ADVERTISEMENT

Landon's Article Today Shows Marshall is Trapped By It's Love of the Familiar

Sam made a lot of good points. He called a spade a spade. If you are cool with being a spade, then why take offense to what he said.

He made multiple points about how a vast number of Marshall fans act. There was nothing false about what he said.

he said that Marshall fans are not loyal for turning on Doc Holiday after 11 seasons with 1 championship in the worst conference in football. So miss me with the “he didn’t say anything false” bull crap.

Why are we not thinking bigger? We shouldn't have let Doc go so that we could replace him with another Doc! What about guys out there like Bill Bedenbaugh (Co-Offensive Coordinator & OL coach at Oklahoma), Marcus Frieman (DC/LBs @ Cincinnati), Chris Ash (Defensive Coordinator @ Texas), Tony Gibson (DC/Linebackers coach @ NC State), Curt Cignetti (just lost a National Championship Game @ James Madison), or Jay Hill (HC @ Weber State that turned around their program).

Now, we may or may not have "ties" to any of those guys... they may not be interested - right now. A great athletic director goes out and creates "ties" and recruits. My thoughts on Lee Moon are well documented... hated the dude. But he went out and GOT Jim Donnan... he went out and GOT Dana Altman (who was only at MU for a year, but moving to K-State is an incredible upgrade)... he went out and GOT Billy Donovan... he went out and GOT Bobby Pruett. Time for Mike Hamrick to earn his stripes... not time to sit around the Shewey Building and hope that an add on ZipRecruiter, Indeed, or Monster will help us land a GREAT coach.

Fellas (and ladies), GOOD IS THE ENEMY OF GREAT!!!! If we settle for an "easy" hire and don't go out and do a national search - actually RECRUITING, then we should have just renewed Doc's contract and continued to be what we have been - boring as hell, inflated record, no wins against big-time opponents, and an annual invite to the Clorox Who Gives a Crap Bowl.

What about guys out there like Bill Bedenbaugh (Co-Offensive Coordinator & OL coach at Oklahoma),

Lobbying for him based on what?

Marcus Frieman (DC/LBs @ Cincinnati),

He has (or will have after one good year at ND) better HC options. Guys on the bubble like him have no reason to come to a Marshall, hope they can do really well for three years, and then hope they get a better job. He is on the cusp of a much better job already.

Chris Ash (Defensive Coordinator @ Texas),

You realize he was just a head coach, right? From 2016-2019, he went:

2-10
4-8
1-11
1-4 (and was then fired)

That's the worst stretch at Rutgers in nearly 20 years.

Cignetti based on what? He's been at JMU for one season. Tony Gibson based on what?

I can get behind Jay Hill.

No. Some seem to think if they're a Marshall coach or player they deserve no criticism and no matter the results they should be left alone. Doc could have went winless for several seasons and some of you would still keep him.

There are some that assume anyone critical or wanting more is a bad fan.

Most of us are fans of the school. We want those on the sideline and on the field to be the best possible candidate to lift this school onto the championship podium.

I don't care who is on the sidelines (unless they're sleazy Rich rod then no) as long as they are winning. Coaches are employees not friends. They are hired to do a job. If you want touchy feely if you wear green you're alright stuff then go be a fan of an NAIA team where it really doesn't matter.

I don't root for a coach. I root for the team. I don't root for a player. I root for the team. If they aren't the best option available to make the team succeed then we find someone that will. As I said above you look at these individuals like they themselves deserve our undying, unwavering, and blind loyalty.

You can say that's fair weather all you want, but I'm not a Doc Holliday fan. I'm a Marshall fan. I'm not a Bob Pruett fan, a Mark Snyder fan, and I won't be a fan of the next HC. I am a fan of Marshall and I expect a little more from a guy we're paying 17x the average income in WV. I expect more from the highest paid employee in the university. Imagine if academics in the university fell to sanction level. Would you not hold the school president responsible or would you be fine with it because well he's "our president."

If we just want to have a guy over there and winning doesn't matter at all then pay him 50k a year. Let him buy his own car.

Sam didn't make any great points. Doc didn't do a great job. He did an average to good job. A great job would be several titles and dominating a conference full of start up and directional schools.

Save me the pity for Bob Pruett. He was a great coach but he didn't get ran out. He got out. Sure they wouldn't give him the increased recruiting budget he demanded or an IPF, but the man got this program put on probation and scholarship numbers reduced. Players were on steroids, having drugs tests rigged, exam keys were given out, tutors were writing papers for players, taking tests for players, and don't forget the mops for props.

And before anyone tries to say I'm making those things up I witnessed all of them first hand. My first two years in Towers I lived on the floor with several Marshall players and I ran around with several of them. I got to know a lot of the big name guys and was in the same circle of friends. I had a player on my floor who was from the south and refused to go to class when there was snow on the ground. He got a call from his team appointed tutor one day when we were all in his room playing NCAA Football on PS2. The tutor asked him why he hadn't been in class all week and asked him if he knew he had an overdue paper. He said, "**** I'm__________ I'm from___________ and I don't do snow. Don't you know I'm going to the league." That overdue paper was taken care of in short order.

I don't know how it works now, but when Pruett was there players didn't have to take their exams with the rest of the class. They came, got their exam, then went over to the facilities and "took" their tests. I had class with a backup center who refused to do it. Said he wanted to make his own grades and told me all about what went on. It wasn't a secret.

I knew a star defensive player that walked around with a pack of Swisher Sweet whistle tip cigars that had been freaked(tabacco switched out for weed). I asked him what was going to do if he got popped to take a test. He laughed and said he had one coming later that week and it had "been taken care of."

I can keep going on and on and on. As I have stated on numerous occasions I stopped going to games in the Snyder years because I couldn't bring myself to root for some of his players because I had seen how they treated other people. Especially women. I saw Snyder players pull knives on some guys in front Towers. Right there in front of the door.

So please save me the sob stories of poor ol Bobby Pruett. Between the crap he did as a coach and the stunt he and Justice pulled back in 2017 he can kick rocks. Thanks for the championships, but please stay retired.
Just like the Donnan years.

Time for Mike Hamrick to earn his stripes... not time to sit around the Shewey Building and hope that an add on ZipRecruiter, Indeed, or Monster will help us land a GREAT coach.
Thankfully Hamrick is NOT making this hire. He is basically a facilitator at the committee meetings

Lobbying for him based on what?

He has (or will have after one good year at ND) better HC options. Guys on the bubble like him have no reason to come to a Marshall, hope they can do really well for three years, and then hope they get a better job. He is on the cusp of a much better job already.

You realize he was just a head coach, right? From 2016-2019, he went:

2-10
4-8
1-11
1-4 (and was then fired)

That's the worst stretch at Rutgers in nearly 20 years.

Cignetti based on what? He's been at JMU for one season. Tony Gibson based on what?

I can get behind Jay Hill.
Not really lobbying for any of them... just want us to think bigger than the bubble we all expect will be the focus of the search. I think it would be a grave mistake to just look at the obvious coaches with direct connections. Don't really know anything about any of those guys except that their listed salaries would make them hire-able. Hope that whoever is doing the hiring is "leaving no stone unturned," as I would like to see us land a Jim Donnan type coach (with a better personality, of course). Just want us to win!

I hope Chuckie Mullet isn't on the committee. He is like so many people around Huntington and associated with Marshall sports. They want a 'feel good' or 'warm and fuzzy feeling. Cut the cord! Go Herd! Get a real coach not a puppet!

ADVERTISEMENT