ADVERTISEMENT

Why are we struggling so much at WR...Let's take a look recruiting since 2015

BleedsGreen33

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2010
Someone asked about WR depth or recruiting yesterday. Can't remember who, but it got me thinking. So i thought I'd take a look at WR recruiting from 2015 to 2019. These are the WRs that should still be on the roster. Players recruited from 2015 if they did not play immediately should be r-SRs this year and leaders in that room. I did not add in walk-ons to this list they aren't necessarily a factor.

To start off let's talk about transfers. We know about Tyre Brady and how great he was for the last two seasons. That's a feather in Doc's cap for bringing him in. Sadly he's graduated. That leaves transfers Obi Obialo from Oklahoma State who is now a SR and r-SR Tavin Richardson who transferred from UK. When Obialo is on the the field he can be a playmaker. The issue is he isn't on the field. At this point, especially IF we lose against MTSU, I think you shut him down and try to get a medical-RS. Tavin Richardson has yet to meet the excitement of his transfer. Though I never really saw it to begin with. He is only here because he tumbled down the roster at UK and he was looking for one last year to play. Hopefully for him it's just getting acclimated and he'll start to come on as the season progresses and he becomes a factor.

Now let's look at the WR recruits Doc has signed between 2015 to 2019.

Malik Tolbert (2019, 3-star) - according to Herdzone Tolbert is not on the roster. Can't remember if he's a NQ or he just never made it.

Broc Thompson (2019, 2-star) - to this point Broc has played and has 2 receptions for 54 yards.

Jeremy Smith (2019, 3-star) - moved to Safety. Because we don't have enough of those.

Amir Richardson (2019, 3-star) - currently redshirting

Ty Terrell (2018, 2-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Markeis Colvin (2018, 2-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Corey Gammage (2018, 3-star) - NQ that has a lot of promise. To this point he has caught 10 passes for 150 yards and a TD.

Talik Keaton (2018, 2-star) - rFR that has 2 catches for19 yards, but has made an impact in the return game.

Artie Henry III (2018, 3-star, JUCO) - been a solid contributor, but has been lost for the year

Jaquan Webb (2018, 3-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Caleb McMillan (2018, 2-star) - rFR that has yet to register a catch

Jon Jiles (2018, 2-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Kenny Wilkins (2018, 3-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Naquan Renalds (2017, 2star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM For the last two years this guy was listed as a "Player to watch". Boy isn't that the kiss of death.

Marcel Williams (2017, 2star, JUCO) - Ended up being a very good player for us.

Janiero Crankfield (2017, 3-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Monterio Hunt (2017, 3-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Raymond Flanders (2016, 2-star) - NEVER ARRIVED

Chris Jackson (2016, 2star) - moved to corner where he has been a starter

Antwan Wright (2016, 2-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Jacob McCrary (2016, 3-star, JUCO) - NEVER ARRIVED. I believe he was a WVU transfer.

Brandon Rodgers (2016, 2-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Willie Johnson (2016, 2-star) - talented player that really has never met his hype. He flashes, but we're still waiting.

Simino Walden (2015, 2-star) - came as a package deal with his brother Antonio Speedy Howard. Small, but has shown flashes in practice and has good speed. He is now forced into action with Artie Henry III out for the season.

Keivonte Gallmon (2015, 2-star) - NEVER MADE IT HERE

Leron Carn (2015, 2-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Latrell Nieves (2015, 2-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Reggie Rogers (2015, 3-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Raylen Elzy (2015, 3-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

Larry Dunnon (2015, 3-star) - NO LONGER WITH TEAM

It's no wonder that we have struggled so much to find consistent production over the last several years. Most of the guys that would be upperclassman leaders out there aren't even here anymore. Every year it's young guys forced into action. Those guys leave and we're left with taking transfers and JUCOs. We've gotten lucky with Brady and Williams being studs and Obialo hopefully one day being one, but we shouldn't be in that position to have to lean on transfers and JUCOs.

Doc's calling card is recruiting. Judging off of this list he's been pretty poor in WR recruiting. If we're being honest he's been terrible at it over the last several seasons.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News