ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Smocks Article Dead On...but?

Were all these fans saying the same things when we were dominating the MAC? Some people just aren't happy unless they are complaining. It's a fact of life. People were complaining last year about Cato, the schedule, Doc not running up the score etc, instead of just enjoying one of our all time great teams and players. Fans are never satisfied.

I expect us to dominate everyone in this conference and be with in the Top 5 premier G5 programs

Were all these fans saying the same things when we were dominating the MAC?

No. Those of us that were actually around during the MAC era were extremely proud of what the Herd was accomplishing during that period. In fact, the only people questioning our success at the D-1 level were the typical WPU fans as well as much of the media. Of course these were the same idiots who suggested we would get walked on by the MAC and D1 level and predicted our demise prior moving up. Those were good times to be a Marshall fan too.

Again, I don't recall too many complaints last year dealing with our offensive output. Most fans were expecting a perfect, dominate season and a chance for a big bowl berth. Most were expressing frustration over the system that requires teams at our level needing perfect seasons in order to even be considered a top 25 team. It was a completely different conversation than what we are having now.

Record setting QB - Gone
Record setting Slot - Gone
Best Returning Deep Threat - Gone
4 Yr Starter at Center - Gone
Best returning OL - Injured
Top 2 RBs - Injured (Both are now back)
OL two deep - (2) Srs , (2) Jrs - One a walk on and the other playing a brand new position. (3) SO, and (2) FR.

Defensive Player of the year - Gone
6th Year Sr DL - Gone
Possibly Best CB in school history - Gone
Best returning DB - Gone

Cato's first two seasons - 12-12 - Since then including this year 28-6. Two Bowl wins and we will go bowling again this year.

We are 5-1 with an excellent opportunity to win 10+ games for the 3rd consecutive year. With a Freshman QB, who while very talented, is also very raw.

Whiners!

Have we not dominated this conference the last 2 years and looking like we will dominate for a third year and shaping up to dominate in the near future??
I can not agree more. What the hell is wrong with some of our fans. Did we think we could instantly replace Cato and Shuler and Jasperse. I was like many others and hoping all the reports on Birdsong were at least half way realistic before season started and that the Oline, receiving corps wouldn't have suffered from losses as well.

We are winning games, that is bottom line, it doesn't matter which phase is doing it for us. Our defense is so enlightening this year, we should have taken a few steps back with what we have lost to graduation and attrition but we surely have not and they are getting better as the year goes on.

It is crazy for us to expect 40 point wins while we are making adjustments and going through growing pains on offense. It is a bit disappointing that our Oline is not where we expected, sucks for rockhead and Litton could possible be even better with better pocket protection but it is what it is right now. Those who continue to expect 40 point wins are not being realistic at all this year. Domination will not come in that fashion this year, but we can continue to win, which is in essence a form of domination, right? We will find out against MTSU and WKY.

Most expect a win by 3 TDs or more when the domination word is used. In 2013 we didn't even win at MT or Rice in the CCG. Kicked a FG at FAU late to win and wouldn't surprise me if its the same deal this Sat. 2014 much better but we didn't dominate at our own place vs WKU or LT but spin on. When we've won the league 3-5 straight I will re-consider. In the AAC this yr WITH THE NQs which is not allowed we would prob finish 3rd to 5th unless a huge improvement is made on Offense. D is coming on. G Thompson the DPOW a former NQ wouldn't be allowed in those hallowed halls. Glad we have him. Glad we can take NQs in CUSA.

I can not agree more. What the hell is wrong with some of our fans. .

So you are agreeing with a guy who was attempting to make a counterpoint/reply, with a (shown to be) inaccurate assumption, to another specific post? Interesting.

What is wrong with some of our fans? They cant read or comprehend effectively what is actually being discussed within the correct context and simply resort to calling others whiners or terrible fans when pointing to obvious circumstances, situations within the realm of that discussion.

Bottom line, IMO our league is shitty. (If it were not, we wouldn't have to literally go undefeated year in/ year out for national ranking consideration) Such an opinion should not be interpreted into people/fans being unhappy or disappointed that we are winning, as some self proclaimed "real fans" continue to try and insinuate. I am happy we are able to win while we participate in this league. Might as well dominate it while the opportunity affords itself.

Yes. I'm waiting for that. But I will be satisfied Sat with a close win over a team that beat Charlotte by 10.. I guess if FAU and Charlotte are shitty and we win by ten that would make us what....stinky?....piss poor? Cant come up with much else.

Reactions: Herd Fever
Every G-5 team has to go undefeated to receive recognition or significantly upgrade their non-conference schedule. Even then, more than 1 loss and you're out.

As a whole, all of the G-5 conferences suck.....The AAC currently sucking the least. (I would have preferred the AAC)

If all you were interested in was national recognition, as a G-5 you would be better served to be an independent. However, then you sacrifice the bowl tie in contracts. That's why there are only 2 G-5 independents.

Reactions: beefcake0520
I don't worry about whether we win by 1 or by 30.

Last year we barely got by UAB and lost to WKU at home. Then we pounded NIU, who had won the MAC and beaten Northwestern.

2013 we lost 4 games but beat Maryland who had beaten Va Tech and beaten WVU by 37.

Control what we can control in the current situation.....Just win Baby!

So you are agreeing with a guy who was attempting to make a counterpoint/reply, with a (shown to be) inaccurate assumption, to another specific post? Interesting.

What is wrong with some of our fans? They cant read or comprehend effectively what is actually being discussed within the correct context and simply resort to calling others whiners or terrible fans when pointing to obvious circumstances, situations within the realm of that discussion.

Bottom line, IMO our league is shitty. (If it were not, we wouldn't have to literally go undefeated year in/ year out for national ranking consideration) Such an opinion should not be interpreted into people/fans being unhappy or disappointed that we are winning, as some self proclaimed "real fans" continue to try and insinuate. I am happy we are able to win while we participate in this league. Might as well dominate it while the opportunity affords itself.
I agreed with his statement that I replied to, you assume that means I agree with everything anyone says if I or anyone else replies to ONE of their statements. I for one am not questioning anyone's fanhood for not agreeing with me or anyone else or thinking what they do. Doesn't mean I agree with the thought process or point of view. There really is no need in calling individuals out, its likely not going to change anything.

I stand by what I see and say. I like many others want complete domination but wanting and being realistic, at least giving the hurdles we currently face this year, contradict each other. So I will be satisfied with just wins, no matter how ugly or which phase it came in. As far as being in a shitty league, every G5 program can say that. Last year CUSA was one of the best G-5 leagues, this year its middling. Last year the AAC took it on the chin like we are this year, but this year they are atop the G5 leagues. Nothing will be constant year to year in that respect.

I agreed with his statement that I replied to, you assume that means I agree with everything anyone says if I or anyone else replies to ONE of their statements. I for one am not questioning anyone's fanhood for not agreeing with me or anyone else or thinking what they do. Doesn't mean I agree with the thought process or point of view. There really is no need in calling individuals out, its likely not going to change anything.

I stand by what I see and say. I like many others want complete domination but wanting and being realistic, at least giving the hurdles we currently face this year, contradict each other. So I will be satisfied with just wins, no matter how ugly or which phase it came in. As far as being in a shitty league, every G5 program can say that. Last year CUSA was one of the best G-5 leagues, this year its middling. Last year the AAC took it on the chin like we are this year, but this year they are atop the G5 leagues. Nothing will be constant year to year in that respect.

Don't worry about him, he has this thing where he goes against anything I say and anyone who agrees with me he will go after also. Just a lonely old bitter man

Reactions: beefcake0520
Cool. Glad we all have come to a consensus that we are in a shitty league, as my original op suggested. "Consensus" is a wonderful thing from what I am told.

How one perceives our ability/inability to dominate or squeak out wins from year to year within the same shitty league is a completely different discussion for another time.

I agreed with his statement that I replied to, you assume that means I agree with everything anyone says if I or anyone else replies to ONE of their statements.

This makes very little sense when considering how the specific conversation and discussion between us was going. Oh well.

It is probably the safest and easiest thing for most to agree with Fever on most topics considering his history. When he is shown to be ignorant of a topic, or question his opinion, the mods and administrators are sure to get a complaint from him.

Oh I am not near done yet. I am waiting to hear how you dominate on the one hand and have to fear those shitty teams on the road. 98 and 99 was maybe domination and at least half those teams were shitty too. The bottom half of every Go5 league is shitty as well as some of the big boys. Tulane, UCF, USF, SMU no diff than any other shitty teams except we cant take the G Thompsons, Vinny Currys, Cory Tindals, Steve Dillons, D McManus', R Huskeys, M Harveys, T Pittmans etc etc etc. I'll take the shitty league with those guys rather than the shitty leagues without.

This makes very little sense when considering how the specific conversation and discussion between us was going. Oh well.

It is probably the safest and easiest thing for most to agree with Fever on most topics considering his history. When he is shown to be ignorant of a topic, or question his opinion, the mods and administrators are sure to get a complaint from him.

Funny thing is, I don't complain. I just laugh, ask any mod or admin on this site

Don't worry about him, he has this thing where he goes against anything I say and anyone who agrees with me he will go after also. Just a man. A real man who looks to have logical discussion.

Fixed that last sentence for you.....;)

The thing is, I was not going against what you said at all. You attempted to insert yourself into the discussion by asserting something about my opinion that was completely fraudulent. More importantly, you were shown to be completely inaccurate in your asinine assumption. (which is why beefcake was questioned) No need for you to whine about your error. Just move on.

Oh I am not near done yet. I am waiting to hear how you dominate on the one hand and have to fear those shitty teams on the road. 98 and 99 was maybe domination and at least half those teams were shitty too. The bottom half of every Go5 league is shitty as well as some of the big boys. Tulane, UCF, USF, SMU no diff than any other shitty teams except we cant take the G Thompsons, Vinny Currys, Cory Tindals, Steve Dillons, D McManus', R Huskeys, M Harveys, T Pittmans etc etc etc. I'll take the shitty league with those guys rather than the shitty leagues without.

Please be done. Your rambling about decades old teams and past or current players has nothing to do with what is being discussed here. Who is suggesting we are currently fearing shitty teams or that we should fear shitty teams? Who is saying that we are "dominating" everyone we play(ed). I've read no one saying what you are now suggesting. Seriously, I have no idea what you are attempting to discuss.

You said we play in a shitty league. You said "might as well dominate it while the opportunity affords". I merely pointed out that we haven't come close to dominating it yet. So your whole message seems to be that we should go somewhere else. Well they don't want us, we don't have the money and anywhere we might wind up has some shitty teams at the bottom just like CUSA. Hope we can get a win Sat vs a team I assume you think is shitty seeing where they stand in the conf ranking. Might be you that has the reading comprehension problem.

I don't have to agree with a whole conversation to agree with a statement, pretty sure I quoted the statement and not the conversation. Petty to argue something like that, I concede. I wasn't adding to yours or his conversation but adding to the topic of discussion, I didn't think that was too hard to figure out, but as you say, oh well.

Ok, to everyone complaining how bad our offense looked against USM in the 4th quarter, we had the game put away. No use hurting Litton's confidence by throwing.

Secondly, do any of you remember the play calling Cato's freshman year? I mean it was absolutely awful. We all hated it. We all said Legg should go. Even Cato was frustrated with it and it was rumored he was on the verge of quitting the team... Towards the ends of the season it got better. The next year we had the best offense in the country.

All that to say this: Legg is purposefully taking as many variables out of the offense as he can and still be somewhat successful. The kid is a true freshman, yes he's been good. But he has a learning curve just like everyone else. We have to allow him to progress and not rush him. Because of how bad our conference is we may be able to wait until the last game of the regular season to get creative with the offense. And if you remember the last time we had a freshman qb that's about when we started to open up the playbook more (ecu game and then the bowl)

You said we play in a shitty league. You said "might as well dominate it while the opportunity affords". I merely pointed out that we haven't come close to dominating it yet. So your whole message seems to be that we should go somewhere else. Well they don't want us, we don't have the money and anywhere we might wind up has some shitty teams at the bottom just like CUSA. Hope we can get a win Sat vs a team I assume you think is shitty seeing where they stand in the conf ranking. Might be you that has the reading comprehension problem.

You come up with a lot of wild fascinating conclusions that were not even being suggested. Try and read again.

"might as well dominate it" is reaffirming an overall attitude our fans and team should have as we continue to be here. God knows we are NOT dominating anything this year, even while we play in a shitty league. Simply leave it as that. The fact that we are NOT dominating this league suggests a whole host additional commentary that may get the homers riled up, but.............(another thread for another time....because it has nothing to do with this discussion)

Where did I suggest "go somewhere else"? Where? No one in this discussion suggested or inferred that should be the case. Those are your ignorant half-cocked assumptions. And again, what would that have to do with what exactly was originally being discussed anyway?

Please, continue your ramble of 1998. It was comical.

I don't have to agree with a whole conversation to agree with a statement, pretty sure I quoted the statement and not the conversation.

Again, I never suggested you had to agree with the entire conversation. You were agreeing with a specific statement/reply he made to me that was completely inaccurate. It was also shown to be completely inaccurate....but you agreed anyway.

Lets make this simple with a hypothetical example:

Fever claims I said Marshall wears blue jerseys. I reply to Fever that was never said and in fact show him where I was discussing green jerseys..........What should you agree with?

a) Fever's fraudulent claim
b) My rebuttal which shows Fever to be a liar, incoherent, or both
c) neither. move on about your day knowing this foolish exchange in an otherwise interesting thread was not needed after understanding what was being discussed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT