ADVERTISEMENT

Todd Goebbel to coach QBs

A

anon_0314hp8ssprnn

According to coachingsearch.com

Marshall: With the addition of Aubrey Hill as wide receivers coach, previous wide receivers coach Todd Goebbel will move to quarterbacks. It currently gives Marshall 10 assistants, though one will likely serve as quality control until the NCAA's 10th assistant proposal is voted upon in April.

Reactions: ToesMU
I like Goebbel, but would rather see someone who has been successful and experienced at that position coach the quarterbacks.

Getting older and having other priorities, I'm going to find it very difficult to pay money to watch Legg's offense again this year. When you leave the stadium mad, it just doesn't make sense any more.

I was hoping for a OL coach change at least. I don't think Legg is going anywhere, we have spring ball approaching soon, would think that change would have already happened if it was going to.

I was hoping for a OL coach change at least. I don't think Legg is going anywhere, we have spring ball approaching soon, would think that change would have already happened if it was going to.

Why? Coach Mirabel has done a great job. He has the respect of all the players. He treats them like family. Last year his two main seniors were injured almost all season. VanHorn was never the same after his chest surgery and suffered other injuries. Selby was injured early and went for as long as he could go, playing hurt. Both the other guards suffered through injuries. Was breaking in a freshman center. They could not maintain any continuity as they couldn't keep the same starting 5 on the field for two games in a row let alone just for a complete game due to injures.

Why? Coach Mirabel has done a great job. He has the respect of all the players. He treats them like family. Last year his two main seniors were injured almost all season. VanHorn was never the same after his chest surgery and suffered other injuries. Selby was injured early and went for as long as he could go, playing hurt. Both the other guards suffered through injuries. Was breaking in a freshman center. They could not maintain any continuity as they couldn't keep the same starting 5 on the field for two games in a row let alone just for a complete game due to injures.

Because Legg would be a better OL coach??

Either way, the OL has been a liability the past 2 years because of poor technique and fundamentals not because of injuries. Injuries dont stop you not false starting every other play

I would like to see some young blood come in and work with the QBs. I know of a coach who's been quite successful in the lower ranks, and would be a great hire. Not to mention, he's a graduate of Marshall. Can't mention his name due to board rules.

Reactions: 30Kelly
I like Goebbel, but would rather see someone who has been successful and experienced at that position coach the quarterbacks.
He was successful. Be it at a lower level. People on here scream for change. They say get a young coach from a lower level. Get a QB coach. Well, people are getting what they have yearned for.
Agree. I hope Alex stays for a very long time.

Reactions: Josh Stowers
In 2014, Goebbel led Dominican to an 11-2 mark, an NCAA regional final appearance and a No. 4 finish in both the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) and D2Football.com poll. He also directed quarterback Mark Miller, who finished seventh in voting for the Harlon Hill Trophy, which is presented annually to the best player in NCAA Division II.

Goebbel’s offense averaged 35.6 points and 445.3 yards per game, led the country in completion percentage (67.9) and was second nationally in red zone offense (90.9 percent).

In 2013, Dominican finished 10-1 and was Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) champions. Goebbel led an offense that was also top 10 nationally and part of a team that made a second-round appearance in the Division II playoffs.

Goebbel directed a high-octane Panther offense in 2012, as ODU finished amongst the nation’s best in scoring offense. The Panthers averaged 40.8 points per game, good for 12th in the country, and ranked 13th nationally in rushing yards (244.9 per game). Ohio Dominican also ranked 27th in total offense, racking up 452.8 yards per game, and the Panthers had the No. 8 offense in passing efficiency (161.0) while allowing just six sacks all season.

Under Goebbel’s tutelage, Ohio Dominican enjoyed its most prolific rushing attack in school history. Running back Mike Noffsinger set the school single-season and career rushing records and was honored as a Hill Trophy candidate in 2011. Jeremy Fudge emerged as one of the top dual-threat quarterbacks in the conference, leading all GLIAC quarterbacks in rushing while also completing over 60 percent of his passes.

Reactions: jdf12550
All that is great Josh. The question is will Todd's OC (Legg) let Goebbel "coach" the QBs in his (Goebbel) way or Leggs way. We already know the answer to the Legg way!

All that is great Josh. The question is will Todd's OC (Legg) let Goebbel "coach" the QBs in his (Goebbel) way or Leggs way. We already know the answer to the Legg way!

How do you know the answer to that? Legg has been the QB coach since he arrived.

Can't mention his name due to board rules.

That's not true. You are allowed to as long as you don't use his entire name, as long as you don't use the Rivals database to get the information, or as long as it isn't damaging. Josh Stowers told me himself.

Seems like someone has a ton of time on their hands in Abilene, TX to have multiple rivals name

PERSONAL INFORMATION VIOLATION! SUSPEND THAT ACCOUNT FOR 30 DAYS! AND JOSH STOWERS, THE KING OF HYPOCRISY, SUPPORTED THIS RELEASE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION! That should be a double suspension for him considering his release of personal information a few days ago which went unpunished.

Don't worry, I have already registered "inked_jamaican" and "drewnasty_1."

He was successful. Be it at a lower level. People on here scream for change. They say get a young coach from a lower level. Get a QB coach. Well, people are getting what they have yearned for.

You seem to have a lenient definition of the word "successful," at least if you were referring to as a quarterback coach. As a QB coach, his QBs as a whole had poor to average numbers. His offenses were very run heavy.

Before his arrival:

2008: 323 passing/game, 67% completion, 30 TDs/5 INTs
2009: 278 passing/game, 55.8% completion, 18 TDs/12 INTs (sophomore QBs)

His arrival (important to note, the two QBs in 2009 were the same two he had in 2010:

2010: 133 passing/game, 53.8% completion, 6 TDs/14 INTs (junior QBs)
2011: 169 passing/game, 63% completion, 16 TDs/7 INTs (senior QB)
2012: 208 passing/game, 61% completion, 23 TDs/11 INTs (sophomore QB)
2013: 241 passing/game, 67.5% completion, 24 TDs/11 INTs (junior QB)
2014: 283 passing/game, 67.9% completion, 31 TDs/11 INTs (senior QB)

After he left:

2015: 252 passing/game, 63.7% completion, 21 TDs/7 INTs (sophomore QB)
2016: 260 passing/game, 70% completion, 25 TDs/11 INTs (junior QB)

Under him, they averaged 27.6 passes per game and 40.1 rushes per game, so he had very run heavy offenses. Even when he had a three-year starting senior at QB, they ran it 4 more times per game than they threw it.

Some strong statistical tendencies show his QBs throwing a lot of interceptions even though he doesn't pass it much. His QBs had a 2 to 1 TD/INT ratio, which isn't good. The exact same QBs he inherited in 2010 were the two starters in 2009. The QBs were far better statistically in 2009 compared to when he took them over in 2010.

As a coordinator:

Before his arrival:

2008: 439 yards per game, 34.7 points
2009: 444 yards per game, 34.7 points

His arrival

2010: 297 yards per game, 17.1 points per game
2011: 381 yards per game, 31.9 points per game
2012: 453 yards per game, 40.8 points per game
2013: 477 yards per game, 37.9 points per game
2014: 446 yards per game, 35.6 points per game

After he left:

2015: 405 yards per game, 35.6 points per game
2016: 387 yards per game, 28.2 points per game

Strong statistical indicators are that it took him until year three to have an offense that matched and surpassed the previous offense. If it takes that long now, the staff may not be around for year three. If the quarterbacks he inherits decline as much as they did when he inherited other starting QBs, the same may hold true about them not being around for year three. Starting with year three, he had the offense back up to the success the previous OC had the two years prior to him taking over. With the exception of year three, which was his banner year, his offenses were either worse (years one and two) or about the same (years four and five) as the offense was the previous two years before he took over. But, that's not necessarily a negative strike against him, as the offense was very good the two years before he took over.

The year after he left, the offense didn't see much change. The second year, it declined.

Besides being very run heavy, his offenses have also been slow tempo. Their plays per game were 62.1, 68.2, 66.7, 73.6, and 70.5.

I haven't ran numbers yet for this season in FBS, but those numbers are all far below the average plays per game in those respective years (comparing D2 to FBS, so not quite apples to apples).

Now, based on these stats, some of my assumptions have been just that; assumptions. For instance, even though both QBs returned from 2009 (before his arrival) and 2010 (when he arrived), they may have graduated the rest of their offense that year which would account for the huge drop in production. Further, his run-heavy and slow offenses may have been based on the roster instead of scheme. If so, I agree that you have to scheme for your roster instead of trying to jam your roster into fitting into your scheme. But, after being there that many years, I would hope that they had time to recruit to their scheme. As a result, I believe his preference is to have slower tempo, run-heavy offenses, unless they didn't do a good job recruiting to the scheme they wanted.

Reactions: marshallisqbu
In 2014, Goebbel led Dominican to an 11-2 mark, an NCAA regional final appearance and a No. 4 finish in both the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA) and D2Football.com poll. He also directed quarterback Mark Miller, who finished seventh in voting for the Harlon Hill Trophy, which is presented annually to the best player in NCAA Division II.

Goebbel’s offense averaged 35.6 points and 445.3 yards per game, led the country in completion percentage (67.9) and was second nationally in red zone offense (90.9 percent).

In 2013, Dominican finished 10-1 and was Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) champions. Goebbel led an offense that was also top 10 nationally and part of a team that made a second-round appearance in the Division II playoffs.

Goebbel directed a high-octane Panther offense in 2012, as ODU finished amongst the nation’s best in scoring offense. The Panthers averaged 40.8 points per game, good for 12th in the country, and ranked 13th nationally in rushing yards (244.9 per game). Ohio Dominican also ranked 27th in total offense, racking up 452.8 yards per game, and the Panthers had the No. 8 offense in passing efficiency (161.0) while allowing just six sacks all season.

Under Goebbel’s tutelage, Ohio Dominican enjoyed its most prolific rushing attack in school history. Running back Mike Noffsinger set the school single-season and career rushing records and was honored as a Hill Trophy candidate in 2011. Jeremy Fudge emerged as one of the top dual-threat quarterbacks in the conference, leading all GLIAC quarterbacks in rushing while also completing over 60 percent of his passes.
Your making the same argument I made about tony Petersen .... only this guy did it in division ll tony did it in the mac, big12, cusa and the big ten conferences....... come on man ..... we lost tony because doc wouldn't give him the OC job.. tony was to good of a QB coach and air it out passing game guy to just let walk away should had offered him... now we r stuck with bills one page playbook...

Thought we had this convo awhile back.... wow you really don't know your stuff..

Trust me. Legg has overseen the QB's since he's been here.

You can think what you want based off titles, but behind the scenes Legg has overseen things since he's been here.

That's false. When Legg first got here, he was the TE coach. Peterson was the QB coach and Geep Wade was the OL Coach.

When Wade and Peterson left, Legg moved to QB coach, we moved Hartley from Safeties coach to TEs and we hired Mirabel.

That's false. When Legg first got here, he was the TE coach. Peterson was the QB coach and Geep Wade was the OL Coach.

When Wade and Peterson left, Legg moved to QB coach, we moved Hartley from Safeties coach to TEs and we hired Mirabel.

Again, titles only mean so much.

When Doc first came here I was still in Huntington and I distinctly remember Peterson not Legg coaching the QBs on the field.

When Doc first came here I was still in Huntington and I distinctly remember Peterson not Legg coaching the QBs on the field.

That's likely true during games because Legg was in the box. I mean, you don't have to believe me. That's fine. I'm ok with it. I'm just saying that if you talk to certain people, they'll tell you otherwise.

The only people that are still here when Peterson was here is Doc, Legg, Gale, and Hamrick.

And with how the program is ran idk if I can believe any of them.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
titles are everything, the reason to why they are given josh...... I guess doc isn't really head coach just a title and some how your really calling the shots that's how you know so much inside info .....

josh almost seem like a Marshall fan that hasn't been a die hard fan for very long... he's very loyal to legg and no one else is... bet he loved Snyder also.....

Reactions: Herd Fever
I'd like to think I'm pretty tapped in considering I have daily conversations with people from within the Shewey Building, athletic department, and Big Green.

Good for you sounds like they even have you brain washed bro..... it's a wonder your hard to talk to...

I wasn't going to say anything but many times during the season you was given false information about things especially any pregame information

I'll let you think so.

It's either they gave you false information or you gave us false information. Or things changed between your Things to look for threads......and when the team showed up at kick off or in the case of Away games, when the team woke up at the hotel on GameDay.

Either you was wrong many of times in your "Things to look for" threads

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT