ADVERTISEMENT

Wichita State and Marshall two schools connected

Jan 28, 2003
October 2, 1970 a plane carrying 31 members of the Wichita State football crashed and killed all aboard the plane.

November 14, 1970 a plane carrying 75 members of the Marshall University football team and boosters crashed killing all aboard.

i will leave it at that

As I also stated in another thread Wichita State coached by both Greg Marshall and Donnie Jones - both former coaches at Marshall.

While no less tragic, of the 36 passengers and four crew on board - 28 passengers, two flight attendants and the Captain were killed, while the remaining 9 survived.

A clear case of pilot incompetency and horrible judgement, which makes for interesting reading. The first officer, the owner of the charter company and who did not have a type rating for that type of aircraft, survived.

While inexorably intertwined by the two university tragedies, looking forward to a great "Breakfast Bowl" next Friday. Go Shox!

Last edited:
While no less tragic, of the 36 passengers and four crew on board - 28 passengers, two flight attendants and the Captain were killed, while the remaining 9 survived.

A clear case of pilot incompetency and horrible judgement, which makes for interesting reading. The first officer, the owner of the charter company and who did not have a type rating for that type of aircraft, survived.

While inexorably intertwined by the two university tragedies, looking forward to a great "Breakfast Bowl" next Friday. Go Shox!
It certainly does make for some very interesting reading, I amazed that there have been other crashes in that area by pilots flying too low through Loveland Pass. I have wanted to visit the memorial out there, unfortunately I am only out in Denver when there is snow at the site.

It certainly does make for some very interesting reading, I amazed that there have been other crashes in that area by pilots flying too low through Loveland Pass. I have wanted to visit the memorial out there, unfortunately I am only out in Denver when there is snow at the site.

Taking nothing away from the Marshall tragedy, if you have an hour sometime, here is a very compelling ( and very well produced) documentary on that fateful day for the WSU team. It includes a visit to the site just a few years ago by some of the survivors and other riveting footage. Be aware when the First Officer says he had nothing to do with the route or flying the plane, that has been widely disputed. Also, the fact that the remaining few players finished the season, and the reaction of the Arkansas fans to their first game in return is good on them. God Speed to victims of both schools.

http://www.pbs.org/video/kpts-documentaries-black-gold-remembering-the-wsu-plane-crash/

I think we beat Murray state..!!! Go HERD!!

giphy.gif

Also WSU Men's Assistant is Devon Smith. The former Greenbrier East standout the played under Coach Jerry Bradley.

Taking nothing away from the Marshall tragedy, if you have an hour sometime, here is a very compelling ( and very well produced) documentary on that fateful day for the WSU team. It includes a visit to the site just a few years ago by some of the survivors and other riveting footage. Be aware when the First Officer says he had nothing to do with the route or flying the plane, that has been widely disputed. Also, the fact that the remaining few players finished the season, and the reaction of the Arkansas fans to their first game in return is good on them. God Speed to victims of both schools.

http://www.pbs.org/video/kpts-documentaries-black-gold-remembering-the-wsu-plane-crash/

Thank you rixtoy1 for your excellent post. It was well worth reading it.

Our present head coach, Dan D'Antoni, was scheduled to be a passenger on the chartered Southern Airways aircraft, that has been documented by the movie...We Are---Marshall about Marshall's plane crash [Nov. 14, 1970]. By the grace of God, Dan gave up his seat to a doctor's wife, sparring him from the tragedy that took the lives of all 75 passengers....a little over 30 days past your University's loss [Oct. 2, 1970]. I was not aware that 9 folks walked away from the designated Gold plane caring 40 passengers. Praise God for their lives. Our tragedy has impacted many lives in the Marshall family.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte

Thank you rixtoy1 for your excellent post. It was well worth reading it.

Our present head coach, Dan D'Antoni, was scheduled to be a passenger on the chartered Southern Airways aircraft, that has been documented by the movie...We Are---Marshall about Marshall's plane crash [Nov. 14, 1970]. By the grace of God, Dan gave up his seat to a doctor's wife, sparring him from the tragedy that took the lives of all 75 passengers....a little over 30 days past your University's loss [Oct. 2, 1970]. I was not aware that 9 folks walked away from the designated Gold plane caring 40 passengers. Praise God for their lives. Our tragedy has impacted many lives in the Marshall family.

HerdZilla22 in Charlotte
Prove that he was supposed to be on the plane. Ive never heard that and he hasnt mentioned it in articles where he discusses plane crash.

Like this one from the Phoenix paper

"When D’Antoni married Alice after a one-month courtship, Hagley moved the couple from the garage apartment to a bigger one above his doctor’s office. And when the Hagleys jumped on the ill-fated plane to attend Marshall’s football game at East Carolina, the newlyweds were the natural choice to watch over the children."

As I also stated in another thread Wichita State coached by both Greg Marshall and Donnie Jones - both former coaches at Marshall.
Both were assistants under Greg White. I think someone needs to invite Greg White to the game with all that Marshall history between the two schools. Might be a nice story for TNT to run before the game.

Reactions: chuck1069
Prove that he was supposed to be on the plane. Ive never heard that and he hasnt mentioned it in articles where he discusses plane crash.

"When D’Antoni married Alice after a one-month courtship, Hagley moved the couple from the garage apartment to a bigger one above his doctor’s office. And when the Hagleys jumped on the ill-fated plane to attend Marshall’s football game at East Carolina, the newlyweds were the natural choice to watch over the children."
.........herd: why would it matter? Dan was certainly affected by it, like lots of folks that still live to this day. Hell, my Dad was offered a seat on the plane by his policyholder Charlie Kautz....I’m here, so obviously he didn’t take it. How am I supposed to prove it?
More important stuff here, like a basketball game inFriday!!

Reactions: Herd Fever
.........herd: why would it matter? Dan was certainly affected by it, like lots of folks that still live to this day. Hell, my Dad was offered a seat on the plane by his policyholder Charlie Kautz....I’m here, so obviously he didn’t take it. How am I supposed to prove it?
More important stuff here, like a basketball game inFriday!!
Because it's zillas MO to spout bullshit and I don't appreciate bullshit about the plane crash

I hope Dan does not find out I shared his story.....Google an old Phoenix newspaper, I have a copy of the article. There is a ANOTHER story where Dan finally opened up. Dr. Hagley asked Dan on Thursday if he & Alice would watch the Hagley children and give his seat up to Mrs. Hagley. Dan has never watched the movie...We Are Marshall...nor gone to the graveyard in Huntington. On a personal note, I lost 4 great friends since I was there in November 14, 1970. In 2016, during Homecoming...I asked Anne [Dan's first cousin] is she would go to the Cemetery with me [I could not force myself to go to the Memorial grave site until that day]. I was ready to reach closure. I cried...she held me. I have returned a couple times since then to pay my respect to the four (Roger, Kevin, Marcello & Jeff). Research the day Dan signed to coach Marshall 4 years....he had to depart the podium to regain his composure....he returned and said in a broken voice...."Dr. Hagley, you always wanted me to be the head coach of Marshall....well, here I am." It's hard to lose people you love and especially for me. I was a 22 year old WV kid heading to SE Aia (Thailand &Vietnam) departing around Dec. 2nd. I did not know if I would return or not?

This is a hard time for us, as for many of us that were students then...why would I make shit up...I am offended you dispute me.

HerdZilla (Gary Sweeney)

Because it's zillas MO to spout bullshit and I don't appreciate bullshit about the plane crash

And I don't appreciate you calling me a liar, terdfan429. It still hurts us...we lived through it. I was heading off to war to protect your sick ass that you might live today! You have pissed me off for the last time. Going forward.....DO NOT READ NOR RESPOND TO MY POSTS!

Gary Sweeney

I do not think you are taking anything away from the Marshall tragedy. That is a great video that you posted, I think I actually watched it a year or two ago. Have you been to the site?

I have not, but my son lives in Denver and I am putting it on my priority list. Not only the memorial on I-70, but to reach the actual spot. I grew up in Hutchinson, 40 miles from Wichita, and was a Junior at Kansas State when this happened (Lynn Dickey quarterback days). Now, I am a Shocker season ticket holder (basketball and volleyball) and am close to a number of people who were on campus at that time. Perspective is a powerful thing.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
I hope Dan does not find out I shared his story.....Google an old Phoenix newspaper, I have a copy of the article. There is a ANOTHER story where Dan finally opened up. Dr. Hagley asked Dan on Thursday if he & Alice would watch the Hagley children and give his seat up to Mrs. Hagley. Dan has never watched the movie...We Are Marshall...nor gone to the graveyard in Huntington. On a personal note, I lost 4 great friends since I was there in November 14, 1970. In 2016, during Homecoming...I asked Anne [Dan's first cousin] is she would go to the Cemetery with me [I could not force myself to go to the Memorial grave site until that day]. I was ready to reach closure. I cried...she held me. I have returned a couple times since then to pay my respect to the four (Roger, Kevin, Marcello & Jeff). Research the day Dan signed to coach Marshall 4 years....he had to depart the podium to regain his composure....he returned and said in a broken voice...."Dr. Hagley, you always wanted me to be the head coach of Marshall....well, here I am." It's hard to lose people you love and especially for me. I was a 22 year old WV kid heading to SE Aia (Thailand &Vietnam) departing around Dec. 2nd. I did not know if I would return or not?

This is a hard time for us, as for many of us that were students then...why would I make shit up...I am offended you dispute me.

HerdZilla (Gary Sweeney)
Don’t act like you’re the only one on here that lost someone that day. Thanks for your service but that service also affords me the right to call you nothing but a bullshiter. Please post a link to that article. I would love to read it.

And I don't appreciate you calling me a liar, terdfan429. It still hurts us...we lived through it. I was heading off to war to protect your sick ass that you might live today! You have pissed me off for the last time. Going forward.....DO NOT READ NOR RESPOND TO MY POSTS!

Gary Sweeney

Protect our neck from who?

Last I check, we lost and most of the soldiers became killing dope fiends.

This thread has certainly become a strange first look for the WSU fans making their first visit.

Thanks rixtoy1 for the compelling story. We certainly share more than our upcoming basketball game.

Don’t act like you’re the only one on here that lost someone that day. Thanks for your service but that service also affords me the right to call you nothing but a bullshiter. Please post a link to that article. I would love to read it.

Get off your lazy asre & go to the archives of the Denver Post & read it for yourself. No Bullsh*t from Charlotte.

HerdZilla22

Protect our neck from who?

Last I check, we lost and most of the soldiers became killing dope fiends.

Fever...you are one sick excuse of a human..
....to infer that all Veterans of the Vietnam Conflict became killing dope fiends is quite offensive to us that returned home to our families with battle scars that [by the Grace of God] became model, productive citizens (husbands, fathers, brothers, cousins, etc).

HerdZilla22...... Sgt., US ARMY, 1970-73.

"LORD, help me to remember that nothing is going to happen today that You & I can't handle together."

Fever...you are one sick excuse of a human..
....to infer that all Veterans of the Vietnam Conflict became killing dope fiends is quite offensive to us that returned home to our families with battle scars that [by the Grace of God] became model, productive citizens (husbands, fathers, brothers, cousins, etc).

HerdZilla22...... Sgt., US ARMY, 1970-73.

"LORD, help me to remember that nothing is going to happen today that You & I can't handle together."

where did I say all?

we lost and most of the soldiers became killing dope fiends[/B]

Oh Fever - Jesus, Joseph & Mary - You made a very disparaging remark about veterans serving our country! The Vietnam War, more than any in our lifetimes, was such an unpopular war here in the U.S. that veterans returning home were treated with sustained disrespect and, lacking any semblance of PTS or grief counseling, left to figure it all out on their own. That most shameful treatment, still affecting men now mostly in their 70's, is a black mark on our democracy. You couldn't be more off-base.....

WS

Fever - you do realize that 2.7 million military personnel served our nation during the Vietnam War? When you say most, does that mean over 1.4 million of those became killing dope fiends?? Just want to make sure I correctly interpret your words.....

Last edited:
Get off your lazy asre & go to the archives of the Denver Post & read it for yourself. No Bullsh*t from Charlotte.

HerdZilla22
I went to the Denver Post website and didnt find anything.

Which is it Denver Post or a Phoenix paper. Stories are changing

I was the one that originally brought up the story from the Phoenix paper not Zilla

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT