ADVERTISEMENT

Landon's Article Today Shows Marshall is Trapped By It's Love of the Familiar

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
Man this stuff kills me.

Why do the candidates always have to be someone with ties to Marshall. Here are the names that Landon says should be given interviews.

Brad Lambert, Ricky Brumfield, Ja'Juan Seider, Marty Biagi, Gerad Parker, Gunter Brewer, and Jay Hopson.

Would anyone be excited with any of these guys being name HC? I mean maybe Seider, but come on. Does not one think we can do better than this? Always have to be a homecoming retirement job for someone or someone's first gig. Why aren't we interviewing the top FCS coaches? Why are we not at least reaching out to the top OC's in the nation like Clemson's OC. I don't know his situation, but it seems that being the OC of Clemson the last six seasons could be a nice get for us. Their offense is exciting and you know he's going to have some nice recruiting ties.

But let's look at these names.

Brad Lambert.

Sure he's a nice guy and everyone loves him. He does a really good job with the defense, but he is a failed HC. Yes I know that Charlotte was in the birth and building process, but at any time when we played them (yes I know he beat us once) did anyone look at what they were doing and think he was a coach on the rise? Did anyone like what they saw out of Charlotte's offenses or their recruiting? I sure didn't. His in game coaching wasn't any better than Doc's and seeing how he's been here for two years and Doc brought him in you know he and Doc were on the same page with philosophy. So that isn't changing. He isn't going to bring a more aggressive offense in to Huntington. At best Lambert would be our Bill Stewart. The players pick. Sure his hire would probably allow us to stave of the mass exodus of transfers and the players would rally around him for next season, but as time wears on and the team takes on his fingerprints we'd slip backwards. Maybe stay the same, but we wanted Doc gone because his philosophy brought one title in 11 seasons and gave us a lot of heart breaking losses. Why continue that? Yes he's a nice guy, but if at the end of five seasons we maybe have one title are you going to be alright with that because Lambert is a "nicer" guy in the community.

Ricky Brumfield

Ricky is a career assistant coach and is currently serving as UVA's special teams coordinator and TE coach. That is all he's ever been. A special teams coordinator. From 2001-03 he was the STC/WR Coach at Union College, 2004-10 he was the STC/WR Coach at Fairmont State, 2011-12 STC/Safeties Coach at Nicholls State, 2013-15 he was the STC/CB coach at WKU, 2016-17 he was the STC/TE Coach at UTSA, 2018-19 he was the STC for UVA. Landon's reasoning? He is a young coach and has family in WV. Well whoopidy doo! That equals championships!

Marty Biagi

Why Biagi? He's a former Herd kicker who played from 2004-07. Currently he's the Special Teams Coordinator and Defensive Assistant at Purdue. Here are his other stops.
2011: Co-DC for Arkansas-Pinebluff
2012-14: STC/DB Coach at Southern
2015: DB coach at South Dakota
2016: Special Teams Analyst at Notre Dame
2017-19: STC at North Texas

Just don't get the draw with this one either. Not saying he couldn't be a HC, but I would think with where our team currently stands we could get someone more qualified and ready to hit the ground running.

Ju'Juan Seider

If I had to choose from this list I guess that Seider would be my choice. We know that he could recruit. I just don't know what type of HC he would be. He did take shots at the program on his way out on twitter. That makes you wonder what he actually thinks of us. Since leaving us in 2012 he went on to WVU and was their RB coach from 2013-16, then was the RB coach at Florida for 2017, and since 2018 he's been RB coach at PSU. You have to ask the question. If Seider is such a good coach why has he only been a RB coach or recruiting coordinator? Is he just not a younger version of Doc? Remember that was his big selling point was that he was a known recruiter. I know we'd have some talent come in here for sure if Seider was the coach and maybe he'd be more aggressive seeing how he is younger, but he's been in the college coaching ranks since 2008 and he's never made it past RB coach. Why does not one else see anything more from him? Some on here had said when he left he'd be an OC in no time and then we could bring him back after Doc left. Well according to his bio that never happened.

Gerad Parker

First off he's on this list because he coached WRs here from 2011-12 so he gets that big requirement checked off. After that why? He was OC at WVU this past season. Well did anyone watch WVU football this year? I know they were good statistically, but their offense looked an awful lot like ours at times and it was only one season. Is he ready to be a HC. Is he the guy to take Marshall football to the next level?

Gunter Brewer

Why does Landon want Brewer? Because he coached here from 1996-99. He's been at a lot of stops since here. UNC (2000-04, 2012-17), Oklahoma St (2008-10), Ole Miss (2011), Philadelphia Eagles(2018) , and Louisville(2019-present). Brewer is 57 years old and has only made it as high as co-OC in his career. Like Doc no one ever saw fit to give him a shot at being a HC? I mean he's been coaching in college since 1986. I mean 35 years in the coaching ranks and not one time was he a HC. Wasn't that the biggest gripe against Doc at the time he was hired and all through his tenure. That he was just a career assistant? I don't know. I just see an aging coach that's a nostalgic hire to give a buddy a retirement gig. Did we not just do that? Was everyone not happy with that?

Jay Hopson.

Why Jay Hopson? What on earth has he done to say he's the guy to take us to the top of the G5 ranks. He's the guy to win multiple championships. Oh wait. There it is. He coached DBs here from 1996 to 2000. There's the lone qualification someone needs to be our coach. Aside from Lambert, Hopson is the only name here that has actually been a HC and at both levels. We best know him for his lackluster stint at USM. So how did Hopson do as a HC. Well here are his records as a HC.

Alcorn State: 4-7, 9-3, 10-3 with a conference title, and 9-4 with a conference title.
USM: 7-6, 8-5, 6-5, 7-6, 0-1.

Hopson was ran out of Hattiesburg. Why? Because he's teams continued to look like hot garbage. Why do we want him? I know USM was in some bad ways when he got there, but he took over in 2016. He had 4 seasons to turn that program around and he wasn't doing it. They were at best the middle of the road team sharing 2nd place just once in 2018. His watermark was 3rd place. USM isn't a bad program either. They have a solid history and there is good recruiting down there in Mississippi. So why Jay? Does coaching at Marshall 21 years ago really outweigh the rest of his so-so career.

Remember we decided to move on from Doc because he could only win 8-10 games a season and only one championship in 11 seasons. Going to bowls and finishing 2nd and 3rd in the east every year was not good enough. So why aren't we going after higher profile candidates to do what we supposedly want? Why are we not banging down the doors and blowing up the phones of the top OCs and DCs in the nation or combing through the FCS ranks interviewing the Jim Donnan's and Bob Pruett's that are down there winning FCS National Championships? Why is our candidate list full of retreads, former MU position coaches, and buddy hires? I'm not saying they're all bad. Seider is intriguing. However please tell me why Marshall football, especially with where our team currently stands, had to be a primary school or retirement home for coaches with Marshall connections.

It just goes to show you why we don't win multiple championships anymore. Our administration doesn't think that highly of Marshall anymore. We used have a chip on our shoulder and were eager to prove ourselves. To play anyone anywhere and refused to settle for anything less than a championship. it had been that way since we got that taste in our first I-AA National Title appearance and definitely from the time Jim Donnan took the job in 1990. Then somehow about 2005 we lost that fire. We became a program that just does what it can with what it has. If we somehow win a championship great, but as long as we can make a bowl game we're doing alright. Our administration has lost its lust for excellence. It's why our AD went on national tv with a list of all-time great coaches that started with losing seasons trying to justify keeping Mark Snyder. Talk about horrible extensions. It's why we kept Doc for 11 seasons and his seat never really got that hot. It's why were looking for old pals to do us a solid and guide our little program.

Marshall fans want to know why Marshall hasn't been able to replicate the 90s. We want to know why we can't be Boise. Well there's why. Our administration doesn't believe we can and doesn't possess the desire to. It's proof in their practices. Remember guys wanting to have another 1997-2002 run is decades old thinking and CUSA is full of tough hungry opponents. Accept your lot guys. Evidently this is as good as it gets.

Hey maybe I look stupid in a week or two and we hire someone no one ever saw coming, but the list the list of names so far does nothing for me. None of the names are exciting.

Landon Does like Marshall Football And does not want a good coach here . He has so much as said that in previous columns. Look at who he is recommending now.

Man this stuff kills me.

Why do the candidates always have to be someone with ties to Marshall. Here are the names that Landon says should be given interviews.

Brad Lambert, Ricky Brumfield, Ja'Juan Seider, Marty Biagi, Gerad Parker, Gunter Brewer, and Jay Hopson.

Would anyone be excited with any of these guys being name HC? I mean maybe Seider, but come on. Does not one think we can do better than this? Always have to be a homecoming retirement job for someone or someone's first gig. Why aren't we interviewing the top FCS coaches? Why are we not at least reaching out to the top OC's in the nation like Clemson's OC. I don't know his situation, but it seems that being the OC of Clemson the last six seasons could be a nice get for us. Their offense is exciting and you know he's going to have some nice recruiting ties.

Brad Lambert.

Sure he's a nice guy and everyone loves him. He does a really good job with the defense, but he is a failed HC. Yes I know that Charlotte was in the birth and building process, but at any time when we played them (yes I know he beat us once) did anyone look at what they were doing and think he was a coach on the rise? Did anyone like what they saw out of Charlotte's offenses or their recruiting? I sure didn't. His in game coaching wasn't any better than Doc's and seeing how he's been here for two years and Doc brought him in you know he and Doc were on the same page with philosophy. So that isn't changing. He isn't going to bring a more aggressive offense in to Huntington. At best Lambert would be our Bill Stewart. The players pick. Sure his hire would probably allow us to stave of the mass exodus of transfers and the players would rally around him for next season, but as time wears on and the team takes on his fingerprints we'd slip backwards. Maybe stay the same, but we wanted Doc gone because his philosophy brought one title in 11 seasons and gave us a lot of heart breaking losses. Why continue that? Yes he's a nice guy, but if at the end of five seasons we maybe have one title are you going to be alright with that because Lambert is a "nicer" guy in the community.

Ricky Brumfield

Ricky is a career assistant coach and is currently serving as UVA's special teams coordinator and TE coach. That is all he's ever been. A special teams coordinator. From 2001-03 he was the STC/WR Coach at Union College, 2004-10 he was the STC/WR Coach at Fairmont State, 2011-12 STC/Safeties Coach at Nicholls State, 2013-15 he was the STC/CB coach at WKU, 2016-17 he was the STC/TE Coach at UTSA, 2018-19 he was the STC for UVA. Landon's reasoning? He is a young coach and has family in WV. Well whoopidy doo! That equals championships!

Marty Biagi

Why Biagi? He's a former Herd kicker who played from 2004-07. Currently he's the Special Teams Coordinator and Defensive Assistant at Purdue. Here are his other stops.

Just don't get the draw with this one either. Not saying he couldn't be a HC, but I would think with where our team currently stands we could get someone more qualified and ready to hit the ground running.

Ju'Juan Seider

If I had to choose from this list I guess that Seider would be my choice. We know that he could recruit. I just don't know what type of HC he would be. He did take shots at the program on his way out on twitter. That makes you wonder what he actually thinks of us. Since leaving us in 2012 he went on to WVU and was their RB coach from 2013-16, then was the RB coach at Florida for 2017, and since 2018 he's been RB coach at PSU. You have to ask the question. If Seider is such a good coach why has he only been a RB coach or recruiting coordinator? Is he just not a younger version of Doc? Remember that was his big selling point was that he was a known recruiter. I know we'd have some talent come in here for sure if Seider was the coach and maybe he'd be more aggressive seeing how he is younger, but he's been in the college coaching ranks since 2008 and he's never made it past RB coach. Why does not one else see anything more from him? Some on here had said when he left he'd be an OC in no time and then we could bring him back after Doc left. Well according to his bio that never happened.

Gerad Parker

First off he's on this list because he coached WRs here from 2011-12 so he gets that big requirement checked off. After that why? He was OC at WVU this past season. Well did anyone watch WVU football this year? I know they were good statistically, but their offense looked an awful lot like ours at times and it was only one season. Is he ready to be a HC. Is he the guy to take Marshall football to the next level?

Gunter Brewer

Why does Landon want Brewer? Because he coached here from 1996-99. He's been at a lot of stops since here. UNC (2000-04, 2012-17), Oklahoma St (2008-10), Ole Miss (2011), Philadelphia Eagles(2018) , and Louisville(2019-present). Brewer is 57 years old and has only made it as high as co-OC in his career. Like Doc no one ever saw fit to give him a shot at being a HC? I mean he's been coaching in college since 1986. I mean 35 years in the coaching ranks and not one time was he a HC. Wasn't that the biggest gripe against Doc at the time he was hired and all through his tenure. That he was just a career assistant? I don't know. I just see an aging coach that's a nostalgic hire to give a buddy a retirement gig. Did we not just do that? Was everyone not happy with that?

Jay Hopson.

Why Jay Hopson? What on earth has he done to say he's the guy to take us to the top of the G5 ranks. He's the guy to win multiple championships. Oh wait. There it is. He coached DBs here from 1996 to 2000. There's the lone qualification someone needs to be our coach. Aside from Lambert, Hopson is the only name here that has actually been a HC and at both levels. We best know him for his lackluster stint at USM. So how did Hopson do as a HC. Well here are his records as a HC.

Alcorn State: 4-7, 9-3, 10-3 with a conference title, and 9-4 with a conference title.

Hopson was ran out of Hattiesburg. Why? Because he's teams continued to look like hot garbage. Why do we want him? I know USM was in some bad ways when he got there, but he took over in 2016. He had 4 seasons to turn that program around and he wasn't doing it. They were at best the middle of the road team sharing 2nd place just once in 2018. His watermark was 3rd place. USM isn't a bad program either. They have a solid history and there is good recruiting down there in Mississippi. So why Jay? Does coaching at Marshall 21 years ago really outweigh the rest of his so-so career.

Remember we decided to move on from Doc because he could only win 8-10 games a season and only one championship in 11 seasons. Going to bowls and finishing 2nd and 3rd in the east every year was not good enough. So why aren't we going after higher profile candidates to do what we supposedly want? Why are we not banging down the doors and blowing up the phones of the top OCs and DCs in the nation or combing through the FCS ranks interviewing the Jim Donnan's and Bob Pruett's that are down there winning FCS National Championships? Why is our candidate list full of retreads, former MU position coaches, and buddy hires? I'm not saying they're all bad. Seider is intriguing. However please tell me why Marshall football, especially with where our team currently stands, had to be a primary school or retirement home for coaches with Marshall connections.

It just goes to show you why we don't win multiple championships anymore. Our administration doesn't think that highly of Marshall anymore. We used have a chip on our shoulder and were eager to prove ourselves. To play anyone anywhere and refused to settle for anything less than a championship. it had been that way since we got that taste in our first I-AA National Title appearance and definitely from the time Jim Donnan took the job in 1990. Then somehow about 2005 we lost that fire. We became a program that just does what it can with what it has. If we somehow win a championship great, but as long as we can make a bowl game we're doing alright. Our administration has lost its lust for excellence. It's why our AD went on national tv with a list of all-time great coaches that started with losing seasons trying to justify keeping Mark Snyder. Talk about horrible extensions. It's why we kept Doc for 11 seasons and his seat never really got that hot. It's why were looking for old pals to do us a solid and guide our little program.

Marshall fans want to know why Marshall hasn't been able to replicate the 90s. We want to know why we can't be Boise. Well there's why. Our administration doesn't believe we can and doesn't possess the desire to. It's proof in their practices. Remember guys wanting to have another 1997-2002 run is decades old thinking and CUSA is full of tough hungry opponents. Accept your lot guys. Evidently this is as good as it gets.

Hey maybe I look stupid in a week or two and we hire someone no one ever saw coming, but the list the list of names so far does nothing for me. None of the names are exciting.
Sadly, Chuck is an example of the typical WV mindset.

Landon Does like Marshall Football And does not want a good coach here . He has so much as said that in previous columns. Look at who he is recommending now.

I just did look at who he is recommending now and his list is underwhelming at best. Biagi? Really?

What is it with Marshall where we're so afraid of being a stepping stone program? Why do we always have to find less pretty girl we don't think would ever leave us.

If we hire a coach that leaves in 3-4 seasons that means the program is tearing it up and a P5 plucked them away. Stop it with all these safe hires. It's time to swing for the fences. Otherwise we're never going to get back to the 90s or be up there with Boise, UCF, UC, and other G5 programs we like to fancy as our peers.

I will say that Chuck's ability to gauge the temperature of Marshall Athletics (or football at least) is without nowadays.

Not long ago, he completely made up a player's name (the first nor the last name are names of a player listed on the current roster) during a podcast. I'm not even sure how you do that TBH.

Although I remember a story of Bobby Knight completely making up a recruit's name just so show that Tom Lemming had no clue of what he was talking about. Pretty hilarious.

The only guy on this list I would seriously consider is Seider, and that is even assuming he would have interest in coming back to MU.

Just throwing out a list of guys who either played or coached here is the kind of thing a lazy columnist would do when he doesn't have any actual info on who the committee may be targeting early on.

Just throwing out a list of guys who either played or coached here is the kind of thing a lazy columnist would do when he doesn't have any actual info on who the committee may be targeting early on.

That describes CL perfectly. He was a hack when he was actually trying, and has been phoning it in for the last 20 years. He just listed some random MU WVU WV tied people.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Man this stuff kills me.

Brad Lambert.

Ricky Brumfield

Marty Biagi

Ju'Juan Seider

Gerad Parker

Gunter Brewer

Jay Hopson.

what was is that seider said when he left

Lord, I hope Landon doesn't get wind of Lewis having interest, he'll go all KO on us and write an article about why Lewis is too good for the MU job.

I just did look at who he is recommending now and his list is underwhelming at best. Biagi? Really?

What is it with Marshall where we're so afraid of being a stepping stone program? Why do we always have to find less pretty girl we don't think would ever leave us.

If we hire a coach that leaves in 3-4 seasons that means the program is tearing it up and a P5 plucked them away. Stop it with all these safe hires. It's time to swing for the fences. Otherwise we're never going to get back to the 90s or be up there with Boise, UCF, UC, and other G5 programs we like to fancy as our peers.
I never forgave Biagi for missing the extra point that would have won the game for us during the incredible comeback we mounted against ECU in Mobile! As we ultimately won in OT so I guess all is forgiven.

Why are we not at least reaching out to the top OC's in the nation like Clemson's OC. I don't know his situation, but it seems that being the OC of Clemson the last six seasons could be a nice get for us. Their offense is exciting and you know he's going to have some nice recruiting ties.

It may have something to do with him making almost $2 million annually and him having turned down interviews at solid P5 schools.

We have to be a little realistic.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
It may have something to do with him making almost $2 million annually and him having turned down interviews at solid P5 schools.

We have to be a little realistic.
I get what you're saying, but it doesn't hurt to try. G5 schools hire top OCs and DCs all the time.

I'm sure you're right though. He may be really happy where he is. I was just using him as an example.

I never forgave Biagi for missing the extra point that would have won the game for us during the incredible comeback we mounted against ECU in Mobile! As we ultimately won in OT so I guess all is forgiven.
That game was in 2001 or 2002. Biagi played here from 2004-07.

Reactions: ohio herd
I get what you're saying, but it doesn't hurt to try. G5 schools hire top OCs and DCs all the time.

I'm sure you're right though. He may be really happy where he is. I was just using him as an example.
The Clemson OC is someone who's been mentioned for the Michigan job, if Harbaugh were to take the San Diego job. I do have a question for you though, when it comes to Landon. What is his handle here on HN?

Landon only wants a coach here that will allow him in a press conference. If Jim Donnan wasn't retired and out of football he would be my first choice.

I will say that Chuck's ability to gauge the temperature of Marshall Athletics (or football at least) is without nowadays.

Not long ago, he completely made up a player's name (the first nor the last name are names of a player listed on the current roster) during a podcast. I'm not even sure how you do that TBH.

Although I remember a story of Bobby Knight completely making up a recruit's name just so show that Tom Lemming had no clue of what he was talking about. Pretty hilarious.

Do you know about Sidd Finch?

Seider is a maybe but that is about as excited most of us would get with that hire, eh. I honestly wouldn't mind Alex Mirabal getting the opportunity. He is a highly thought of Oline coach. I have no idea if he has a desire to become a head coach, but if he was interested I would consider him to be a good option.

But ultimately, as has been said, we have to break away from this WV good ole boys mentality of only hiring people we have experience with. I'm not saying some of those names shouldn't be included in the search, heck I added one... but that cannot be the entire search. We are severely limiting ourselves when we do that. Sadly, I think Sam's view of our school is much more common than we want to admit: "who would want to come to our school... our town sucks... wah wah wah". The athletic department and the University clearly feels this way if we are conducting a search only by asking people who have a connection to the university (like maybe they owe us something).

This is a good job. This is a marquee G5 school. We need to be selling candidates on the fact that building something special at Marshall means something. Look at how fans still think of BP, heck you have fans calling for him to be coach again despite the fact we all know it would be a train wreck! Success at Marshall brings you loyalty. It also can bring you a bigger job, if we want it to. The problem is, we are a school that typically hires coaches we know will be around for a while. Coaches we know won't leave us for a bigger school for one reason or another. It makes us feel safe. It also creates a self fulfilling prophecy where coaches will look more negatively on the program because they don't feel they can come here and then take the next step in their coaching journey. That's why it is important to hire a coach with ambition. Hire someone who is going to use us for 3 years and bolt for a bigger job. We need that in our program but we're never going to get it with the attitude of going after coaches about to retire or ones that are only at Marshall because of some connection to the university.

Bottom-line we need a change of culture in our athletic program and university. That starts with replacing Hamrick, bringing in a new football coach, and winning games/changing the atmosphere around the department.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
This is a good job. This is a marquee G5 school.

This was a good job.

Success at Marshall brings you loyalty.

Loyalty?

Tell that to BP, done wrong and lied to by KO, and forced to leave as a matter of honor.

Tell that to Doc, who did a great job, and was let go.

Tell that to MH, who is the best AD we have ever had, who will be pushed out by June.

MU is the opposite of loyalty. An ungrateful and entitled fan base that expects to win every game, but which considers that to be no accomplishment. A rotten fan base that has no respect for any of our conference mates. A uppity crew that considers any bowl game we have a realistic shot at going to beneath their caring about. In sum, a crowd that will NEVER consider ANYTHING that any coach accomplishes here to be "success".

• Love
Reactions: Aaron Perkins
The OC from Florida looks like a good target if interested in the job, and I would like to see what he could do with Wells. It worked out pretty good for us last time we took a coordinator from UF...

Reactions: captain jb22
This was a good job.

Loyalty?

Tell that to BP, done wrong and lied to by KO, and forced to leave as a matter of honor.

Tell that to MH, who is the best AD we have ever had, who will be pushed out by June.

MU is the opposite of loyalty. An ungrateful and entitled fan base that expects to win every game, but which considers that to be no accomplishment. A rotten fan base that has no respect for any of our conference mates. A uppity crew that considers any bowl game we have a realistic shot at going to beneath their caring about. In sum, a crowd that will NEVER consider ANYTHING that any coach accomplishes here to be "success".

Cry about it more and go find another program. I'm not going to try and reason with someone that clearly doesn't want to listen. You simply want to be the loudest to complain and moan and show everyone what a great fan you were. Fans like you are part of the problem for our university and the more you complain and whine the worse it gets. Go find a new program to ruin.

Sam made a lot of good points. He called a spade a spade. If you are cool with being a spade, then why take offense to what he said.

He made multiple points about how a vast number of Marshall fans act. There was nothing false about what he said.

Reactions: The Real SamC
Marshall was most successful when we hired coaches that would leave after success

Parish, Chaump, Donnan, and Pruett. All three before Pruett left for a bigger job and Pruett could have. Those years were a 20 year run of success.

Sam made a lot of good points. He called a spade a spade. If you are cool with being a spade, then why take offense to what he said.

He made multiple points about how a vast number of Marshall fans act. There was nothing false about what he said.
I am cool with being called a spade, but my friend Michigan might not be.

You simply want to be the loudest to complain and moan and show everyone what a great fan you were. Fans like you are part of the problem for our university and the more you complain and whine the worse it gets.

He hurt you, didn't he? Don't worry, he was actually talking to Sam, although I can see how you were confused.

No. Some seem to think if they're a Marshall coach or player they deserve no criticism and no matter the results they should be left alone. Doc could have went winless for several seasons and some of you would still keep him.

There are some that assume anyone critical or wanting more is a bad fan.

Most of us are fans of the school. We want those on the sideline and on the field to be the best possible candidate to lift this school onto the championship podium.

I don't care who is on the sidelines (unless they're sleazy Rich rod then no) as long as they are winning. Coaches are employees not friends. They are hired to do a job. If you want touchy feely if you wear green you're alright stuff then go be a fan of an NAIA team where it really doesn't matter.

I don't root for a coach. I root for the team. I don't root for a player. I root for the team. If they aren't the best option available to make the team succeed then we find someone that will. As I said above you look at these individuals like they themselves deserve our undying, unwavering, and blind loyalty.

You can say that's fair weather all you want, but I'm not a Doc Holliday fan. I'm a Marshall fan. I'm not a Bob Pruett fan, a Mark Snyder fan, and I won't be a fan of the next HC. I am a fan of Marshall and I expect a little more from a guy we're paying 17x the average income in WV. I expect more from the highest paid employee in the university. Imagine if academics in the university fell to sanction level. Would you not hold the school president responsible or would you be fine with it because well he's "our president."

If we just want to have a guy over there and winning doesn't matter at all then pay him 50k a year. Let him buy his own car.

Sam didn't make any great points. Doc didn't do a great job. He did an average to good job. A great job would be several titles and dominating a conference full of start up and directional schools.

Save me the pity for Bob Pruett. He was a great coach but he didn't get ran out. He got out. Sure they wouldn't give him the increased recruiting budget he demanded or an IPF, but the man got this program put on probation and scholarship numbers reduced. Players were on steroids, having drugs tests rigged, exam keys were given out, tutors were writing papers for players, taking tests for players, and don't forget the mops for props.

And before anyone tries to say I'm making those things up I witnessed all of them first hand. My first two years in Towers I lived on the floor with several Marshall players and I ran around with several of them. I got to know a lot of the big name guys and was in the same circle of friends. I had a player on my floor who was from the south and refused to go to class when there was snow on the ground. He got a call from his team appointed tutor one day when we were all in his room playing NCAA Football on PS2. The tutor asked him why he hadn't been in class all week and asked him if he knew he had an overdue paper. He said, "**** I'm__________ I'm from___________ and I don't do snow. Don't you know I'm going to the league." That overdue paper was taken care of in short order.

I don't know how it works now, but when Pruett was there players didn't have to take their exams with the rest of the class. They came, got their exam, then went over to the facilities and "took" their tests. I had class with a backup center who refused to do it. Said he wanted to make his own grades and told me all about what went on. It wasn't a secret.

I knew a star defensive player that walked around with a pack of Swisher Sweet whistle tip cigars that had been freaked(tabacco switched out for weed). I asked him what was going to do if he got popped to take a test. He laughed and said he had one coming later that week and it had "been taken care of."

I can keep going on and on and on. As I have stated on numerous occasions I stopped going to games in the Snyder years because I couldn't bring myself to root for some of his players because I had seen how they treated other people. Especially women. I saw Snyder players pull knives on some guys in front Towers. Right there in front of the door.

So please save me the sob stories of poor ol Bobby Pruett. Between the crap he did as a coach and the stunt he and Justice pulled back in 2017 he can kick rocks. Thanks for the championships, but please stay retired.

This was a good job.

Loyalty?

Pruett was begged to stay.

I don't know how it works now, but when Pruett was there players didn't have to take their exams with the rest of the class. They came, got their exam, then went over to the facilities and "took" their tests. I had class with a backup center who refused to do it. Said he wanted to make his own grades and told me all about what went on. It wasn't a secret.

Same

Doc's average record over 11 years was 7.7 wins and 4.9 losses.
Marshall's last 3 FB coaches have departed under less than smooth circumstances.
We need to right the ship now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT