ADVERTISEMENT

Will Huff return next season?

ohio herd

Platinum Buffalo
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2012
With a historic win over ND and an 8-4 record and an upcoming bowl how long will it take. I read an article on football scoop mention him as a candidate at Ga Tech. The Cincy job is now open and with UC headed to the Big 12 who's to say?

With a historic win over ND and an 8-4 record and an upcoming bowl how long will it take. I read an article on football scoop mention him as a candidate at Ga Tech. The Cincy job is now open and with UC headed to the Big 12 who's to say?
Well, if Huff leaves, I hear Doc Holiday, who is only 65, is still available. Or, Rich Rod, age 59, who just went 9-2 at Jacksonville St, would certainly like to step back up to 1-A football. I think though that Huff needs a couple more 8+ win seasons before more lucrative programs come calling for him. Both Ga Tech and Cincy have some money, and there are many coaches who would like those jobs. I doubt Huff is their #1 candidate.

Reactions: ohio herd
No p5 is offering Huff. Let’s look at it:

- Overall record of 16-10 (assuming we win our bowl).
- 13-10 vs fbs
- 1 top 25 win
- 1 p5 win
- 1-1 in bowls
- 0 conference championships
- 0 ccg appearances
- bad losses to ECU and MTSU (2021) and BGSU (2022)

Sorry Mrs. Huff. Better plan on renewing your Y membership.

This is good for us though. We are getting better, and I think in another year or two he will be gone if we can win a title and stay ranked…

I said there is a sucker in every Athletic Department somewhere.

The only job I could see him landing right now would be South Florida. If he takes that enjoy the warm weather, the beaches, and money for a few years. Keep Saban on speed dial for an analyst job.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Huff even look at a lateral move so to speak if he thought it was a place that he thinks might be better than "Huntington". Texas State coming open made me think of that.

Huff will be back... Trickett will be back... The question is, will Guidry be back? As good as our defense has been this year, he may get a P5 promotion.

Next year we should be more balanced, better on offense but not as good on defense (based on who is returning)... If Huff turns in another 8+ win season, then I think he'll start getting serious interest from bigger schools.

Like herdman said, what job would he fit in this offseason?... Wisconsin and Nebraska have already made hires, Auburn is close to making theirs. If he left this year it would be for an AAC team or another lateral G5 program. No sense in doing that after just two years at MU.

Reactions: Jartard
Huff will be back... Trickett will be back... The question is, will Guidry be back? As good as our defense has been this year, he may get a P5 promotion.

Next year we should be more balanced, better on offense but not as good on defense (based on who is returning)... If Huff turns in another 8+ win season, then I think he'll start getting serious interest from bigger schools.

Like herdman said, what job would he fit in this offseason?... Wisconsin and Nebraska have already made hires, Auburn is close to making theirs. If he left this year it would be for an AAC team or another lateral G5 program. No sense in doing that after just two years at MU.
Do you think that any other programs are yet to fire their coach? I agree he will not leave here for another g5 job. For the record I hope he stays at least one more year and keeps the staff intact

I have not direct information, but some input from those who have connectivity, that the perception that Huff's wife doesn't like Huntington is way off. She is coaching here, deeply involved in her own work, charities, raising a child, etc. And she is a treasure to many already, in the area.

I think Huff will be back, but again, in the Transfer Portal Era, there is no way to say which players will be back. It's hard to say we will be better, because you simply don't know who will still be here after the P5s take their picks from the smaller schools.

Do you think that any other programs are yet to fire their coach? I agree he will not leave here for another g5 job. For the record I hope he stays at least one more year and keeps the staff intact
I think there will be additional coaching changes, but you have to look at where those changes are going to take place and if Huff would even be in consideration there... A few places that have/will probably fire coaches or have them retire, but Huff won't be an option -- Stanford, Colorado, WVU... Maybe Northwestern? Texas AM?... Other than that the jobs coming open in the next few weeks will be lateral G5 jobs.

Reactions: ohio herd
I have not direct information, but some input from those who have connectivity, that the perception that Huff's wife doesn't like Huntington is way off. She is coaching here, deeply involved in her own work, charities, raising a child, etc. And she is a treasure to many already, in the area.
Two children. They have a newborn now.

I think there will be additional coaching changes, but you have to look at where those changes are going to take place and if Huff would even be in consideration there... A few places that have/will probably fire coaches or have them retire, but Huff won't be an option -- Stanford, Colorado, WVU... Maybe Northwestern? Texas AM?... Other than that the jobs coming open in the next few weeks will be lateral G5 jobs.
Auburn is open. Looks like Lane K told them no. Word is Hugh Freeze is their next option but, might getting some push back from some admin and boosters. If Freeze goes to Auburn, Liberty opens up. Interesting job at Liberty. Everything that goes with the school(some like and some do not) but, it pays a ton of money for a G5 job. Freeze is making 5 million a year there.

Call me Crazy for this ……Could CH be building us for entry in the future by grooming us into a P5 slot somewhere? ACC or BIG 12

• Haha
Reactions: The Real SamC
Fairly certain he was hurt very early in the season. He had a solid year last year and had some huge catches
He was a contributor, but not a go-to, or star receiver. Recognition wise, I'd say his choice for personal reasons wasn't so great for recognition reasons.

It's official: Hugh Freeze to Auburn. So if Huff and family have a real hankering to return to his native State, he can fire off his resume to Flame Land to whomever is in charge at Jerry Falwell U.!!

Coach Laundry is not going anywhere. If Huff is here, Coach Lance stays. Huff gets the players to make (LG) defense look good.

It's very rare that an athlete leaves Marshall early or transfers and realizes the success they had here, or playing time. Speaking in terms of moving to another G5 school or moving to P5 or trying to turn pro. Stay the course, work your butt off and things usually play out for the better.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT