ADVERTISEMENT

What a crazy world college football is becoming.

WV_Celt

Silver Buffalo
Jul 27, 2014
Barboursville
So quite a few folks on this board have floated the idea of hiring a successful FCS coach to take over when/if Huff is gone. It’s a great idea and probably the right approach.

F**king USC just hired North Dakota State’s HEAD flippin COACH to be a damn positional coach!

How in the world does Marshall or any other G5 school compete with that kind of nonsense?

There are a lot of head coaches in FCS that aren’t interested in not being in charge. They like being the man. I’m sure there are those that want to lighten the load, make more money and have less responsibility too.

Maybe that guy had interviewed for some FBS HC jobs and not gotten them. Maybe he had heard he needed P5 experience for the jobs he wanted. Maybe USC has a deal that he moves up to OC next year.

Most high motivation guys would take $1MM and be in charge before they would take $1.3MM to play second fiddle.

It’s D’Anton Lynn. USC just poached him from UCLA for $2 million/year plus a $500k housing stipend. If he does at USC what he did at UCLA in just one year, he will be getting a $15+ million guarantee as a P5 head coach.

He’s an awesome guy. If I ever got back into coaching, it would be with him or Rhule.

Lincoln Riley, very good coach but they need a better defense. If not, he is going to get sent packing.

Lincoln Riley, very good coach but they need a better defense. If not, he is going to get sent packing.
Yeah, that's why they just hired D'Anton Lynn from UCLA who worked a miracle in one year and who is making multi-millions as a coordinator each year.

So quite a few folks on this board have floated the idea of hiring a successful FCS coach to take over when/if Huff is gone. It’s a great idea and probably the right approach.

F**king USC just hired North Dakota State’s HEAD flippin COACH to be a damn positional coach!

How in the world does Marshall or any other G5 school compete with that kind of nonsense?
It's definitely going to get tougher and tougher. It seems the big boys have an unlimited cash flow to pay these coaches whatever they want.

It'll definitely take someone that just wants to run their own show and is willing to take a pay cut in most cases to do it.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I watched the Colorado Mines vs. Kutztown D2 semi final on Saturday. I enjoy watching the small schools. I'd take the Co. Mines staff and their QB all day. Both were better than what we currently have - staff or QB. Their QB was better than any of ours by a mile.

It's definitely going to get tougher and tougher. It seems the big boys have an unlimited cash flow to pay these coaches whatever they want.

It'll definitely take someone that just wants to run their own show and is willing to take a pay cut in most cases to do it.
They always have. There are only so many coaching jobs. It's not like the P5 can just have all the coaches.

For some reason FBS schools don't reach down to the lower ranks. You just don't see a lot of FCS to FBS head coaching jumps. You see this. They get assistant jobs and try to parlay that into head coaching jobs.

The G5s should be going after these accomplished FCS guys a lot more often than they do.

I would think a successful HC at any level is better than some dude that has spent a majority of his career as a position coach or recruiter.

I go back to what Doc said after his first couple seasons when asked what the biggest changed was for him becoming a HC and he said coming to the realization that you're not a coach anymore. You're a CEO and a leader of an organization. There's so much more you have to do than just coach. That's why Chuck Heater said he was perfectly fine with just being a DC. He just wanted to be a coach.

Not everyone is born to be a leader or able to handle being the guy in charge of everything. Being the CEO. Snyder wasn't. Huff certainly isn't. So I just can't understand why not go after guys that have shown they have the ability to be the head man instead of some charismatic position coach who just interviews well.

As we've seen Huff has struggled to surround himself with a staff capable of being a championship organization.

You just don't see a lot of FCS to FBS head coaching jumps.
I’m not sure what you’re looking at, but it’s common.

Not everyone is born to be a leader or able to handle being the guy in charge of everything. Being the CEO. Snyder wasn't. Huff certainly isn't.
That’s absurd. You’re basing that on one year where he has gone .500. He went 9-4 last year, and he’s had two of Marshall’s top 10 biggest wins during these two years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT