ADVERTISEMENT

Washington backup QB

I'm hopeful, but can't help but get that, "here we go again" feeling when seeing a QB come to us from a big name program.

We make the rightful assumption that this guy must be good or else they never would have made it on the team only to find out there's a reason they flew under the radar, having limited playing time. Likewise, also a reason they ended up at Marshall.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I'm hopeful, but can't help but get that, "here we go again" feeling when seeing a QB come to us from a big name program.

We make the rightful assumption that this guy must be good or else they never would have made it on the team only to find out there's a reason they flew under the radar, having limited playing time. Likewise, also a reason they ended up at Marshall.

How good are you when the guy ahead of you is Pennix Jr?!
(I also agree, he should've won the Heisman).
The Rock was on that amazing Miami Hurricanes team, how good was he? No idea since Warren Sapp started ahead of him.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU

I get it. But, I'd contend Morris has a much different profile than McMahon and Colombi.

First of all, McMahon came from Rice and was simply unable to play this year because of a shoulder injury. A healthy McMahon plays over Cole, IMHO.

Colombi was never a full-time starter at Nevada or Texas Tech. That showed during his time at MU. Very up and down.

Morris started every game for UW in 2021 and faced some powerhouse programs (Oregon and Michigan, for example). Yes, he got benched for Michael Penix after a coaching change but the guy showed enough character to stick around for two years as Penix's primary back-up. You don't see that a lot in today's D1 college football world. To me that's a plus in the character column.

I don't think Morris would set the SBC on fire but I do think he'd have a very good chance at being a well-above average QB for us; which is something most of us would sign up for without thinking twice about it.

20 TDs to 17 INTS. If you hated Wells for all his INTs how can you be overly excited about this guy? I think we're just seeing that P5 team logo and just assuming he'll be good.

I get it. But, I'd contend Morris has a much different profile than McMahon and Colombi.

First of all, McMahon came from Rice and was simply unable to play this year because of a shoulder injury. A healthy McMahon plays over Cole, IMHO.

Colombi was never a full-time starter at Nevada or Texas Tech. That showed during his time at MU. Very up and down.

Morris started every game for UW in 2021 and faced some powerhouse programs (Oregon and Michigan, for example). Yes, he got benched for Michael Penix after a coaching change but the guy showed enough character to stick around for two years as Penix's primary back-up. You don't see that a lot in today's D1 college football world. To me that's a plus in the character column.

I don't think Morris would set the SBC on fire but I do think he'd have a very good chance at being a well-above average QB for us; which is something most of us would sign up for without thinking twice about it.
i have more trepidation taking a guy like this because we don't know what kind of OC that Doege is going to be and even if he isn't a bad OC he's still a new OC figuring things out. We need someone that can flat out play. It's probably too much to ask at this point though. I just do not like his TD/INT ration.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
20 TDs to 17 INTS. If you hated Wells for all his INTs how can you be overly excited about this guy? I think we're just seeing that P5 team logo and just assuming he'll be good.

He was fresh to college football when he made those INTs. He has had time to mature against a defense on a high ranking squad and this is a clear step down in competition. On paper, I think this as good of an opportunity to gamble on as any especially given our situation. In fact, I think this is better than what I expected. I don't expect him to be all world but I think on paper this is potentially a good SBC level starter.

i have more trepidation taking a guy like this because we don't know what kind of OC that Doege is going to be and even if he isn't a bad OC he's still a new OC figuring things out. We need someone that can flat out play. It's probably too much to ask at this point though. I just do not like his TD/INT ration.
Yep. Those 17 INTs are definitely eye popping in all the wrong ways.

If you take a look at his game log he had two really bad games. One was against a top 15 Utah team as a r-freshman where he threw 3 INTs and the other was against Montana (where he also threw 3 INTs) to open the 2021 season.

Look, he's far from a perfect prospect for us. I get the trepidation. Just something about him that I like. I'm much higher on him than Colombi and McMahon.

He was fresh to college football when he made those INTs. He has had time to mature against a defense on a high ranking squad and this is a clear step down in competition. On paper, I think this as good of an opportunity to gamble on as any especially given our situation. In fact, I think this is better than what I expected. I don't expect him to be all world but I think on paper this is potentially a good SBC level starter.
Agree... I dont see any better options beating down our door... And sometimes a change of scenery works wonders for a kid. Maybe he and Doege click right off the bat and it's a good fit.

We are definitely going to bring in somebody from the portal, and I dont think Morris is a bad option.

Yep. Those 17 INTs are definitely eye popping in all the wrong ways.

If you take a look at his game log he had two really bad games. One was against a top 15 Utah team as a r-freshman where he threw 3 INTs and the other was against Montana (where he also threw 3 INTs) to open the 2021 season.

Look, he's far from a perfect prospect for us. I get the trepidation. Just something about him that I like. I'm much higher on him than Colombi and McMahon.

I'm with you 100% on this take. He is a backup to a college playoff team and has a year starter experience against good teams and ranked well out of high school. I just hope we secure him and get him a RB and some WRS to ensure this offense takes off.

The step down in competition theory usually doesn't pan out.

Well, it should be easy just to toss out a handful of examples where P5 QBs have dropped to G5 and tore it up.

So a handful or so is adequate enough proof to make an accurate analysis of a group that includes 1000s?

Although a small sample size, the fact that it has happened to us several times in a row, sending us on this emotional rollercoaster of being elated, concerned them pissed is what makes some of us a a bit leery. @BleedsGreen33 would you say that's an accurate statement?

Although a small sample size, the fact that it has happened to us several times in a row, sending us on this emotional rollercoaster of being elated, concerned them pissed is what makes some of us a a bit leery. @BleedsGreen33 would you say that's an accurate statement?
Pretty much. We keep watching the same movie and expecting a different ending.

The whole "he just needs to be coached right" rationale is a myth too. Especially if they're a Jr or Sr. They are what they are at that point and from what we've all seen out of our staff they're not going to get that here.

Last edited:
My thought is there are natural QBs and trained QBs. The natural guys have the ability but also just some innate gift to see and feel things. Coaches look for the 6-3” kid that moves correctly and has certain mechanics. We got Cato because he wasn’t that guy, he just had whatever it is naturally.

This guy is possibly another Cato. In HS he has thrown 90TDs vs 4INT. Very little D1 interest, currently committed to Sam Houston. Overlooked because he’s a little bowling ball, 5-10” 220.

My thought is there are natural QBs and trained QBs. The natural guys have the ability but also just some innate gift to see and feel things. Coaches look for the 6-3” kid that moves correctly and has certain mechanics. We got Cato because he wasn’t that guy, he just had whatever it is naturally.

This guy is possibly another Cato. In HS he has thrown 90TDs vs 4INT. Very little D1 interest, currently committed to Sam Houston. Overlooked because he’s a little bowling ball, 5-10” 220.

Has Desoto up 46-7 in 6A-2 championship at half. A couple TD throws and a rushing TD for Bailey.
Duncanville won 6A-D1 title today. Do not miss the days when my kids school was in the same district with those two and add Cedar Hill also.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
Id imagine so... 2024 QB room as of now...

Griffis
Pennington
Parachek
High school kid from Hurricane

Probably add one PWO to use as a camp arm in the fall
I would guess that we would add 1 more portal QB since we only have 3 scholarship QBs. Is Morris still in play?

I would guess that we would add 1 more portal QB since we only have 3 scholarship QBs. Is Morris still in play?
Morris has not committed anywhere that I've seen... But once Griffis committed I highly doubt Morris is still considering MU. Im sure he is looking for some assurance that he will be the starter wherever he goes. He doesn't want to come in and be in a 3-man QB competition with Pennington and Griffis. If he wanted to do that he could stay at Washington and try to replace Pennix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT