ADVERTISEMENT

Zamora Leaves

Herd020

Silver Buffalo
Aug 18, 2006
Just saw a tweet from Pete Zamora that he is entering the transfer portal.

Just saw a tweet from Pete Zamora that he is entering the transfer portal.

Boy I tell you, transfer portal in its current state is absolutely killing everything that college football was about to me.

In a few years teams are going to just be 100 new journeymen every season that have zero real interest in the university

I couldn’t have imagined a recruit more passionate and vocal about Marshall then Pete was for the year or so before he came. I was so excited to see how he developed, and how that passion translated to the field.

My kid is 8 and I’m actively steering him away from choosing any favorite players because more likely than not any player he gets attached to will be gone next season.

Boy I tell you, transfer portal in its current state is absolutely killing everything that college football was about to me.

In a few years teams are going to just be 100 new journeymen every season that have zero real interest in the university

I couldn’t have imagined a recruit more passionate and vocal about Marshall then Pete was for the year or so before he came. I was so excited to see how he developed, and how that passion translated to the field.

My kid is 8 and I’m actively steering him away from choosing any favorite players because more likely than not any player he gets attached to will be gone next season.
100% correct! Transfer Portal has ruined college sports. It's gone for good.

Agree 100%. College sports are beginning to look like minor league baseball back when Charleston had a real team. Every year it was a whole new team, you just rooted for the home team or went because you liked baseball.

And who was the big advocate of these poor “exploited” players and all of this nonsense.?

The focus of evil in the sports world. ESPN.

Or......you work hard, push yourself and win the job. But why do that when you can try to take the easy route. I Hate the portal and wish Zamora well
You think this is the easy route? It's the stupid route. It's like these players live in a cave. For as active on social media as they are you'd think they'd see how many players (78% last year) did not find a landing spot. Zamora is what next year? The #2 QB. Did someone promise him a starting role somewhere else? Unless they have he's now going to have to hope someone buys him off of next to zero college film and if he goes to a halfway decent team he's going to be fighting off guys at his next stop too.

These kids have huge egos and no one ever checks them.

Reactions: goherdorgohome2
Agree 100%. College sports are beginning to look like minor league baseball back when Charleston had a real team. Every year it was a whole new team, you just rooted for the home team or went because you liked baseball.

And who was the big advocate of these poor “exploited” players and all of this nonsense.?

In truth you should just be rooting for the team, especially in college, more than the player anyways. You're reloading every other year and players have always left. Especially QBs that don't start. It's nuts right now, but eventually these kids are going to learn they aren't as good as they think an that portal is a portal to hell for most of these transfers.

Can’t blame Zamora in this situation. Cam is a freshman and it looks like he could be the man for the next few seasons.
A freshman who, like all players, can get hurt in one snap. This makes no sense, unless he was informed by the coaching staff that they plan on going a different direction. Which would not surprise me.

Huff is building a program and with Wells abandoning ship the order of rotation was interrupted thus the Qb building position was what it was this season. Now, the future rotation of Talent is building a pipeline.

You think this is the easy route? It's the stupid route. It's like these players live in a cave. For as active on social media as they are you'd think they'd see how many players (78% last year) did not find a landing spot. Zamora is what next year? The #2 QB. Did someone promise him a starting role somewhere else? Unless they have he's now going to have to hope someone buys him off of next to zero college film and if he goes to a halfway decent team he's going to be fighting off guys at his next stop too.

Yeah, it can be the easy route. If he decides to drop down a level and is just worried about playing time. All he has to do is get an offer from whoever that says.....hey! Come to SW University and we guarantee you will start. So yeah.....it is always easier to quit and move into a perceived easier situation. It is much harder to stay at a school where you are buried on the depth chart and scratch and fight for playing time.

Reactions: HerdGrad1999

Maybe he wasn't going to be #2 next year for us... If he looks at the guys we have and sees he is #3 or lower going into next season, he probably should transfer down to somewhere he can play.

When you recruit 3 relatively even QBs in one class, you have to assume at least one is going to transfer after year one. Right now we have the following heading into 2023...

Fancher -- R-Sophomore
Pennington -- R-Freshman
Harrison -- R-Freshman
Cunningham -- R-Sophomore

Assuming we add a QB in this year's class (preferably just one given the age of the guys already here) we will have 5 QBs on the roster for next fall, all sophomores or younger. We are/will be fine at that position.

I wouldn’t blame him if Fancher set the world on fire, but frankly he did not. If you can’t push him next year, what fbs spot are you looking to go?
Just guessing here... No inside info... But he's a Florida kid and his only other FBS offer was from Florida Atlantic. They have 3 QBs coming back next year, so they have roster spots open.

Yeah, it can be the easy route. If he decides to drop down a level and is just worried about playing time. All he has to do is get an offer from whoever that says.....hey! Come to SW University and we guarantee you will start. So yeah.....it is always easier to quit and move into a perceived easier situation. It is much harder to stay at a school where you are buried on the depth chart and scratch and fight for playing time.
Just a hunch, but most of the guys in the portal aren't entering with the intent of dropping down.

Just a hunch, but most of the guys in the portal aren't entering with the intent of dropping down.
Maybe or maybe not. Most of these kids do not even get picked up out of the portal. But he didn't exactly have a bunch of options coming out of highschool. So I do not see how his stock has risen, in my head the only logical choice is to drop down and maybe get more tape then try to move back up to fbs.

Or......you work hard, push yourself and win the job. But why do that when you can try to take the easy route. I Hate the portal and wish Zamora well
Kind of like employees sticking around with a company out of commitment, rather than moving to a company that offers a better potential at advancement with their particular skill set?

Kind of like employees sticking around with a company out of commitment, rather than moving to a company that offers a better potential at advancement with their particular skill set?
Thats definitely probably the best way to look at it. It's a business now and I'm not mad. It's just going to really hurt MU when we can't develope qbs and are always looking for a stop gap.

Probably a dozen big schools that have the money and prestige to keep a roster together. For everyone else, it’s portal shopping and a crap shoot every year. Kind of like that Forrest Gump box of chocolates.

you got that right

ESPN caused a lot of this. That is true.

Reactions: wvkeeper(HN)
Shame Pete didn’t get a shot. He came early last summer before camp and worked out daily. Great arm. Some team will get a good young quarterback.

Reactions: Jartard
I wouldn’t blame him if Fancher set the world on fire, but frankly he did not. If you can’t push him next year, what fbs spot are you looking to go?
Surprised by this news especially since Zamaro was all over his social media. With Fancher the current starter and the type of offense we have to run, I am guessing it hurts the QBs who can't run. Several questions here-
1. What has changed with Pete?
2. Outside of Cam, can any of the 3 QBs run at all?
3. I think Cade is a walk-on - wlll he get Zamaro's scholarship or will we get another portal QB?
4. If we go to the portal again, will Cam leave?

Reactions: marshallisqbu
Surprised by this news especially since Zamaro was all over his social media. With Fancher the current starter and the type of offense we have to run, I am guessing it hurts the QBs who can't run. Several questions here-
3. I think Cade is a walk-on - wlll he get Zamaro's scholarship or will we get another portal QB?
Im not at practice every day, so I can't answer number 1... But here are my thoughts on the other questions.

Harrison can run. His athleticism was a big recruiting strength of his. Aside from football, he was also a very good basketball player in high school.

Walk-ons can earn a scholarship, but no idea about Cade... He may already be on academic scholarship or some other form of award. In the era of the portal, scholarships can always be shuffled.

I don't see any reason why we would go to the portal for a QB... Cam has progressed quite a bit since his first start and he is only a sophomore. Also with Harrison and Pennington both having a year under their belt they should be able to compete for the job next spring and serve as capable backups should Fancher win out in the fall. If you bring an upperclassman from the portal, you run the risk of at least one, possibly two, of Fancher/Pennington/Harrison hitting the road... We should recruit one freshman out of high school to have a QB in this year's class (5 total for next fall) and roll with what we have.

Shame Pete didn’t get a shot. He came early last summer before camp and worked out daily. Great arm. Some team will get a good young quarterback.
He used his social media to really max out his look. Obviously when he got here, he was even or behind the others and didn't want to compete for playing time.

Media $, transfer portal, and NIL $ has all collectively ruined college FB!!

Pete will excel at a lower level program, and then perhaps move up to D-1. His height may have been a factor, but at the college level, all positions have talent and the competition is fierce. With all the portal announcements lately, I hope Huff is able to find some good kids to reinforce our OL and DL positions. He will likely bring in some skill positions players, but I think the key spots are on the OL and DL line.

Pete will excel at a lower level program, and then perhaps move up to D-1. His height may have been a factor, but at the college level, all positions have talent and the competition is fierce. With all the portal announcements lately, I hope Huff is able to find some good kids to reinforce our OL and DL positions. He will likely bring in some skill positions players, but I think the key spots are on the OL and DL line.

Good post. Teams are only as good as their d and o line.

Reactions: HerdFB1
Looking at our two-deep... I would expect Huff and Co. to hit the portal hard in search of O-Line, Defensive ends/Edge rushers, and Cornerbacks. Also may add an experienced tight end since Miller and Marshall both graduate.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan

1) He realized he wasn't going to see the field. TBH, too many people were enchanted by his social media and ignored his physical limitations. The people who are making comments on Twitter like, "Marshall lost a good one" or "Should've been the starter this year" simply have no clue what they're talking about.

2) Harrison would be the most athletic besides Fancher, but that's not me saying he's nearly as athletic as Fancher either.

3) Potentially.

4) Potentially.

If he gets beat out. If he bolts because someone else what brought in then he's not the guy for the job anyways. IF we brought someone in that rightfully supplanted him then oh well. Problem is finding a portal QB that is good enough to actually do that. Either way we probably need to bring one in for depth.

I heard Pennington was running the scout team, so probably ahead in the pecking order.
Maybe. We've had guys leading the scout team in the past that were never close to actually seeing the field. I am not saying that Cole will never see the field, but running the scout team doesn't mean he's next man up either.

We had a QB back in 2013 that was Scout Team Player of the Year and all of that he was never above 4th string. He ended up transferring down and finding success.

If he gets beat out. If he bolts because someone else what brought in then he's not the guy for the job anyways. IF we brought someone in that rightfully supplanted him then oh well. Problem is finding a portal QB that is good enough to actually do that. Either way we probably need to bring one in for depth.
The problem is any QB in the portal that is worth a damn is going to want some "assurances" in regards to playing time... They aren't going to want to come here to try to beat out Fancher, who is the current incumbent starter.

So, then you are digging through the second tier or below guys in the portal. It makes more sense to recruit a freshman and go with the winner of a competition between Fancher/Pennington/Harrison. We have four guys on the roster returning next year, adding a freshman would give us five. If that isn't enough depth, our season is F'd beyond salvage.

Reactions: BleedsGreen33
The problem is any QB in the portal that is worth a damn is going to want some "assurances" in regards to playing time... They aren't going to want to come here to try to beat out Fancher, who is the current incumbent starter.

So, then you are digging through the second tier or below guys in the portal. It makes more sense to recruit a freshman and go with the winner of a competition between Fancher/Pennington/Harrison. We have four guys on the roster returning next year, adding a freshman would give us five. If that isn't enough depth, our season is F'd beyond salvage.
Huff has already stated that he doesn't plan on bringing in a HS QB for the 2023 class. The plan has always been to get a portal QB IF we can find one good enough to come in and take the job.

I agree with you that it will be really difficult to find a portal QB worth bringing in. I have been saying that since last year. I can stomach it if you are getting a FR or SO that was buried and can maybe develop here, but these journeyman QBs like Colombi are a colossal waste of time and a waste of a scholarship.

Reactions: Jartard and RhinoD
Maybe. We've had guys leading the scout team in the past that were never close to actually seeing the field. I am not saying that Cole will never see the field, but running the scout team doesn't mean he's next man up either.

We had a QB back in 2013 that was Scout Team Player of the Year and all of that he was never above 4th string. He ended up transferring down and finding success.

On another board there is a poster that knows some defensive players. He was told by them that Cole is very solid against the ones on defense. They like Fancher but said Cole is the real deal. Guess we will see if that is accurate.

On another board there is a poster that knows some defensive players. He was told by them that Cole is very solid against the ones on defense. They like Fancher but said Cole is the real deal. Guess we will see if that is accurate.
I've read that post. Look I'd be ecstatic if Cole rose up and because our starter. I just don't think if he had any other last name that we'd even be talking about him.

I have no doubt that Cole has improved, no differently than Cam did throughout the season.

With that said, it would have to be an INCREDIBLE jump for Cole to overcome Cam.

The margin between the two (and the other FR) was pretty substantial early in the season.

Anyone ever go to an outlet mall? The one I went to had brand name clothing, but the items had a lower price because of a slight flaw. Nothing major; maybe a mis stitch here or a crooked button there.
That is the way I view the portal. Players with a slight flaw. If everything were perfect, they would be prominently displayed in the glass display cases, not stacked carelessly on makeshift wooden tables.

Last edited:
Reactions: RhinoD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT