ADVERTISEMENT

Welp, Alex nailed this one for certain

But Phil Simms said....
I never understood the hype for Thomson. He went to Wagner and was pretty mediocre so what did he do that would make anyone think he was some NFL caliber QB? because Simms said so? Thomson went to Simms QB camp so of course Simms would say good things about him.

Now having said that, tonight wasn't Thomson's fault. The O line couldnt protect him at all. He was sacked 6 times, hit more than twice that much and had to scramble most of the time he took a snap. He also had several drops by his receivers. It's unfair to judge Thomson's performance given how poor his O line was in pass protecting and the number of drops from the receivers.

I never understood the hype for Thomson. He went to Wagner and was pretty mediocre so what did he do that would make anyone think he was some NFL caliber QB? because Simms said so? Thomson went to Simms QB camp so of course Simms would say good things about him.

Now having said that, tonight wasn't Thomson's fault. The O line couldnt protect him at all. He was sacked 6 times, hit more than twice that much and had to scramble most of the time he took a snap. He also had several drops by his receivers. It's unfair to judge Thomson's performance given how poor his O line was in pass protecting and the number of drops from the receivers.

I have been VERY critical of the o-line this year. They've been very bad all season except maybe 4 th quarter WKU.

That said, a lot of the sacks were unblocked blitzers off the edge Thomson never saw. Either he's supposed to be seeing that and throwing off it, or he has the line and backs in the wrong protection.

He faced the same adversities Green has faced except Thomson had run support tonight. King had a career high.

We were purposely not calling pass plays because his shoulder is trash. He couldn't practice with the 1s in camp, could barely practice in consecutive practices, and couldn't throw tonight.

It wasn't Thomson's fault we got our ass handed to us. All season our offensive line has failed to block. The blame should be placed on Doc. We were sold a bill of goods about how good we were going to be. Our Defense looks slow, our DBs continue to not turn and look at the ball and our O line isn't getting it done. Our O line had difficulty with Miami, EKU. That should have been a wake up call for Doc. W Tonight we were outplayed, out coached.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
It wasn't Thomson's fault we got our ass handed to us. All season our offensive line has failed to block. The blame should be placed on Doc. We were sold a bill of goods about how good we were going to be. Our Defense looks slow, our DBs continue to not turn and look at the ball and our O line isn't getting it done. Our O line had difficulty with Miami, EKU. That should have been a wake up call for Doc. W Tonight we were outplayed, out coached.

Dude. Stop. We made a concerted effort tonight to run, run, and run. It's not on Thomson, but he is nowhere nearly as good as he was hyped to be.

I thought I was watching 1950s Big10 football tonight.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
I can't believe that this staff was stupid enough to spend $25,000 a year in scholarship money on a player with a broke shoulder. All middle had to do was load the box and we were done in the second half.

Oh, and the pressure. How about recognizing a blitz and hit your hot route instead of getting sacked a dozen times.

I can't believe that this staff was stupid enough to spend $25,000 a year in scholarship money on a player with a broke shoulder. All middle had to do was load the box and we were done in the second half.

Oh, and the pressure. How about recognizing a blitz and hit your hot route instead of getting sacked a dozen times.

This, 1000x. I've been extra extra hard on the online this year. But they were overloading our protection and Thomson was sacking himself over and over again.

I've been done with Doc for years, but the fact this staff was so obviously looking for any angle to start this guy over green is just flabbergasting .

He clearly brinfs NOTHING to the table that Green does not. And Green has two more years to play than AT, has more escapabilitly, pocket presence, and Green throws the best deep ball we've had since Leftwich.

There should be NO question at this point who our starting qb for the next 3.5 years should be.

Reactions: ThunderCat98
All middle had to do was load the box and we were done in the second half.
Alex was a huge part of the problem tonight but I’m not sure this is accurate or fair.

Our first drive in the second half we drove down and got in field goal range.

Second drive Gaines dropped a perfect pass on third down.

Our third drive Brady dropped a perfectly thrown ball that would have resulted in a big play.

Now, I agree with you on Alex's pocket awareness and poor blitz recognition. The mental part of his game is what disappointed me. Physically I thought he looked okay and put good zip on the ball.

Good zip? He threw the ball more that 15 yards downfield three times all night. If you compare that to what Cramsey has done in the first 4 games it was obvious that the staff knew Thomson's arm just wasn't there. So you have to ask, if his shoulder limited the playbook so much, why was he playing?

Good zip? He threw the ball more that 15 yards downfield three times all night. If you compare that to what Cramsey has done in the first 4 games it was obvious that the staff knew Thomson's arm just wasn't there. So you have to ask, if his shoulder limited the playbook so much, why was he playing?
Yes, good zip. In fact, he threw the ball too hard a number of times.

Fair question on the limited play calling. It was obvious Cramsey did not feel as comfortable pushing the ball down the field with Alex as he does with IG.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

After each throw how long did we wait to call another pass play?

Green has had to carry the offense through the 4 games he played. The run game was horrid.

We ran the ball 53 times for 209 yards tonight. King hit is career game high by half time.

Thomson had 60 yards passing at the end of the half.

Fair question on the limited play calling. It was obvious Cramsey did not feel as comfortable pushing the ball down the field with Alex as he does with IG.

Even the commentators were talking about how much heat Thomson had on his throws and how he doesn't require much wind up to generate that power. Surprisingly, the kid's arm strength wasn't in question last night. It could be that his shoulder is now gone for the rest of the season, who knows? We certainly won't receive any explanation. Cramsey probably was trying to keep the game plan simple by limiting throws and keeping them short range.

I think Thomson was off sync with everyone, but the fact that he hasn't practiced with the starters until just this week (one less day to prepare due to Fri game) that shouldn't come as any surprise. Thomson also showed the ability to run, which I wasn't expecting.

Even the commentators were talking about how much heat Thomson had on his throws and how he doesn't require much wind up to generate that power. Surprisingly, the kid's arm strength wasn't in question last night. It could be that his shoulder is now gone for the rest of the season, who knows? We certainly won't receive any explanation. Cramsey probably was trying to keep the game plan simple by limiting throws and keeping them short range.

I think Thomson was off sync with everyone, but the fact that he hasn't practiced with the starters until just this week (one less day to prepare due to Fri game) that shouldn't come as any surprise. Thomson also showed the ability to run, which I wasn't expecting.

He does have zip. The problem is he can't throw several plays in a row.

I’d love to know what some were seeing in camp that they felt Thomson was superior to Green. Wow!

Feel bad for the dude and his shoulder but at this point he is not our QB for the future. That solely is on Green.

I think the anger towards AT is misplaced. He’s partially to blame but some of you are over reacting.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I think the anger towards AT is misplaced. He’s partially to blame but some of you are over reacting.

Who is angry at him. Stop making this personal.
If we're angry at anything it's year after year of preseason hype about this player or that player or this position group or that position group only to get into the season and the performance not matching the hype.

He clearly is still limited in his ability to throw consistently. That was evident in our run to pass ratio last night.

It was evident in camp. He never ran with the 1s and could barely practice in consecutive days.

I think 99.999% of us feel bad for him and would be thrilled if he even appeared he could live up to what was being sold.

Reactions: ilmherdfan
I just think it's interesting that people criticize Green for things that they don't seem to want to hold Thomson responsible for.

I know right. The same one playing white knight for Thomson were the same ones criticizing Green.

Thomson either didn't get the set in for the right protection calls, couldn't recognize it or the line really is that bad. Honestly its probably a little of all that. King ran well enough last night to win the game, but you have to be a threat to throw the ball too. We have not been balanced other than the Miami game and it appears that lays on the shoulders of terrible line play. I watched 50 get burned time and time again, he either was getting beat or would pick up the wrong guy allowing a free runner at the QB. With adequate line play the QB position likely wouldn't be a negative talking point for us, it starts and ends with that group

Bleed Green, Dude. Thomson's first effing game in over a year. I like his passing a lot more than out first team qb. I don't care who is the qb behind our weak ass line. They will not be successful. Doc has put the rope around Cramsey and his vaulted offensive mind. We wanted to show our running game against a very poor Dline of MTSU.

I know right. The same one playing white knight for Thomson were the same ones criticizing Green.

I don't know who you are referring to but it isn't me. I think Green will ultimately end up being a star. I think he has a very bright future. I also think he is ridiculously inaccurate with his passing and it has gotten in his head a bit.

Because of that, I was in support of Thomson getting a shot. I still support that. I don't think he was give a chance to breath last night, not to mention he hasn't played in 18 months. Give the kid a break. He's going to be just fine.

As far as the "personal" remark, you obviously have read some of the stuff said about Thomson in the last 24 hours. You are picking and choosing.

Last edited:
Bleed Green, Dude. Thomson's first effing game in over a year. I like his passing a lot more than out first team qb. I don't care who is the qb behind our weak ass line. They will not be successful. Doc has put the rope around Cramsey and his vaulted offensive mind. We wanted to show our running game against a very poor Dline of MTSU.

And Miami was Green's first start in almost 2 years, and his first as a college player. Interestingly, Miami and Middle have very similarly ranked passing defenses, but we saw very different results, didn't we? And also, ones first game was on the road while the other got to debut at home.

Reactions: HerdFan73
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT