ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL GAME THREAD Va Tech

Yeah it’s a far cry away from how Huff talked when he got here.

Anyway, we didn’t bury it, but we didn’t choke.

We played good complimentary football. When the Defense was struggling the offense put some drives together. And when the offense shut down the defense made enough plays.

This team has a chance to be special if they put it all together. I’m afraid we’re a QB away though.
I've been saying that since the beginning of the season. We have talent. We just aren't all that consistent. If we can gel everything together we'd be set. Looking back a lot of Huff's comments when he first came here can be summed up to him being a new, young head coach. I remember him talking about wanting to implement more of a passing game, that he wanted to recruit more locally and in the DC and Virginia area, and that he wants us to be the team no one else wants to play. A lot of those plans have fallen short but that probably has more to do with him counting his eggs before they hatch which I see is something that a lot of young coaches probably struggle with, especially if it's their first gig.

Why was my post deleted?
excuse me what GIF

Great team win. Gotta find an accurate kicker. Fancher can make the long throws, but can’t hit a wide open guy in the flat. Our right tackle, #51, tips if the play is a run or a pass 90% of the time…if you don’t believe me, go back and watch his right leg pre-snap.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Let's try this again, since the whiney b!tches who complain about every little coaching decision think it's fine to call our own coach an "idiot" and that his brother "sucks," but then deletes posts where those people are called "morons":
------------------------

Morons. All of you.

You all who are complaining about the play-calling later in the game are the first ones who would be crying if we threw an INT. You'd all be saying that he already threw two within the first three quarters, so we should have just put the ball in the hands of our best player, which is what we did.

Trickett's issue isn't play-calling. He actually does a solid job of getting us into plays that our guys can execute while avoiding putting them in situations where they will fail. His issue isn't play-calling. It's development, just like it was at his last stop.

If you aren't a good recruiter and you don't do a good job developing your guys, you're stuck with a small menu from which you can call plays.

Tricketts an idiot. His brother sucks at Coastal as well.
You're a moron. His brother is a solid OC who is a good guy.

Reactions: raleighherdfan
Let's try this again, since the whiney b!tches who complain about every little coaching decision think it's fine to call our own coach an "idiot" and that his brother "sucks," but then deletes posts where those people are called "morons":
------------------------

Morons. All of you.

You all who are complaining about the play-calling later in the game are the first ones who would be crying if we threw an INT. You'd all be saying that he already threw two within the first three quarters, so we should have just put the ball in the hands of our best player, which is what we did.

Trickett's issue isn't play-calling. He actually does a solid job of getting us into plays that our guys can execute while avoiding putting them in situations where they will fail. His issue isn't play-calling. It's development, just like it was at his last stop.

If you aren't a good recruiter and you don't do a good job developing your guys, you're stuck with a small menu from which you can call plays.

You're a moron. His brother is a solid OC who is a good guy.
You know, your reply made me realize I stooped to your level with my post by calling someone a name. Thanks and that's a damn shame I sunk that far.

Reactions: 19MU88 and Marc22
You know, your reply made me realize I stooped to your level with my post by calling someone a name. Thanks and that's a damn shame I sunk that far.
I've already taught you one lesson, so let me teach you one more: I don't call people names unabatedly. I do it after they have done that to others and/or me, like I did in this case with you.

So rifle, I can’t possible match your football knowledge, but just make observations based on decades of sitting in the stands. With that said, I noticed all day that VT generally played the whole game with 9 players within 3 yards of the LOS on defense, with the safeties being only 7-8 yards deep pre-snap.

Fortunately, that meant once Ali cleared the LBers there was a ton of open space. Unfortunately it meant that didn’t happen much with 5-6 guys trying to block 7-8 guys up front.

Given the disparity in numbers, and having heard commentators say the weak spot in such a defense is the middle, splitting the safeties, should I have expected to see a few calls where we at least feigned a skinny post or something to keep the safeties from coming downhill so aggressively?

Oh I don't know maybe because you're an asshole? Or maybe a moron (your favorite word) and everyone on this forum is tired of your pompous captain keyboard bull-shit. Either way who knows and honestly who cares.
“Bullshit” shouldn’t be hyphenated, tubby.

Would you also like to whine about Marshall’s play calling in their win against a P5 team when their play calling not only made sense but also worked?

“Bullshit” shouldn’t be hyphenated, tubby.

Would you also like to whine about Marshall’s play calling in their win against a P5 team when their play calling not only made sense but also worked?
I hyphenated it in an effort to get it by the moderator police. Yes, Marshall was very fortunate due to Virginia Tech's undisciplined play in their last series to have not lost or gone to OT.

For the record you provide incredible insight, however calling those who might have a different opinion "morons" is bullshit.

Reactions: 19MU88
For the record you provide incredible insight, however calling those who might have a different opinion "morons" is bullshit.
As I mentioned, I don't call people that without them having done it first. We had multiple people in this thread call coaches names like "idiot" and "sucks." Calling them "morons," in return, is fair.

We went 98yards on a P5 team, Punch it in and we go up 24 - 10 with like 7:20 left in the 3rd, House was rockin, VT was scrambling to figure us out, TV commentators actually start talking about this Marshall team instead of VT. Then we go completely stupid and can’t hardly even sniff a first down for like the next 5 series, took the crowed out of it and allowed VT an opportunity. we are very lucky our Defense is conditioned.

Bill legg must still be influencing our play calling, it did look a lot like the Doc Days of trying not to lose.

Hey we are winning, just sit on it and we should win..

Hey Trick Daddy how about you put your foot on the gas and end the game, not leaving a chance for the other team!

OK - let’s give Professor Rifle a chance to weigh in on Chuck’s key to our win yesterday:
(from this morning’s electronic version)
Chuck Landon:
Well, as it turns out, there was an unknown key to that refusal, that outlook, that attitude. And interestingly enough, it occurred during the week leading up to the Virginia Tech game. That’s when veteran offensive line coach Bill Legg shuffled and reshuffled Marshall's O-line like a deck of cards.
The original O-line featured Ethan Driskell at left tackle, Altrique Barlow at left guard, Trent Holler at center, Logan Osburn at right guard and Dalton Tucker at right tackle. But all that changed during the week of the Virginia Tech game.
The only offensive lineman who remained in his usual spot was the 6-foot-9, 329-pound Driskell.

Otherwise?
Everybody moved to different positions.
Holler moved from center to left guard. Osborne moved from right guard to center. Tucker switched from right tackle to right guard. And Lloyd Willis, a transfer from Florida State, who is a 6-7, 305-pound junior, moved into the starting lineup at right tackle.
Legg’s coaching moves seemed to bring some synergy to Marshall’s front.
Rifle?

I've been saying that since the beginning of the season. We have talent. We just aren't all that consistent. If we can gel everything together we'd be set. Looking back a lot of Huff's comments when he first came here can be summed up to him being a new, young head coach. I remember him talking about wanting to implement more of a passing game, that he wanted to recruit more locally and in the DC and Virginia area, and that he wants us to be the team no one else wants to play. A lot of those plans have fallen short but that probably has more to do with him counting his eggs before they hatch which I see is something that a lot of young coaches probably struggle with, especially if it's their first gig.
I am happy about the 3-0 start, but we haven't beaten anyone yet. ECU and VT are combined 1-6 vs FBS opponents. We should beat ODU and the tough stretch of our schedule is NCST ((3-1), GAST (4-0) and JMU (4-0). If we can make it thru, I like our chances vs. Coastal and App.

We still need to find a passing game that can throw the ball downfield. Francher doesn't see to be getting any better vs. FBS teams than this year so far - still 55% comp%, less than 200 yards/game, and more INTs than TDs.

I am happy about the 3-0 start, but we haven't beaten anyone yet. ECU and VT are combined 1-6 vs FBS opponents. We should beat ODU and the tough stretch of our schedule is NCST ((3-1), GAST (4-0) and JMU (4-0). If we can make it thru, I like our chances vs. Coastal and App.

We still need to find a passing game that can throw the ball downfield. Francher doesn't see to be getting any better vs. FBS teams than this year so far - still 55% comp%, less than 200 yards/game, and more INTs than TDs.
……..and yet, with all of those negatives, he’s like 9-1 as our starter, and 8 wins in a row. Who wants to deconstruct that stat?

Last edited:
Reactions: raleighherdfan
……..and yet, with all of those negatives, he’s like 8-1 as our starter, and 8 wins in a row. Who wants to deconstruct that stat?
It is not negative, just a reality. Your comment indicates that he is the reason we are 8-1, not our defense and running game. Our QB is a convenient benefactor of running an offense that doesn't require us to throw the ball down the field effectively. Go Herd!

……..and yet, with all of those negatives, he’s like 9-1 as our starter, and 8 wins in a row. Who wants to deconstruct that stat?

Trent Dilfer won a SuperBowl.

Over the past 10+ games we have had an elite defense and elite RBs. All we have asked of Fancher is to not lose games. His benefit is the ability to pick up occasional first downs with his feet. He will likely never bring us back from a big deficit if the D has a bad day and I believe we will not beat JMU who nobody can run against, but can be passed on.

OK - let’s give Professor Rifle a chance to weigh in on Chuck’s key to our win yesterday:
(from this morning’s electronic version)
Chuck Landon:
Well, as it turns out, there was an unknown key to that refusal, that outlook, that attitude. And interestingly enough, it occurred during the week leading up to the Virginia Tech game. That’s when veteran offensive line coach Bill Legg shuffled and reshuffled Marshall's O-line like a deck of cards.
The original O-line featured Ethan Driskell at left tackle, Altrique Barlow at left guard, Trent Holler at center, Logan Osburn at right guard and Dalton Tucker at right tackle. But all that changed during the week of the Virginia Tech game.
The only offensive lineman who remained in his usual spot was the 6-foot-9, 329-pound Driskell.

Otherwise?
Everybody moved to different positions.
Holler moved from center to left guard. Osborne moved from right guard to center. Tucker switched from right tackle to right guard. And Lloyd Willis, a transfer from Florida State, who is a 6-7, 305-pound junior, moved into the starting lineup at right tackle.
Legg’s coaching moves seemed to bring some synergy to Marshall’s front.
Rifle?
I was at the game and picked up on Willis tipping either a run or pass play right off the bat. He can’t do that vs better teams. Also, take away Ali’s 2 long runs and and he had a little over 2 yards per carry. Good win, don’t get me wrong, but we can be even better.@JudgeDD Did you watch it by chance?

I was at the game and picked up on Willis tipping either a run or pass play right off the bat. He can’t do that vs better teams. Also, take away Ali’s 2 long runs and and he had a little over 2 yards per carry. Good win, don’t get me wrong, but we can be even better.@JudgeDD Did you watch it by chance?
For those (me) who didn’t catch Willis’ “tell” - what is he doing that gives it away?

For those (me) who didn’t catch Willis’ “tell” - what is he doing that gives it away?
He drops his right leg back and positions his hands to pass block before the play starts for pass plays. On run plays, he brings his right leg more underneath him….watch it and see. You can identify either run or pass about 90% of the time based off of that.

You do realize that football is a team sport right? You are only as strong as your weakest link.

Reactions: Jartard
He drops his right leg back and positions his hands to pass block before the play starts for pass plays. On run plays, he brings his right leg more underneath him….watch it and see. You can identify either run or pass about 90% of the time based off of that.
Dang, never noticed. Will have to check that out. A long time ago in HS we had a beast RB that we had to play against every year. He was on a rival team. He would always rub his hands together and shake his head before every running play. So we knew it was a run, BUT didn't matter. Lmao, he still smoked us

Saw an interview with Andre Agassi. He talked about his ability to return serve on Boris Becker when he was dominating everyone else with it. Said he picked up the fact that if Becker was serving middle his tongue would poke out in the middle of his mouth and if he was serving wide it would poke out the corner. He used that tell against him for years and finally told him about it after they retired.

It blew Becker’s mind. He said he had told his wife that he thought Agassi was a witch because it seemed he always knew what was coming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT