ADVERTISEMENT

With the future of college sports uncertain, one thing is clear: An official and permanent split of NCAA Division I is here

Dec 12, 2023

NAPLES, Fla. — Inside the beachside Ritz-Carlton resort along Florida’s southwestern coast, leaders of college athletics met in a second-floor conference room to discuss particulars about the industry’s future.

Those in the room were limited to five men: NCAA president Charlie Baker and commissioners from the SEC, ACC, Big 12 and Big Ten.

Not in the room: the other 28 Division I commissioners who milled about on the first floor of the resort wondering the whereabouts of the other four.

Split should have happened years ago
Yup. I say we tell them all to kick rocks and do our own thing. I don't care if that is a middle division of just the G5 or the G5 and the FCS merge. Those at the top do not have the best interest of the sport as a whole in mind. All they care about is how they can control access and get more money.

What would be great is if the other 2/3s of the P5/4 would wake up to the fact they they don't belong either.

Yup. I say we tell them all to kick rocks and do our own thing. I don't care if that is a middle division of just the G5 or the G5 and the FCS merge. Those at the top do not have the best interest of the sport as a whole in mind. All they care about is how they can control access and get more money.

What would be great is if the other 2/3s of the P5/4 would wake up to the fact they they don't belong either.

As long as they get the big paychecks then they're going to belong. You couldn't run them off with a Howitzer. lol

- The focus of evil in the sports world, ESPN, will next move against the field fillers in the "big" conferences. They don't need them and they contradict their vision of AAA NFL and AAA NBA. You think ESPN really wants to show Indiana-Minnesota or the like? No. The ESPN vision of not more than 40 AAA pro teams will eventually come about.

- NO ONE cares about the second division. Who won (don't look) AAA baseball last year? The AHL? The G League? The xfinity Series? The Korn-Ferry Tour? No one cares.

The fans of the teams in those leagues care. If people weren’t bent on having their ego stroked based on the accomplishments of kids playing for their school, they wouldn’t care about groups their team isn’t a part of.

How sad is it that a grown azz man would be mad that he might miss out on faux recognition from an Oregon fan 3,000 miles away that he will never meet? That’s essentially what it boils down to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT