ADVERTISEMENT

Weekend trip suggestions

big_country90

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 9, 2007
My wife and I are dropping the kid off at the grandparents and plan to take a weekend trip around Memorial Day. Any suggestions as to where we should go for a quick weekend trip?

Don't you live in Teays Valley or perhaps closer to Huntington? Not sure how far you're willing to drive, nor what preferences Mrs BC may have. If you're looking at say, something in the two to three hour driving range, I would head North up to the Davis area, rent a cabin, and hit the local tourists spots (and the brewpub each and every night). Places like Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge will be packed with folks. If you're looking to fly away, go to Mackinac Island, and stay the weekend in the Grand Hotel.

I believe Asheville, NC is only about 4.5 hours from you. It is a huge hippie town in the mountains of North Carolina. The hippie part may turn you off, but it is a really cool little city with great restaurants, a slower pace, beautiful location, and a ton of things to do.

If you want to splurge, stay at the Biltmore Estate (previously owned by the vanderbilts). It is a beautiful place with everything from horseback riding to a Land Rover off-road driving school to fly-fishing to mansion/garden tours. They also have concert series every year with some big names each weekend, but I think that is more during the summer.

You can still visit the estate and its offerings if you would rather not spend that much. There are other good hotel options in the area.

If you are flying, try Chicago. Great town. Easy to walk around, museums, shows, comedy clubs, jazz clubs, take in Cubs game and tons of great eateries. Beautiful building architecture. jmo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT