ADVERTISEMENT

Willie Korn coming back to town, our next OC?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I'd like to see more context then these cookie crumbs. It feels like a Herd Presser.

Isn't he the OC at Coastal? Then yes, he is coming here to try and beat us. LOL

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
Yes he is listed as the co-offensive coordinator and qb coach and yes he does not list Marshall at all in his bio.

It's been awhile since we hit paydirt on a qb transfer!
I don't think we've ever hit paydirt on a portal type transfer. I know many will point to Kresser, but he's a different situation. He followed Pruett here. We didn't just pull him out of a portal. He was also a big time recruit.

Willy Korn was damage goods that the staff did not fully evaluate. They bought sight unseen.

Michael Birdsong wasn't very good.

Alex Thomson was complete garbage. Several red flags that everyone wanted to ignore. Injury that had not been proven to heal and even when healthy he wasn't very good playing in one of the worst conferences in FCS.

Henri Colombi to this point has been complete garbage. Again red flags that everyone wanted to just ignore because the whole P5 transitive property rationalization we continually do on P5 washouts chasing PT.

I don't mind brining transfers in, but every time we do they're already elevated to starter status and they bust out. Colombi was the starter before he stepped on campus and so far has blown up in our face.

Unless we're getting some proven talent I wish we'd stay out of the portal for QBs. I mean sure if it's a 2022 FR QB that still has several years to develop, but these "stop gap" "one hit" hopefuls that after years of trying couldn't play elsewhere are a complete waste of time. Why not look to the FCS for a proven talent and I don't mean just being a starter like Thomson. A proven winner.

Why bring in some guy(like Colombi) that has been at multiple stops and was never good enough to play? Hinging our hopes on that? Now here we are yet again going into an off season with a huge question mark at QB. We've wasted one of the best defenses we've ever had and Laborn. A recruit that we could never get without special circumstances. If we had just a serviceable QB right now we'd be undefeated and most likely ranked in the top 25.

The other thing that has held this program back in terms of QB production is coaching. Cato was an amazing talent and overcame poor coaching. We need a QB coach. The most important position on the field and we don't have a dedicated position coach for it. We do for other positions, but not QB.

The way we have been approaching QBs and handling them once their here has got to change.

I don't think we've ever hit paydirt on a portal type transfer. I know many will point to Kresser, but he's a different situation. He followed Pruett here. We didn't just pull him out of a portal. He was also a big time recruit.

Willy Korn was damage goods that the staff did not fully evaluate. They bought sight unseen.

Michael Birdsong wasn't very good.

Alex Thomson was complete garbage. Several red flags that everyone wanted to ignore. Injury that had not been proven to heal and even when healthy he wasn't very good playing in one of the worst conferences in FCS.

Henri Colombi to this point has been complete garbage. Again red flags that everyone wanted to just ignore because the whole P5 transitive property rationalization we continually do on P5 washouts chasing PT.

I don't mind brining transfers in, but every time we do they're already elevated to starter status and they bust out. Colombi was the starter before he stepped on campus and so far has blown up in our face.

Unless we're getting some proven talent I wish we'd stay out of the portal for QBs. I mean sure if it's a 2022 FR QB that still has several years to develop, but these "stop gap" "one hit" hopefuls that after years of trying couldn't play elsewhere are a complete waste of time. Why not look to the FCS for a proven talent and I don't mean just being a starter like Thomson. A proven winner.

Why bring in some guy(like Colombi) that has been at multiple stops and was never good enough to play? Hinging our hopes on that? Now here we are yet again going into an off season with a huge question mark at QB. We've wasted one of the best defenses we've ever had and Laborn. A recruit that we could never get without special circumstances. If we had just a serviceable QB right now we'd be undefeated and most likely ranked in the top 25.

The other thing that has held this program back in terms of QB production is coaching. Cato was an amazing talent and overcame poor coaching. We need a QB coach. The most important position on the field and we don't have a dedicated position coach for it. We do for other positions, but not QB.

The way we have been approaching QBs and handling them once their here has got to change.
Agree about the qb coach. I was meaning Kresser, he was still a transfer here no matter how we got him. Really wish we could how have gotten Tyson Bagent this year.

Agree about the qb coach. I was meaning Kresser, he was still a transfer here no matter how we got him. Really wish we could how have gotten Tyson Bagent this year.
It does matter because we're not pulling that caliber of a QB now. We only got him because he followed Pruett. Hoping for another Kresser level transfer really is unrealistic. Those guys in today's portal are gone to another P5 the second they're eligible to hit the portal.

I would if we hit the portal to look at younger QBs that have multiple years left or a playoff/championship level FCS QB. Even if Colombi had worked out he's one and done. I'm not saying we'd never hit good in the portal, but it can't be done with consistency to afford doing it season after season.

For G5s the best success comes with a QB that's been running the system for mutliple seasons. Yes there's exceptions to the rule, but not many. Unless again you're picking the cream of the crop. Not a 5th year journeyman senior that couldn't win anywhere else.

The other thing we have going against us right now is our offense. No top flight QB is going to look at our offense and want to come here. Would you want to play in that if you had other options?

Last edited:
Reactions: KellyGreenAlumni
We will see what our AD will do in the off season about the holes that we the fans see in this coaching staff. If Spears isn't pushing Huff to make changes then with the OC and finding a new Oline coach. Huff letting Leg go and move tricket or just replace him altogether. If Spears isn't pushing or makeing the moves then what is the point of donating or even following any Marshall sport other then to fill your time?

Reactions: MUMAN3419
We will see what our AD will do in the off season about the holes that we the fans see in this coaching staff. If Spears isn't pushing Huff to make changes then with the OC and finding a new Oline coach. Huff letting Leg go and move tricket or just replace him altogether. If Spears isn't pushing or makeing the moves then what is the point of donating or even following any Marshall sport other then to fill your time?
Sounds to me, you want Spears running the FB program

Spears is the AD correct? So yes I want him to step in and do his job and put a much better product on the field. But we can stay as is if you like Sluggo72.

Reactions: MUMAN3419
It does matter because we're not pulling that caliber of a QB now. We only got him because he followed Pruett. Hoping for another Kresser level transfer really is unrealistic. Those guys in today's portal are gone to another P5 the second they're eligible to hit the portal.

I would if we hit the portal to look at younger QBs that have multiple years left or a playoff/championship level FCS QB. Even if Colombi had worked out he's one and done. I'm not saying we'd never hit good in the portal, but it can't be done with consistency to afford doing it season after season.

For G5s the best success comes with a QB that's been running the system for mutliple seasons. Yes there's exceptions to the rule, but not many. Unless again you're picking the cream of the crop. Not a 5th year journeyman senior that couldn't win anywhere else.

The other thing we have going against us right now is our offense. No top flight QB is going to look at our offense and want to come here. Would you want to play in that if you had other options?
No I wouldn't look at Marshall right now.

Spears is the AD correct? So yes I want him to step in and do his job and put a much better product on the field. But we can stay as is if you like Sluggo72.
not the point. The point is, the AD does not run the FB coaching staff. As soon as they think they do, write off another season. If the AD wants changes, then fire Huff. If Huff isn't smart enough to figure what to do, they we have the wrong guy. The AD is in charge of the Head Coaches, not micro managing his staff.

Reactions: horsrman
The other thing that has held this program back in terms of QB production is coaching. Cato was an amazing talent and overcame poor coaching. We need a QB coach. The most important position on the field and we don't have a dedicated position coach for it.
Cato was coached for 2.5 years by Tony Petersen, Tony is a proven QB Coach wish they would bring him home to coach up some kids! People might not like his OC abilities but the guy can produce QBs…

Cato was also very talented and fun to watch after bill legg quit calling plays and let him just cut loose…..

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Are asst. coaches on multi year contracts? I thought they were year to year.
I didn’t say that I said the HC is in charge of his AC not the AD As soon as the AD gets involved w the AC then the HC should see the writing on the walls for himself

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT