ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Combs

Dick Ash

Official Roster Geek, Staff Writer
Sep 17, 2002
Huntington
www.blessedfurever.com
H-D beat writer Grant Traylor has an article in today's (1/1/15) Herald-Dispatch looking at the Herd's biggest questions for the 2015 season. In the article Traylor mentions that OL Tyler Combs was cleared to return to practice as the team prepared for the Boca Bowl and that Combs was a 'surprise'. A few days ago Chuck Landon also mentioned Combs as a possible contributor in 2015.

I hadn't mentioned Combs in my roster update article since I had no idea he was practicing. There was no release from Marshall that Combs, Malik Thompson, Jason Smith, Chris Williams-Hall or Chase Litton were practicing.

Combs was a 2012 signee but greyshirted and enrolled on scholarship in the spring semester of 2013 instead of fall 2012. He participated in spring practice in 2013 and redshirted in the 2013 season. I don't recall when Combs was first injured, but he missed 2014 spring practice with an ankle injury. During the fall, word came that his injury was bad enough that he would remain on scholarship but not count against the limit of 85 scholarships. This usually happens when a player's career is over or it's doubtful he'll play again.

If Combs continues to be physically able to practice and play, then he'll need to go back on a 'regular' scholarship. This would happen this spring if Combs is in spring practice. Combs would be a redshirt sophomore in 2015 and also be able to play in 2016 and 2017. If he redshirted in 2013 due to injury, then theoretically he could be a candidate to apply for a 6th season if he would want to play in 2018.

In my article I had 89 potential scholarship players with 26 potential initial counters. Since then we've learned of the return of Combs, the departure of senior safety Corie Wilson and the planned enrollment of safety Demetrius Johnson, a 2014 signee who was not eligible last fall but could be eligible for the spring semester.

If Johnson is eligible, then the roster breakdown is: (scholarship players only)
90 potential scholarship players
27 potential initial counters

45 potential offensive players
4 quarterbacks
8 running backs
13 wide receivers
4 tight ends
16 offensive linemen

42 potential defensive players
9 defensive ends
7 defensive tackles
11 linebackers
9 cornerbacks
6 safeties

3 potential special teams players
1 kicker
1 punter
1 long snapper

19 potential seniors
18 potential juniors
22 potential sophomores
31 potential freshmen

This post was edited on 1/1 3:14 PM by DA4Dherd

H-D: Can the Herd Stay Hot in 2015?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.