ADVERTISEMENT

Venture Capital

riflearm2

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2004
Any of you deplorables who work in banking well versed in VC?

Background: Partner and I own the majority of a company. We have two other partners who, combined, own 15% currently. They are brothers and very successful in their other endeavors. A year ago, we brought them on board as investors/partners. We didn't need the money, but one of them owns five auto dealerships and the other is well connected, so we knew by allowing them to invest/become partners, we'd quickly grow our company based on the auto dealerships jumping on board.

In return for their investment (and more for their dealerships becoming big clients), we gave each of them 7.5%. However, if we were to ever hit $XM in revenue, they'd each get 30%, thus us losing our control. We regret that a bit, but we never thought we'd have as much success as fast as we did or think it would grow this much. Our market has grown to include big credit unions/banks/finance firms, and the growth possibility is now much bigger with those lenders jumping on board.

The brothers are pushing for us to do a series A with venture capitalists. Their concern is 1) a huge company will dump a hundred million into a company, copycat our program, and spread quickly across the country beating us to the market. 2) they want to grow as fast as possible and think our revenue can grow to $100M-$150M, at which point, they will want to sell. We'd want to sell far sooner than that. So they think getting a VC to jump on board for even a few million is worthwhile. I don't think it is needed, but I'm a lot more conservative business-wise than they are.

Their argument is that due to our operating agreement, VCs will be turned off due to the uncertainty of who has how many shares. I think we are three years away from hitting the threshold to where their equity jumps up to 30% each. Their offer is to cut their shares to 25% each (meaning they have 50% and we have 50%) if we agree to do a series A. By doing that, they argue that a VC wouldn't have to worry about any change in shares once we hit the revenue threshold. The operating agreement wouldn't be confusing to them, and they'd know exactly how much they'd get regardless of reaching a certain revenue.

I think they just want control (or at least take away our control) immediately instead of waiting a few years to see if we reach that threshold. Does their argument make sense? Would an operating agreement like that turn us off to VCs? A friend in Park City works for a VC, and she is meeting with me along with her CEO - all bright, Ivy grads whom I trust, but they are in real estate investing, so they may think a bit differently.

Imo both your and your partners positions/opinions are valid. However, not knowing exactly the biz you’re in and all the VCs that operate in that sector, I think it depends greatly on the specific criteria and strategy (return, timeframe, leverage etc)the VC firm uses for cashing out their investment. Different VCs (there are countless) use different strategies and metrics for their end game/return.

The perfect scenario would be matching your “long” term goals for cashing out to the VCs “long“ term strategy. That should be clearly spelled out in any offering agreement so that sole focus on operating and growing the business is the focus during the term you’ve agreed to.

It also sounds like your goals for cashing out may ultimately be a little different than your partners too. Better get that ironed out.

Reactions: johns1124

Background: Partner and I own the majority of a company. We have two other partners who, combined, own 15% currently. They are brothers and very successful in their other endeavors. A year ago, we brought them on board as investors/partners. We didn't need the money, but one of them owns five auto dealerships and the other is well connected, so we knew by allowing them to invest/become partners, we'd quickly grow our company based on the auto dealerships jumping on board.

In return for their investment (and more for their dealerships becoming big clients), we gave each of them 7.5%. However, if we were to ever hit $XM in revenue, they'd each get 30%, thus us losing our control. We regret that a bit, but we never thought we'd have as much success as fast as we did or think it would grow this much. Our market has grown to include big credit unions/banks/finance firms, and the growth possibility is now much bigger with those lenders jumping on board.

The brothers are pushing for us to do a series A with venture capitalists. Their concern is 1) a huge company will dump a hundred million into a company, copycat our program, and spread quickly across the country beating us to the market. 2) they want to grow as fast as possible and think our revenue can grow to $100M-$150M, at which point, they will want to sell. We'd want to sell far sooner than that. So they think getting a VC to jump on board for even a few million is worthwhile. I don't think it is needed, but I'm a lot more conservative business-wise than they are.

Their argument is that due to our operating agreement, VCs will be turned off due to the uncertainty of who has how many shares. I think we are three years away from hitting the threshold to where their equity jumps up to 30% each. Their offer is to cut their shares to 25% each (meaning they have 50% and we have 50%) if we agree to do a series A. By doing that, they argue that a VC wouldn't have to worry about any change in shares once we hit the revenue threshold. The operating agreement wouldn't be confusing to them, and they'd know exactly how much they'd get regardless of reaching a certain revenue.

I think they just want control (or at least take away our control) immediately instead of waiting a few years to see if we reach that threshold. Does their argument make sense? Would an operating agreement like that turn us off to VCs? A friend in Park City works for a VC, and she is meeting with me along with her CEO - all bright, Ivy grads whom I trust, but they are in real estate investing, so they may think a bit differently.

I’m not an expert in this matter, so I will punt. However, many banks have Wealth divisions that will help review partnership agreements, and help make determinations on what is in the best interest of everybody. For instance, you could put a key man insurance policy in place, or golden handcuffs, if you know what that is, which would provide a financial windfall for several of you.

Don’t take this as a slight because it’s not intended to be, but the initial deal you cut with these guys already shows you were overmatched in the negotiations and it shows they aren’t looking for a win-win.

While I realize that the deal allowed you to expand rapidly, it came at a very high cost.

So my advice would be to view their every suggestion as being solely in their best interest, not the best interest of the partnership. Get a good corporate attorney that has specific knowledge of VC transactions and listen to them. An alternative would be to have them buy you out now, take an employment agreement, and structure a success fee you would receive when they sell the company. You’re just going to end up working for them anyway (when they get a controlling interest) so why delay it? The offer to reduce their position to 50-50 is a smoke screen because the VC will want a percentage, so they will then just partner with the VC to have controlling interest.

I have read some similar concerns/threads on a private investing message board I infrequently view. There is a non-disclosure on the board and must get "permission" to get access first... and they typically just discuss private equity real estate like multi family residential real estate and other non-stock deals (music royalty funds, bitcoin mining operations, life settlement funds, litigation funds, self storage funds). If you want to try to get access there it's not like it's super exclusive (I think there are like 3,500 "members").

I don’t post there but some knowledge abounds there. It’s not VC heavy but someone there may be able to point you in a better direction.

Only an insecure fool would be asking these type of questions on a Marshall University sports site. But then again you so crave recognition and attention that you do things like this. You need to go back to your safe space and concentrate on reducing your carbon footprint, and also don’t forget, Durham knows!

Only an insecure fool would be asking these type of questions on a Marshall University sports site. But then again you so crave recognition and attention that you do things like this. You need to go back to your safe space and concentrate on reducing your carbon footprint, and also don’t forget, Durham knows!
How is this an example of him being insecure? This board has posters with a wide range of knowledge and expertise.

Reactions: -CarlHungus-

One of the two brothers in the above story . . . I referenced him in the two posts below where I called him a piece of shit, etc.

In early 2021, I had words with him after he continued posting antagonistic and bogus bullshit on his Instagram. He's a die-hard trumper. We had just hired his friend (unbeknownst to me and greatly downplayed to my other partner) to be our CEO, who tried intervening in our dispute. I told both my piece-of-shit partner and the CEO we just hired what I thought of him as a person, warned multiple people about the dangers of being in business with him, and we haven't talked since.

This morning, he was arrested by the FBI for what will end up being some very serious financial/fraud charges. The guy has a $6 million main residence, had high-end luxury vehicles, got his start with scam real estate deals, and have been defrauding investors for years all while spewing trumpisms on social media. He has seven children all under the age of 16 who are now going to lose their lifestyle and their father for a number of years (the wife left him months ago with the children).

Another piece-of-shit deplorable goes down.

One of the two brothers in the above story . . . I referenced him in the two posts below where I called him a piece of shit, etc.

In early 2021, I had words with him after he continued posting antagonistic and bogus bullshit on his Instagram. He's a die-hard trumper. We had just hired his friend (unbeknownst to me and greatly downplayed to my other partner) to be our CEO, who tried intervening in our dispute. I told both my piece-of-shit partner and the CEO we just hired what I thought of him as a person, warned multiple people about the dangers of being in business with him, and we haven't talked since.

This morning, he was arrested by the FBI for what will end up being some very serious financial/fraud charges. The guy has a $6 million main residence, had high-end luxury vehicles, got his start with scam real estate deals, and have been defrauding investors for years all while spewing trumpisms on social media. He has seven children all under the age of 16 who are now going to lose their lifestyle and their father for a number of years (the wife left him months ago with the children).

Another piece-of-shit deplorable goes down.
You were business partners with him? Might want to get a lawyer and not anser the door if you hear a knock.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT