ADVERTISEMENT

Yellowstone Questions

Aaron Perkins

Jan 9, 2006
Huntington
My son and I are flying to Jackson Hole Wednesday and spending Thursday at Yellowstone.

Has anyone been. I need about a 6 hour itinerary.

Thoughts?

You would need 6 days to capture even a decent amount of all the sights in Yellowstone. I would say your best option is to simply see old faithful and some of the other sites close by. You can google the park map for all the various sites, but six hours will go by quickly, so my recommendation would simply be to study up on the area, and make you an agenda. Depending on timing, you will likely spend half your time in and around old faithful. Just don't get cute with the buffalo, because that herd comes prepared to play hard.

I know 6 hours is not enough time to do much of anything. I was figuring on driving tim the south entrance to old faithful then go up and out the west entrance and just see what I can see.

Would you recommend 6 hours in Yellowstone or 6 hours in the Grand Teton National Park?

I know 6 hours is not enough time to do much of anything. I was figuring on driving tim the south entrance to old faithful then go up and out the west entrance and just see what I can see.

Would you recommend 6 hours in Yellowstone or 6 hours in the Grand Teton National Park?

.....that’s like going to the circus. You want to see the gray bearded lady who swallows a flaming sword....but the most beautiful woman you have ever seen smiles and winks at you....;D)
For me, the Tetons are just breath taking! They were the highlight when we went out West 22 years ago. You can do the Clark Griswald @ the Tetons on your way to Yellowstone....
But no ? - your son would rather see the bubbling cauldrons, the steam rising, old faithful. There are places you can walk out and be right up on some amazing openings in our rock. Have dinner in the OF Lodge. That’s where OF is. Once you enter YS from the south, how are you going to get towards Boise ? Maybe some Bronco fans will have some tips. It cost $20 to get in in the 90’s, so prob more now.... you’re going to be impressed - I was!

My son and I are flying to Jackson Hole Wednesday and spending Thursday at Yellowstone.

Has anyone been. I need about a 6 hour itinerary.

Thoughts?

I went when I was like 10’years old. LOL. I remember standing there FOREVER waiting for Old Faithful. Then a bunch of water spewed in the air. I remember asking “that’s it???” LOL

Reactions: Aaron Perkins

I’ve been there too. Don’t remember what I saw there though.

.....that’s like going to the circus. You want to see the gray bearded lady who swallows a flaming sword....but the most beautiful woman you have ever seen smiles and winks at you....;D)
For me, the Tetons are just breath taking! They were the highlight when we went out West 22 years ago. You can do the Clark Griswald @ the Tetons on your way to Yellowstone....
But no ? - your son would rather see the bubbling cauldrons, the steam rising, old faithful. There are places you can walk out and be right up on some amazing openings in our rock. Have dinner in the OF Lodge. That’s where OF is. Once you enter YS from the south, how are you going to get towards Boise ? Maybe some Bronco fans will have some tips. It cost $20 to get in in the 90’s, so prob more now.... you’re going to be impressed - I was!

It looks like I can drive out the west entrance and down to Idaho falls then I am taking the scenic route over to Boise.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
It looks like I can drive out the west entrance and down to Idaho falls then I am taking the scenic route over to Boise.

The drive from West Yellowstone through Island Park. You'll start hitting farmland around Ashton to Idaho Falls. The drive from Idaho Falls to Boise on Highway 20 is pretty interesting. You'll be able to see Atomic City and Arco, the first town in the country to to use nuclear power. You will also drive through the Idaho Nuclear Engingeering Lab that has top secret nuclear research going on. Don't venture off the beaten path while cruising through or you might run into some not so welcoming individuals.

You'll also drive by the Lost River where it disappears into ground and doesn't resurface until 150 miles southwest at 10,000 Springs near Hagerman Idaho through the cliffs and into the Snake River.

Try to make a couple of hours to tour Craters of the Moon National Monument on your way through. Very interesting terrain created by the same hot spot that created Yellowstone.

Highway 20 will cross Highway 75 and if you make a right and travel 20 miles you'll be in Sun Valley. Lot's of Hollywood Actors/Actresses have homes there as do many national politicians and Fortune 500 tycoons.

When you get to Boise feel free hit the tailgates around the stadium. We're a welcoming crowd and would love to share some lies while hoisting a refreshing cold one. My spot is on Bronco Circle about 40 yards from the stadium.

Sun will just be going down at kickoff and will be about 80 degrees and dropping to about 65 by the end of the game. Thunderstorms in the a.m. but should be clear by kick.

Let me know if I can be of help on your trip out and have safe travels.

The drive from West Yellowstone through Island Park. You'll start hitting farmland around Ashton to Idaho Falls. The drive from Idaho Falls to Boise on Highway 20 is pretty interesting. You'll be able to see Atomic City and Arco, the first town in the country to to use nuclear power. You will also drive through the Idaho Nuclear Engingeering Lab that has top secret nuclear research going on. Don't venture off the beaten path while cruising through or you might run into some not so welcoming individuals.

You'll also drive by the Lost River where it disappears into ground and doesn't resurface until 150 miles southwest at 10,000 Springs near Hagerman Idaho through the cliffs and into the Snake River.

Try to make a couple of hours to tour Craters of the Moon National Monument on your way through. Very interesting terrain created by the same hot spot that created Yellowstone.

Highway 20 will cross Highway 75 and if you make a right and travel 20 miles you'll be in Sun Valley. Lot's of Hollywood Actors/Actresses have homes there as do many national politicians and Fortune 500 tycoons.

When you get to Boise feel free hit the tailgates around the stadium. We're a welcoming crowd and would love to share some lies while hoisting a refreshing cold one. My spot is on Bronco Circle about 40 yards from the stadium.

Sun will just be going down at kickoff and will be about 80 degrees and dropping to about 65 by the end of the game. Thunderstorms in the a.m. but should be clear by kick.

Let me know if I can be of help on your trip out and have safe travels.

.....could it be? The elusive, rational, respectful opponent fan base? Often mentioned around camp fires when haunting tales are told. Almost extinct. Snow leopard level hard to spot.
Welcome Broncos!! The Herd will be there soon. Should be a good one on the rug!

.....could it be? The elusive, rational, respectful opponent fan base? Often mentioned around camp fires when haunting tales are told. Almost extinct. Snow leopard level hard to spot.

We're all looking forward to the first home game and like most fans everywhere we're nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. Much respect for the Thundering Herd.

Aaron, you drive through Grand Teton National Park on the way to the south entrance to Yellowstone. From the Grand Teton's to the sought entrance it's about 55 miles. Once in the park, I would head to the Grand Canyon (canyon area) of Yellowstone, about 90 minutes from the south entrance. Then head to Lamar Valley for the wildlife - drive through that area and then head toward the west entrance. You'll go through the Gibbon River area and Gibbon Falls - beautiful scenery. You can then either go south and hit Old Faithful, or hit the Norris Geyser Basin before heading to the West Entrance along the Madison River.

Old Faithful is cool but the Norris Geyser Basin is better, jmo.

If you want lunch, and want the experience, then by all means head to the Old Faithful Inn for lunch. Incredible to see. They patterned Disney's wilderness lodge after it.

The Canyon area is pretty much the center of the park. We stayed in the Canyon Lodge in July and from there, most sites were about a 60 minute or so drive in any direction except the northeastern part of the park which was further away.

Lots of driving but the scenery is awe inspiring and worth it. Good luck!

We're all looking forward to the first home game and like most fans everywhere we're nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. Much respect for the Thundering Herd.

Curious, were you following Boise State football back in both our schools' I-AA days?

Curious, were you following Boise State football back in both our schools' I-AA days?
Yes,
Actually been following Boise since 1958 when they were a Junior College. My uncle was the team manager at the time and would take all us snot nosed kids to practice and games at the time. We would use the old wooden grandstands as our jungle gym and have a great time. Mysteriously cookies always seemed to show up. Found out a few years later that the head coach and later AD when we went to 4 year school Boise State legend Lyle Smith, 156–26–6 (field is named after him) left orders to make sure the "kids" had their treats.
Man was a class act and went to every football and basketball game he could until he died in 2017 at the age of 101. He won the National Junior College Championship in 1958.

Did go to the 1994 game with Marshall and you guys had us on the ropes but Boise always plays to the last whistle. Know it is sour grapes for The Herd but sweet memories of a great comeback for us. Unfortunatly we couldn't bring in all together for the National Championship against Youngstown State as we did in 1980 against Eastern Kentucky.

As you can see from above, we have won National Championships at each level of football. One of our goals is to get to and win the game at the highest level of D1. We came within one game of having a shot in 2010 but kickers are kickers sometimes.

Yes,
Actually been following Boise since 1958 when they were a Junior College. My uncle was the team manager at the time and would take all us snot nosed kids to practice and games at the time. We would use the old wooden grandstands as our jungle gym and have a great time. Mysteriously cookies always seemed to show up. Found out a few years later that the head coach and later AD when we went to 4 year school Boise State legend Lyle Smith, 156–26–6 (field is named after him) left orders to make sure the "kids" had their treats.
Man was a class act and went to every football and basketball game he could until he died in 2017 at the age of 101. He won the National Junior College Championship in 1958.

Did go to the 1994 game with Marshall and you guys had us on the ropes but Boise always plays to the last whistle. Know it is sour grapes for The Herd but sweet memories of a great comeback for us. Unfortunatly we couldn't bring in all together for the National Championship against Youngstown State as we did in 1980 against Eastern Kentucky.

As you can see from above, we have won National Championships at each level of football. One of our goals is to get to and win the game at the highest level of D1. We came within one game of having a shot in 2010 but kickers are kickers sometimes.

I've always rooted for Boise. Friday will be the first time since 1994 that I won't be. Both of our schools were on a similar trajectory, having made the leap to I-A and maintaining success. Unfortunately, we took the wrong off ramp a time or two and lost some of that momentum.

I've always rooted for Boise. Friday will be the first time since 1994 that I won't be. Both of our schools were on a similar trajectory, having made the leap to I-A and maintaining success. Unfortunately, we took the wrong off ramp a time or two and lost some of that momentum.
I'm with you... I remember when MU was a model for BSU.

Thanks for the kind words.

Lots of similarities between Boise and Marshall, in my opinion. Blue collar programs/schools with fanbases who are very loyal. Obviously Boise has been much, much better over the past 20 years but I doubt there's a Marshall fan on planet earth who doesn't respect the heck out of Boise.

Hope y'all bring a ton of people to Huntington in 2020. Should be a good atmosphere and crowd.

Thanks for the kind words.

Lots of similarities between Boise and Marshall, in my opinion. Blue collar programs/schools with fanbases who are very loyal. Obviously Boise has been much, much better over the past 20 years but I doubt there's a Marshall fan on planet earth who doesn't respect the heck out of Boise.

Hope y'all bring a ton of people to Huntington in 2020. Should be a good atmosphere and crowd.

If all goes as planned wife and I will be there. Travel to at least 3 games a year. We have Huntington on the list for next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT