over notre Dame.

I purposely did not include Cam Henderson due to the level of competition during his tenure.
Lengyel kept the program alive. I had the pleasure in 2006 of telling him that and his record of 9-33 was the best 9-33 in the history of football. We owe so much to Jack Lengyel.

In the cases of Snyder and Huff, although I don't think much of either as football coaches, they had to cash some checks they didn't write!

Starting in 1971.

Verna Gibson hired Mark Snyder, no else.

In terms of actual coaching -

Pruett
Donnan
Parrish
Chaump
Doc
and the rest.

To say Holliday was unloved and unappreciated is a little strong. We all appreciated what he did, no question.
It's what he didn't do and how he lost some games that sting.

Pruett
Donnan
Parrish
Chaump
Doc
and the rest.

To say Holliday was unloved and unappreciated is a little strong. We all appreciated what he did, no question.
I never really got over the WVU debacle. Sticks a cold true Frosh in the game on the goal line , when 3 QB sneaks that didn't gain an inch still would have won the game for us. Tron spits up the ball and the rest is history!

Pruett
Donnan
Parrish
Chaump
Doc
and the rest.

I don’t appreciate him. I think he ushered in the era of accepted mediocrity by our fan base. He lost way too many home games. He got 11 seasons with some of the biggest blowout losses we have had including to fellow G schools and even worse conference mates.

The funny thing is and I see this mentioned a lot on this board is he rebuilt the program from Snyder. No he didn’t he had the advantage of playing in a horrible version of CUSA and a completely watered down OOC. I think Snyder was absolutely horrible but when the conference was still intact we were no better under Holiday than we were under Snyder. Do I think Doc is better than Snyder absolutely, but please don’t forget you aren’t comparing apples to apples with Mark and Docs tenure. I don’t think mark would have been better with docs schedules but we will never know.

My top 5 would be
Pruett
Donnan
Chaump
Parish
Lengyel

Holiday would be 6th
Huff 7th he has the ability to move into the top 5 if he starts winning championships. He’s had 1 awesome signature win over Notre Dame and a good P5 win over Tech. Throw in a Sunbelt championship and it moves him up.
Snyder 8th

I don’t appreciate him. I think he ushered in the era of accepted mediocrity by our fan base. He lost way too many home games. He got 11 seasons with some of the biggest blowout losses we have had including to fellow G schools and even worse conference mates.

The funny thing is and I see this mentioned a lot on this board is he rebuilt the program from Snyder. No he didn’t he had the advantage of playing in a horrible version of CUSA and a completely watered down OOC. I think Snyder was absolutely horrible but when the conference was still intact we were no better under Holiday than we were under Snyder. Do I think Doc is better than Snyder absolutely, but please don’t forget you aren’t comparing apples to apples with Mark and Docs tenure. I don’t think mark would have been better with docs schedules but we will never know.

My top 5 would be
Pruett
Donnan
Chaump
Parish
Lengyel

Holiday would be 6th
Huff 7th he has the ability to move into the top 5 if he starts winning championships. He’s had 1 awesome signature win over Notre Dame and a good P5 win over Tech. Throw in a Sunbelt championship and it moves him up.
Snyder 8th
Good points

My top 5 would be
Pruett
Donnan
Chaump
Parish
Lengyel

Holiday would be 6th
Snyder 8th
giphy.gif

Reactions: caliherd

My top 5 would be
Pruett
Donnan
Chaump
Parish
Lengyel

Holiday would be 6th
Snyder 8th
Tonight Show Comedian GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reactions: caliherd
I’d switch Pruett and Donnan. Pruett won with Donnan’s recruits for 2-3 years which included Pennington and Troy Brown. Donnan was possibly the best evaluator of talent that we have ever had in Huntington.

Pruitt definitely stopped developing players towards the end of his run, his success caused a lot of coaching changes, add the struggles with Marcum on things needed for the program, that all lead to a mediocre team handed over to Snyder, Snyder was good on one side of the ball only, never established a QB or QB coach with anything, Bradshaw was our only hope.

Donnan great coach and did a ton of good things.

Pruitt great head coach that proved he was in it to win.

Snyder sucked

Holiday sucked seemed like a good guy but wouldn’t make proper changes

Huff ___________, seems like a good guy, has another chance to prove he can do the job.

Next man up?

I think it is almost impossible to compare coaches over different periods of time. Jack, Frank, and even Randle faced a different world to compete in. I personally knew and worked with two of them and a good friend coached under Randle, so I have a distorted view of their coaching abilities (positive). Recruiting was a different world then. I like the idea of "what could have Coach X done with Coach Y's teams?" In the new world of today's college football I guess you have to include not only how good can they recruit, but how good are they at managing the payroll. Not the staff's pay but the players. I like how one college baseball coach I know looks at the money. He tries to keep every player with an even amount of "resources." Otherwise he feels it will tear teams apart. I think we were very fortunate to have coaches like Chaump, Donnan, and Pruitt. Post-NCAA uproar, Snyder and Doc could have been great coaches, but the world again changed. Now CHuff is in the middle of another complete re-start of college football. I hope he figures it out.

Donnan has to be #1 in my book. Not only did he raise us to the level of an FCS power, he left so much talent behind and culture that Pruett has not only the best FCS team of all time in 1996, he had enough talented underclassmen to go 45-4 the next three years.

Pruett had the skills and motivational abilities to take that talent and build on it, but the foundation, culture and swagger was put in place by Donnan.

Donnan has to be #1 in my book. Not only did he raise us to the level of an FCS power, he left so much talent behind and culture that Pruett has not only the best FCS team of all time in 1996, he had enough talented underclassmen to go 45-4 the next three years.

Pruett had the skills and motivational abilities to take that talent and build on it, but the foundation, culture and swagger was put in place by Donnan.
From what I've heard and read, seems like Jim Donnan really, really regrets leaving Marshall. Guess the professional and personal urge to prove himself on the "biggest" stage, the SEC in college football, was too great. He won a good bit at GA, or UGA, I believe including something like 4 Bowl games in a row. Couldn't/Didn't beat hated rivals like Auburn and Florida nearly as much as he needed. Believe the "Ole Ball Coach" was the Head Gator, at least for a while, during part of Jim's tenure in Athens. When those Dawg fans are "foaming-at-the-mouth" bat-crap crazy over losses in their football program, you know you are on borrowed time!!! Word is that even Uga growled menacingly at Jim D. near the end!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Donnan and Pruett were both great coaches. Donnan was really good at finding talent and in most cases developing it. But if I had to pick a "game day" coach I would go with Bob. Jim sometimes had trouble coaching against good coaches. Tressel came back in the second half to beat us in Statesboro for the 1-AA championship. YSU beat us at the Joan for the national championship as did Montana. That is two loses on our home field for the National Championship. In the 1992 championship, YSU almost came back and beat us in the game in Huntington. We were leading Boise at halftime and they came back to beat us in a 1-AA semifinal game. Jim left a lot on the table or field. That is why Jim got fired at UGA as posted above, he had trouble winning the "big" games.

Bob did fairly well in big games. Beating a ranked Kansas State on the road was hugh. He won the 1-AA championship. He won at Clemson and South Carolina. He took Ohio State and Tenn to the wire. Both coaches had their strengths and weaknesses.

From what I've heard and read, seems like Jim Donnan really, really regrets leaving Marshall. Guess the professional and personal urge to prove himself on the "biggest" stage, the SEC in college football, was too great.
JD was done wrong by Georgia, in many people's opinion. He took over from a coach that pretty much was bringing in a .500 or so record every year, and after going 5-6 in the first year, went 10-2, 9-3, 8-4 and 8-4, winning every bowl game. He was, however 2-3 vs. Georgia Tech, back when that mattered; and 1-4 vs. Florida, which still does. He was also 2-3 vs. Tennessee.

The university president fired him, while the AD the legendary coach Vince Dooley was out of town. He was replaced by Mark Richt who lasted 15 long years, with results that were not much better, particularly once JD's recruits aged out.

Never go over the AD's head or behind his back.

--

JD got defrauded in some kind of Ponzi scheme that involved a chain of "liquidation stores" where prospective investors (many of them well known coaches) were taken up in the office of these stores behind one-way glass and shown how great business was, however the stores were a fraud, selling merchandise below cost to make it look prosperous. He, and his family, including Todd Donnan, all filed for bankruptcy, but he later settled. I have no idea what his financial situation is now.

He used to give gambling picks on SXM radio back when its college sports channel was worth a darn, but that was some years ago. It is worse than ESPN now.

.He was replaced by Mark Richt who lasted 15 long years, with results that were not much better, particularly once JD's recruits aged out.

Like usual, you have no idea what you're talking about. Richt, with or without Donnan's recruits, vastly performed better.

Donnad had one top 10 finish in his five seasons.
Richt had three top 10 finishes in his first four seasons.

Donnan had one top 10 finish in his five seasons.
Richt had seven top 10 finishes in his 15 seasons.

Donnan had no SEC championships in his five seasons.
Richt had two SEC championships in his first five seasons.

Donnan had no SEC East Championships in his five seasons.
Richt had five SEC East Championships in his 15 seasons.

And that doesn't begin to describe the issues Donnan had with the most prominent boosters and legendary figures in Georgia Athletics.

JD got defrauded in some kind of Ponzi scheme

You're clueless. Donnan was as guilty as Crabtree was. Crabtree even testified against him and admitted that Donnan was aware of everything. Donnan avoided both federal and bankruptcy court trials by using his "aww, shucks" persona and playing dumb, even though his co-conspirator testified otherwise. Donnan had taken nearly $10 million from the company, which not surprisingly considering the lack of ethics, was a west virginia company with their biggest warehouse being in Huntington.

however the stores were a fraud, selling merchandise below cost to make it look prosperous.

No, that's not how it was a "fraud." They weren't selling merchandise below cost. There is nothing fraudulent about that. They were wholesale liquidators: The company would buy returned/damaged/older goods that were either perfectly fine or refurbished, bought at a huge discount, and then would sell those. It's no different than what TJX Companies, Inc. and others do.

The issue (one of a few) came when they couldn't sell inventory fast enough in order to get investors a return, so they started using money from investors to pay other investors, which is a textbook definition of "ponzi scheme." Donnan ran around telling investors that the goods they bought at a discount already had contracts in place to be purchased by other companies, so it was a no-risk investment, which of course, wasn't true.

He, and his family, including Todd Donnan, all filed for bankruptcy, but he later settled. I have no idea what his financial situation is now.
Yeah, in an attempt to not lose everything they bought with the ponzi scheme funds. They didn't file for bankruptcy because they lost so much money to the ponzi scheme. They filed to avoid litigation from other investors and to avoid having to give up the millions that they profited from the fraud.

Todd only invested $50k yet received more than $600k back from the scheme. Jim and his wife bought Todd and his wife a million-dollar house from money made from the scheme. Jim got paid a percentage of all the money invested that he recruited from his contacts.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT