ADVERTISEMENT

Want to know what authoritarianism looks like?

This is being blown up into something it isn’t.

What the bill would do is make it so any new leases in state owned storefronts, mainly in rest stops and airports and the like, be open 7 days.

It wouldn’t impact existing leases so CFAs that are already in places would stay and would still close Sundays. It also wouldn’t impact anything that isn’t in a state owned storefront.

The reasoning makes sense to me. The places operating in these locations are providing a needed service, and if everybody decides to be shut down on a day of the week it’ll be a problem that you don’t have in a city where there are a lot more food options, and a lot fewer people who need to grab something quickly.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU

What the bill would do is make it so any new leases in state owned storefronts, mainly in rest stops and airports and the like, be open 7 days.

It wouldn’t impact existing leases so CFAs that are already in places would stay and would still close Sundays. It also wouldn’t impact anything that isn’t in a state owned storefront.

The reasoning makes sense to me. The places operating in these locations are providing a needed service, and if everybody decides to be shut down on a day of the week it’ll be a problem that you don’t have in a city where there are a lot more food options, and a lot fewer people who need to grab something quickly.
Well good. I still don't think the government should be telling business owners when they can and can't be open. Government overreach at its best.

Well good. I still don't think the government should be telling business owners when they can and can't be open. Government overreach at its best.
Even when the government owns the place they are leasing out? If I have a criticism of the bill it’s that it seems unnecessary, since couldn’t they just make it a requirement in the lease?

Even when the government owns the place they are leasing out? If I have a criticism of the bill it’s that it seems unnecessary, since couldn’t they just make it a requirement in the lease?
Even so. The government shouldn't have its hands in the private market's business. Landlords can't tell their renters, when and when they can't have visitors.

Tenants can't change the property, but the business is theirs.

No. The government shouldn't be telling businesses how the can or can't operate...Even if the government owns the property.

Reactions: ThunderCat98

How is it being "blown out of proportion"? It's the government trying to restrict a private business for a ridiculous reason. 99% of chain restaurants don't close on Sundays, making this a targeted provision. What's more, at least one of the bill's sponsors has made statements indicating the actual reasoning is Chik-fil-A's "terrible record on LGBT rights." So not only is it an impermissible restriction, it's retaliatory by the legislature because they don't like the company's belief system. Of course the AP article doesn't reference those comments. Weird. Wonder why?🙄

Reactions: KyMUfan
I saw where New York has lost more population than any other state in the last year(I believe). No wonder. Expensive, too many controle measures, high crime in the city, and just dowright miserable leaders. I believe they have lost 100,000 or so in a year. Plus that has happened for the last three years. At the current pace, within 7 years they will have lost a million people.

This is just another example of why.

Reactions: GeauxHerd
My issue is the state knew about CFA’s Sunday policy when they granted them retail space. What has changed?
This I don’t get, unless for whatever reason they couldn’t take that into consideration when agreeing to lease the space to them. And like I said, I don’t get why they need a law and won’t just agree internally not to lease out the spaces to places that won’t be open 7 days.

So to anyone saying this is performative nonsense you’re probably right unless they were restricted from taking that into consideration before, which I doubt.

Cool. But government shouldn't have its hands in it.
If you say government shouldn't be in the landlord business, I might agree with you (although there are times it is beneficial, like industrial park development in shitty economic areas).

But you were still dead wrong about commercial landlords and operation hours, it's rather normal stuff.

And this sort of public-private partnership would seem to fall under the conservative umbrella. Jesus Chicken can more efficiently provide this rest stop service than the government. Me, all I want in a rest area is a clean place to take a dump in. I highly recommend the Illinois rest area on I-64 West on the Indiana border.

If you say government shouldn't be in the landlord business, I might agree with you (although there are times it is beneficial, like industrial park development in shitty economic areas).

But you were still dead wrong about commercial landlords and operation hours, it's rather normal stuff.

And this sort of public-private partnership would seem to fall under the conservative umbrella. Jesus Chicken can more efficiently provide this rest stop service than the government. Me, all I want in a rest area is a clean place to take a dump in. I highly recommend the Illinois rest area on I-64 West on the Indiana border.
Government is changing the rules after its lease.

So it isn't open on Sunday? Who cares, but a controlling government?

EVERYONE knows Chik-fil-a is closed on Sundays and respects this about Chik-fil-a. I feel it's an attack on religion.

Government is changing the rules after its lease.

So it isn't open on Sunday? Who cares, but a controlling government?

EVERYONE knows Chik-fil-a is closed on Sundays and respects this about Chik-fil-a. I feel it's an attack on religion.
Current leases won’t be impacted though.

Landlords are able to control days and hours of operation in a commercial lease. However, this looks to be purely a punitive effort by another govt hack wanting a headline. Does anyone really believe these politicians give a damn if someone can access a chicken sandwich on sunday?

Reactions: 30CAT
Notice everyone is ignoring the fact that the stated purpose of the law - which is arguably permissible - is wholly different than the actual purpose, which is sticking it to Chik-fil-A by preventing them from opening any additional outlets because they don't like their politics.

Notice everyone is ignoring the fact that the stated purpose of the law - which is arguably permissible - is wholly different than the actual purpose, which is sticking it to Chik-fil-A by preventing them from opening any additional outlets because they don't like their politics.
A fair assessment and criticism but one of the things being overblown is that they aren’t being prevented from opening “any additional outlets,” just in government owned spaces like airports.

A fair assessment and criticism but one of the things being overblown is that they aren’t being prevented from opening “any additional outlets,” just in government owned spaces like airports.
One would think an attorney would understand this.

Does anyone really believe these politicians give a damn if someone can access a chicken sandwich on sunday?
I dunno, some of that lemonade might be nice at 3 AM, can they make it 24/7?

One would think an attorney would understand this.
One would think that is a given and didn't need restated since that's the enitre issue, but I guess you two morons need it spelled out in every post in order to keep you focused? Sounds about right. Divs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT