ADVERTISEMENT

Years set for Virginia Tech to play Marshall

Chris McLaughlin

Grammar Snob
Staff
Feb 14, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
marshall.rivals.com
We hinted at a couple of these details: https://www.richmond.com/sports/col...cle_1990c774-5133-59f3-b1e0-9adc6a814cff.html

Games to be played in 2023 and 2024. First one will be in Huntington.

Tech is considering replacing its Sept. 23, 2023, game at East Carolina and its Sept. 7, 2024, home date vs. ECU with the Marshall games.

That would leave our OOC schedules as:
2023:
09/02 - Navy
09/09 - at East Carolina
09/23 - Virginia Tech
10/14 - Liberty

9/07 - at Virginia Tech

10/05 - at Liberty

I would see if Liberty wanted to swap home years. Otherwise 24 looks like something involving MACers and I-AAs as home non-conference games.

CUSA needs to get Liberty in the conference ASAP.

I would see if Liberty wanted to swap home years. Otherwise 24 looks like something involving MACers and I-AAs as home non-conference games.

CUSA needs to get Liberty in the conference ASAP.
I'm 45 minutes from Lynchburg and LU's campus. I agree with that, they are up and coming very fast. They had 4 FBS wins this year, which is their first year at the FBS level. They have great facilities which includes a nice expansion to their stadium. They definitely have tons of money to build whatever they want.

I'm 45 minutes from Lynchburg and LU's campus. I agree with that, they are up and coming very fast. They had 4 FBS wins this year, which is their first year at the FBS level. They have great facilities which includes a nice expansion to their stadium. They definitely have tons of money to build whatever they want.
I'd stay as far away from Liberty as possible. That school is beyond strange and I hate that we're playing them in a few years. They basically gave the conference a blank check in order to get in CUSA and we still said no.

If the conference wants to expand in Virginia we should go all out for JMU.

If by "strange" you are talking about religion, then that is unfortunate that you say that. If a person practices a religion different from my own, it is none of my business.

As to JMU, and all of these other good I-AAs, there is only one issue. They are I-AAs. Lots of schools COULD grow a pair and go I-A, like we did. But they haven't. For whatever reason, they remain below this level, by their own choice. Until they do, they have no place in the discussion.

Reactions: dangerousdaneerfan
I'd stay as far away from Liberty as possible. That school is beyond strange and I hate that we're playing them in a few years. They basically gave the conference a blank check in order to get in CUSA and we still said no.

If the conference wants to expand in Virginia we should go all out for JMU.

I could not agree with you more.
We've seen what happens when an up and coming school pours money into itself and enters CUSA...
It becomes ODU or Charlotte...neither of which has had any sustained success.
Seems to me Liberty is wanting to show everyone of their potential...and then not actually live up to it. CUSA has already endured this multiple times...no surprise they said, "No."

If by "strange" you are talking about religion

It's more about the Falwells, and their tendency to court national controversy as a means of self-promotion. Their marketing strategy is to hot-take themselves into a public media flogging, and then use that flogging to convince sympathetic Christians that their university provides the only true "safe space" for their children. No conference wants that.

If by "strange" you are talking about religion, then that is unfortunate that you say that. If a person practices a religion different from my own, it is none of my business.
I have a huge problem with the type of evangelical bullshit they practice over there, yes. It is rooted in bigotry and hate and has no place in today's society.

Their 30% acceptance rate is a farce and the university as a whole is a gigantic fraud which is really nothing more than a (mostly online) diploma mill. When I see an applicant with a degree from LU come across my desk I laugh - as does everyone else in this job market.

Liberty University can literally kiss my hairy ass.

But other than that I really like the school.

When I see an applicant with a degree from LU come across my desk I laugh - as does everyone else in this job market.

I found a discussion thread online of past grads talking about whether they regretted going there, and almost all of the responses indicated that they had to get a second degree from a different school to get a job.

I had an aunt that went to Bob Jones University in the 70's, and I remember her telling me about all the rules they lived under, as adults, with separate male-female classes, no touching, etc. She could tell I was flabbergasted, and she just said, "So now you know why I moved to California."

Reactions: Chris McLaughlin

On a personal, individual basis, I agree with you. When it comes to an organization (Conference USA and Marshall), they absolutely should not have tolerance for another potential member which preaches bigotry at its core.

Tolerance does not mean acceptance of intolerance.

Reactions: Raoul Duke MU
I have a huge problem with the type of evangelical bullshit they practice over there, yes. It is rooted in bigotry and hate and has no place in today's society.

Their 30% acceptance rate is a farce and the university as a whole is a gigantic fraud which is really nothing more than a (mostly online) diploma mill. When I see an applicant with a degree from LU come across my desk I laugh - as does everyone else in this job market.

Liberty University can literally kiss my hairy ass.

But other than that I really like the school.

I've heard similar sentiments from HR professionals regarding Liberty. A previous HR manager at my office told me that most online universities, like Strayer, get more respect than LU.

I found a discussion thread online of past grads talking about whether they regretted going there, and almost all of the responses indicated that they had to get a second degree from a different school to get a job.

"

I would say half the people that I talk to say the same thing about Marshall, including my wife. An undergrad degree is not much count these days, especially in certain fields.

I don’t want anymore schools added to CUSA. We can’t compete for championships as it is.

I could care less about a person's religion or politics, or if they let their religion influence their politics.

I have heard different opinions about LU's academic quality, but the very few LU grads I have worked with are certainly not the product of a "diploma mill".

But, if I understand the deal correctly, LU offered CUSA $16M straight cash homie for membership and was turned down, because of politics/religion. Likewise by the SBC, and had to threaten to sue the NCAA to be allowed to move up to I-A as an independent (NCAA has a rule that no new independents will be allowed in I-A). Sixteen million dollars, divided 14 ways pays for a lot of baseball stadium/IPF/travel, whatever.

And LU has 15K actual on-campus students, not counting the online stuff (which is 100K people total) and wants to have 30K on-campus in 20 years. And it wants to be the "protestant Notre Dame" in sports.

Having a school with 10s of 1000s of alumni spread all over the country, 15K real students, and with the potential (there is that word) of appealing to a large segment of non-alumni in the way Notre Dame or BYU do, and who can put butt in seats in Huntington, WV, beats the hell all out of UNCC or UTSA.

I have no more problem with Liberty than I would with BYU or SMU. I just think we already have to many schools in our conference already. Not wanting to water things down anymore. We have already added ODU and UNCC!

Talking of expansion, things sure turned south for ECU after they left the league. That may be of benefit to us in having a long-term, regional rivalry with VaTech.

I'd like to see the Pirates come back into the C-USA, cut loose of the Texas schools to the Mountain West and merge what's left with the best of the Sun Belt.

Talking of expansion, things sure turned south for ECU after they left the league.

ECU is the gross outlier in the AAC. The other schools all are urban or suburban in big markets. ECU is a in Greenvile, NC, which is not exactly Cincinnati, and is located where the prosperity of the Piedmont gives way to the much poorer coastal plain of NC. While I understand taking the AAC $$, they will always be different in that league. And they are there to shore up the football, they have never even tried at basketball. IIRC, their floor used to look like a rec center, with lines for 14 other sports pained on, until a few years ago.

ECU has the worst case of "little brother" in the world. They are never going to break through outside their own alumni and the immediate local area in the shadow of the ACC. They have bounced from conference to conference trying to make that be different, but it never will be.

Building up a relationship with VPI, especially if ECU is on bad terms with them and continues to underperform in football, can only be good.

Talking of expansion, things sure turned south for ECU after they left the league. That may be of benefit to us in having a long-term, regional rivalry with VaTech.

I'd like to see the Pirates come back into the C-USA, cut loose of the Texas schools to the Mountain West and merge what's left with the best of the Sun Belt.

If we beat them this weekend, I'm sure it'll spark interest for the future.

No way ECU would give up the AAC money and exposure to come back to CUSA. I can't blame them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT