ADVERTISEMENT

Who' starting at QB

I don't think Cole will be the starter this week. I could see him starting at some point.

I don't think Cole will be the starter this week. I could see him starting at some point.
This is no indictment of Cole, but if we get to him the season is lost and I say that because he is currently the third string. It usually takes a staff a lot of losing and injuries before a staff goes that deep into their bench. If Cole hasn't already passed the other two in practice by now he won't likely do it all the sudden this week or the coming weeks.

IF Earle is Huff's guy and Huff is solid in that then it's going to take multiple losses before the switch is made and neither VT or tOSU will probably count as those losses because they can be dismissed as just us punching above our weight class. UNLESS Earle goes out there Saturday and throws a lot of picks or can't do crap and Braxton comes in and the offense takes off.

This is no indictment of Cole, but if we get to him the season is lost and I say that because he is currently the third string. It usually takes a staff a lot of losing and injuries before a staff goes that deep into their bench. If Cole hasn't already passed the other two in practice by now he won't likely do it all the sudden this week or the coming weeks.

IF Earle is Huff's guy and Huff is solid in that then it's going to take multiple losses before the switch is made and neither VT or tOSU will probably count as those losses because they can be dismissed as just us punching above our weight class. UNLESS Earle goes out there Saturday and throws a lot of picks or can't do crap and Braxton comes in and the offense takes off.
Cole needs more than 1 rep with the first group. Huff’s afraid if he gives him too many, he’ll pass the other 2

Cole needs more than 1 rep with the first group. Huff’s afraid if he gives him too many, he’ll pass the other 2
Based off of last year I think most of us would disagree with that. I want him to succeed but if his last name wasn't Pennington then you wouldn't objectively be saying he's the guy

At some point...might be another season.

Based off of last year I think most of us would disagree with that. I want him to succeed but if his last name wasn't Pennington then you wouldn't objectively be saying he's the guy
Clearly he has more upside than the other 2. They have hit their ceiling.

Clearly he has more upside than the other 2. They have hit their ceiling.
Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

Name has nothing to do with it. If the other 2 hadn’t hit their ceilings they still would be at their old schools. Ever rep those 2 get is a waste
So since they transferred, that means they hit their ceiling already? Must we look at QBs who transferred and how they did at a new school?

You’re backing yourself into an even worse argument.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Name has nothing to do with it. If the other 2 hadn’t hit their ceilings they still would be at their old schools. Ever rep those 2 get is a waste
So do you think that of every other transfer we took in? Also Braxton didn't get sidelined because he sucked. He got sidelined from injuries.

If it's not the name that is clouded your judgment consider this. Cole has been here now 3 seasons and has been passed by every QB he's competed with.

He may develop, but if the staff felt he was the best option then he'd be playing. Except they haven't come to that conclusion after 3 years of off seasons, camps, practice, meetings, film study, and a couple games. Still there's been 1 raw project QB(Fancher) and 4 transfers recruited to be the starter.

So since they transferred, that means they hit their ceiling already? Must we look at QBs who transferred and how they did at a new school?

You’re backing yourself into an even worse argument.
It means these 2 slugs have hit their ceilings. Surprised you can’t see it, but not really

It means these 2 slugs have hit their ceilings. Surprised you can’t see it, but not really
Your argument was that they hit their ceilings, and the proof you used for that argument is they are no longer at their former school. That means when QBs transfer, they have hit their ceiling, because if not, they’d be at their former school.

See how stupid that stance is?

So Metcafe, Fitzpatrick, Houston, and the other transfers have all hit their ceilings too?

You could be right about Earle as his situation had to do with getting benched for performance. That is not what happened with Braxton.

Either way Cole has not shown enough in three years to keep the staff from going to everyone but him.

IF what you say is true about Earle and Braxton being "slugs" then it says a lot about Cole because those two slugs came in here and passed him up.

He may end up being good down the road, but he's not earned it now.

Here's my take. Some qbs transfer up, meaning they are up to the challenge and still may have an up side. Some qbs transfer down or sideways. They probably have reached their ceiling and have been beat out at their previous school and are trying to hang on.

Here's my take. Some qbs transfer up, meaning they are up to the challenge and still may have an up side. Some qbs transfer down or sideways. They probably have reached their ceiling and have been beat out at their previous school and are trying to hang on.
Players transfer for a whole variety of reasons.

That being said I see the evidence as pointing to Braxton being our best shot to win now.

1. Stone Earle was at Abilene Christian for a couple season where he started and put up alright numbers then moved on to North Texas. Couldn't win the job in his first year, but won it in camp his 2nd year. However he got benched after just two games and the staff at North Texas never looked his way after that.

2. Braxton when healthy put up alight numbera, but injury forced him to the sideline and his backup performed well.

3. Cole has been in the program for 3 years and has never been able to earn a spot higher than 3rd. He only became #2 when Colombi got hurt and left forcing Cam to #1 and Cole to #2. Then Cam goes down and Cole is defacto #1 for just two games before the staff decided a still hobbled Fancher was the best bet. Once Cam hit the portal many, myself included figured we'd see Cole be the guy, but the staff wasn't sold. They signed Braxton and Griffis. Griffis then abruptly quits football and the staff feels they need to sign another QB in Earle.

One thing is for sure. Huff isn't in any position to play favorites. His head coaching career is on the line. He's going to be playing the guy he feels is going to help him win now and for whatever reason Cole had not earned his trust. He's looked to everyone but Cole.

Reactions: johns1124
So Metcafe, Fitzpatrick, Houston, and the other transfers have all hit their ceilings too?

You could be right about Earle as his situation had to do with getting benched for performance. That is not what happened with Braxton.

Either way Cole has not shown enough in three years to keep the staff from going to everyone but him.

IF what you say is true about Earle and Braxton being "slugs" then it says a lot about Cole because those two slugs came in here and passed him up.

He may end up being good down the road, but he's not earned it now.
Cole gets 1 practice rep with the ones. It is hard to show one’s stuff and be game ready with 1 rep

BB1 was a freshman All-American at Tulsa before getting hurt last year. His ceiling is far and away the highest of the 3 that played week 1

Cole gets 1 practice rep with the ones. It is hard to show one’s stuff and be game ready with 1 rep
I'm sure he got more than one rep with the ones all the way through practice and camps. Maybe now that game prep has started as QB1 gets most, QB2 gets less, and QB3 holds a clipboard.

He's been here three years. He's gotten more than one rep with the ones. Again I am not saying Cole sucks and will never play, but I am saying he's not shown enough in three years to warrant being the starter right now.

My opinion is worth about as much as everyone else's, but I think Earle and Pennington are both solid options. I think Braxton is a dude. A different sort of player. He hasn't come close to reaching his potential. I would vote him most likely to lead you to a huge upset win and also most likely to get you beat by 5 TDs. He is the dare to be great choice.

My opinion is worth about as much as everyone else's, but I think Earle and Pennington are both solid options. I think Braxton is a dude. A different sort of player. He hasn't come close to reaching his potential. I would vote him most likely to lead you to a huge upset win and also most likely to get you beat by 5 TDs. He is the dare to be great choice.
Couldn't agree more... I thought Earle was playing it very safe the first 2-3 possessions. "Just dont turn it over"... When Braxton came in he was just letting it rip. Huff attributed that to Stony Brook coming out in a new defense from last year that we didn't see coming and Earle managing the game for the first few series (and that certainly could be the case)... Braxton reminded me of watching Bernie Morris back when we had him and the much safer Jimmy Skinner, higher risk but definitely higher reward.

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin
Well the good thing is this, our next two games will definitely tell us all we need to know about how talented these guys really are.

Well the good thing is this, our next two games will definitely tell us all we need to know about how talented these guys really are.
Maybe VT will, but unless we stand toe-to-toe with tOSU, I won't take anything from it. I don't think we matchup well with them and I don't think we have the depth at DB to keep pace in the second half. Yes I know we beat ND, but that ND wasn't what they were thought to be and we had a much deeper team in then.

I don't think we'll really have a good read on this team until after WMU and App State.

Yes and no.

If Stone continues to start and plays well then I doubt we'll see anyone else behind center.

What I do know is this......if we play 3 quarterbacks anytime soon (possibly for the remainder of the season) in one game then things have likely went REALLY bad for us.

Yes and no.

If Stone continues to start and plays well then I doubt we'll see anyone else behind center.

What I do know is this......if we play 3 quarterbacks anytime soon (possibly for the remainder of the season) in one game then things have likely went REALLY bad for us.
Agreed. I can't stand this switching stuff and you're seeing it more and more often. Pick a guy and stick with him and if during the game you feel he's not getting it done and make the switch then stay with that switch going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT