ADVERTISEMENT

Veterans Day

I'm watching Band of Brothers. One of the main characters, Litton, played by Donnie Wahlberg, is from Huntington. He was an enlisted man that was promoted to 1st SGT (as an E7 I believe), and eventually to the officer corps, 2LT, before the end of their campaign.

Hell of a story. I've always meant to look him up and see if he's buried locally.

WV has produced some absolute legends in the military community.

I'm watching Band of Brothers. One of the main characters, Litton, played by Donnie Wahlberg, is from Huntington. He was an enlisted man that was promoted to 1st SGT (as an E7 I believe), and eventually to the officer corps, 2LT, before the end of their campaign.

Hell of a story. I've always meant to look him up and see if he's buried locally.

The book is really good as well

I've not watched it, but have wanted to see it.

Yes, we have produced some legends in the military community.

Yes, we have produced some legends in the military community.

Every state has an honored soldier. I forget what the official term is, but its heroic dudes from each state. Most bases have a wall that depicts them. A close friend of mine holds that title for WV. He's an SF dude that spent most of his life in 5th Group. He also taught small unit tactics in the Q course and has a chapter in a book called the Voices of Iraq.

Dave is from Montgomery, right past Charleston going east. That town has one red light and a population of 500. One of the most dangerous dudes alive, and he comes from nowhere.

Do they really like this though? I mean being fawned over. If I was in the military, I would not like it. I wouldn't like it even now with whatever job I have. Don't want any fawning.

I see these guys at ballgames, real old guys at Reds games, being honored over the PA system for their service. Can you imagine that? I always think the real badasses in the military would not want a thing to do with that.

Reactions: Jartard
Do they really like this though? I mean being fawned over. If I was in the military, I would not like it. I wouldn't like it even now with whatever job I have. Don't want any fawning.

I see these guys at ballgames, real old guys at Reds games, being honored over the PA system for their service. Can you imagine that? I always think the real badasses in the military would not want a thing to do with that.
You could be right, but I'd also say you are probably one of the least likely individuals to know about a soldiers way of thinking.

HB is a 1 star, he retired from a lifetime in SF not long ago. He's from Louisville but moved to Huntington. In Selection, during the star course, right before he hit his last check point he found a creek and decided to soak his feet in it. He knew he had enough time left on the clock to do it. When he was good and ready he got up, rucked up, and walked to the check point in bare feet because he didn't want to put wet feet in boots.

The Cadre saw him come in and just laughed. They still tell the story of a WV boy doing the entire star course in bare feet.

Fvcking legend.

You could be right, but I'd also say you are probably one of the least likely individuals to know about a soldiers way of thinking.

Why? Someone here at work used to call me the soldier. I've soldiered through a hell of a lot of shit, but I'd have never made it a day in the military.

Putting up with being screamed at by some prick? I would have broke on that. I broke here on just some woman talking to me real loud, but still I soldier on. Even though I really don't want to.

Harvey lives in Kingwood. He's one of the early members of CAG (delta force). He's probably in his upper 60s now, but is still a badass. He runs the selection course for CAG. It's similar to the star course at Bragg, just a fvck ton longer and harder. At Bragg you have known distance and time hacks. Students and point sitters do not know it for CAG selection. The last leg is rumored to be 40 miles, but time is still a mystery. The way CAG works, purposefully, is that only 3 people in the world know time and distance for each leg. Harvey is one of them.

Fvcking legend.

He was indeed buried in Huntington. He attended Marshall after the war.

Dave accepts it but doesn't give a shit. He has a saying that I adopted, "I've done more than some but not nearly as much as others."

But that state hero thing isn't like Woody Williams. There's a plaque on a wall on most bases and training sites, that's it. No parade requirements and public appearances like Woody.

Is Woody Woodrum still around?

Hell of a character, he was. Or is. I haven't seen his name in the paper so I'm not sure.

Carwood Lipton and the guys from that unit were really interesting figures. Major Dick Winters was a legendary figure.

The one scene where they take out the German artillery is still taught in small unit tactics to infantry officers today.

He's alive. Just had a fall and hip injury. He wasn't able to participate in anything today. He has to be one of the few WWII vets still alive.

He literally torched nazis.

Fvcking legend.
He torched Japs, he was on Iwo Jima

your buddy that was in Delta Force, he must have served with Richard Marcinko, the Rogue Warrior! His first book was one I couldn’t put down!

Dave accepts it but doesn't give a shit. He has a saying that I adopted, "I've done more than some but not nearly as much as others."

But that state hero thing isn't like Woody Williams. There's a plaque on a wall on most bases and training sites, that's it. No parade requirements and public appearances like Woody.
Those CAG dudes are on a different planet that most any other people. Glad they are on our side

He torched Japs, he was on Iwo Jima

your buddy that was in Delta Force, he must have served with Richard Marcinko, the Rogue Warrior! His first book was one I couldn’t put down!

Marcinko was a SEAL, not CAG. He formed DevGru, SEAL team 6, the navy version of CAG. Both are direct action, meaning counter terrorism.

That was a good book, I read it as a teenager.

I have absolutely zero respect for the SEAL community. The entire SOF community feels the same. CAG refuses to work with DevGru. Physically, they are impressive. Otherwise, they're a shit show. They can't land nav for shit. We had our convoy cell rescue SEALs multiple times in Iraq because they got lost. A convoy cell is made up of SF support personnel, mechanics, cooks, commo guys. SEALs murdered an SF guy because he caught them stealing opfunds (cash). SEALs fragged CAG dudes on a raid, they fragged the very person they tried to rescue on a different raid. An entire SEAL team (7) was sent home after only a month or so in country because of misconduct. That's a career ending directive.

SEALs believe their own legend once they're awarded the trident. And they can't wait to get a book deal.

I was apart of an op that killed an HVT in 06. SEALs were credited for the op but all they did was dig out bombed out rubble around an already dead guy and recover the body.

That's how it goes. SOF let's SEALs get credit for ops they don't do. That's why you don't know/hear shit about CAG, or 5th Group, or any DI team in any company of any group. It's purposeful misdirection.

And Robert O'Neal, he's full of shit too. He put a few bullets in OBLs body but OBL was dead as fvck before he got to the top of the stairwell. He got a good book deal and reoccuring spots on cable news though.

6de586de7b43db083de9c474f0e979a6--hiring-veterans-veterans-day.jpg

Marcinko was a SEAL, not CAG. He formed DevGru, SEAL team 6, the navy version of CAG. Both are direct action, meaning counter terrorism.

That was a good book, I read it as a teenager.

I have absolutely zero respect for the SEAL community. The entire SOF community feels the same. CAG refuses to work with DevGru. Physically, they are impressive. Otherwise, they're a shit show. They can't land nav for shit. We had our convoy cell rescue SEALs multiple times in Iraq because they got lost. A convoy cell is made up of SF support personnel, mechanics, cooks, commo guys. SEALs murdered an SF guy because he caught them stealing opfunds (cash). SEALs fragged CAG dudes on a raid, they fragged the very person they tried to rescue on a different raid. An entire SEAL team (7) was sent home after only a month or so in country because of misconduct. That's a career ending directive.

SEALs believe their own legend once they're awarded the trident. And they can't wait to get a book deal.

I was apart of an op that killed an HVT in 06. SEALs were credited for the op but all they did was dig out bombed out rubble around an already dead guy and recover the body.

That's how it goes. SOF let's SEALs get credit for ops they don't do. That's why you don't know/hear shit about CAG, or 5th Group, or any DI team in any company of any group. It's purposeful misdirection.

And Robert O'Neal, he's full of shit too. He put a few bullets in OBLs body but OBL was dead as fvck before he got to the top of the stairwell. He got a good book deal and reoccuring spots on cable news though.
When my son was in high school playing football they had a guy come from the Seals who was on that raid, don't remember his name. Maybe a couple of years after the raid. He said he killed OBL. It wasn't Oneal. He claimed the same thing. He was supposed to be a motivational speaker. I think he was on a book tour.

I'm shocked at this news. Fvcking shocked.
I am wondering if it was that dude who had to give back 7 million? Might have been. The guy had a book out and told the boys(at the time) he shot OBL. I remember the coach got in some trouble because this guy came and spoke and they invited the principal and some staff and the team had like a booster club mom group that fed them before the meals and such and church that sponsored team meals and this guy dropped F bombs and GD's right and left in front of the staff, church people including a preacher, team women's group. hahaha. Humble was not in this guys wheel house from what I heard. He told them he shot OBL.

As I know it, 2 dudes shot OBL. O'Neil was the 3rd. Maybe there's some BS about who's bullet actually sent him to Allah, but he was perforated liberally before O'Neil got the chance. Then the entire team emptied mags into the body. There are probably 20 year old kids in BUDS right now who will someday claim to have killed OBL. Worthless fvcks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT