ADVERTISEMENT

UK doctor strike

The current average resident salary in Ohio is over $55,000. US average is $57,000.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Health care (and applies to many others). Pick two of three.

1. Quick/efficient
2. Low cost
3. High Quality
I’m confused as to which of those two you think we have, because we’re worst in the world by a lot at #2 and if you look at health outcomes we’re pretty god-awful at 3 as well, compared to other industrialized nations.

I’m confused as to which of those two you think we have, because we’re worst in the world by a lot at #2 and if you look at health outcomes we’re pretty god-awful at 3 as well, compared to other industrialized nations.

It depends on what segment of the population, obviously.

But for speed we can't be matched. For mid to upper class quality is good.
Stage for stage cancer outcomes in the US are superior to everywhere else.

You try getting a hip replaced in Canada or getting your cardiac ablation...massive wait times as compared to US.

A lot of the comparative "health care" data reflects problems with suicide, gun violence, obesity, and awful diet/exercise more than actual health care.

Make no mistake - we have a lot of problems with health care. A lot. I have no clue how to fix it. A lot of perverse incentives and a lot of blame to go arond between insurers, we don't negotiate drug prices , huge hospital systems price gouging (the ugly secret is large academic centers buy up competitors to jack up prices for same services....compare an MRI at Stanford vs. an MRI at a free standing MRI center)...

Assuming you have insurance with an out of pocket cap....is there somewhere else in the world other than the US you'd rather be treated?

I know what I would do/want.

No wonder why more people are taking advantage of medical tourism, and that will become more pronounced as time goes on when the age-in qualification for Medicare is raised to 67.

Yet another ignorant post.

It depends on what segment of the population, obviously.

But for speed we can't be matched. For mid to upper class quality is good.
Stage for stage cancer outcomes in the US are superior to everywhere else.

You try getting a hip replaced in Canada or getting your cardiac ablation...massive wait times as compared to US.

A lot of the comparative "health care" data reflects problems with suicide, gun violence, obesity, and awful diet/exercise more than actual health care.

Make no mistake - we have a lot of problems with health care. A lot. I have no clue how to fix it. A lot of perverse incentives and a lot of blame to go arond between insurers, we don't negotiate drug prices , huge hospital systems price gouging (the ugly secret is large academic centers buy up competitors to jack up prices for same services....compare an MRI at Stanford vs. an MRI at a free standing MRI center)...
I’ve been saying it for a while. The problem with “costs” is the hospital/medical systems and states that have a CON permitting which limit competition. Add to that the Fed govt which encourages hospital over billing (covid), Medicare reimbursement that drives every commercial payors prices higher for covered lives.

Even with all that…No way I would want to get sick anywhere else. Western Europe healthcare is disastrous. Heart issue that requires immediate attention in Canada???good luck. If we didn’t have health insurance companies in the US, the “higher costs” would not be limited to payments or bills.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT