ADVERTISEMENT

PRACTICE REPORT 2016 Spring Practice Day 2

Mike Gwinn

I'd rather be fishing.
Feb 26, 2002
Beckley, WV
By Dick Ash

Spring Practice #2 began under overcast if not threatening skies. With no rain close by Doc Holliday’s team headed outside to find gusty winds of up to 25 miles an hour and a temperature in the mid 70’s. The clouds broke in the second hour of practice giving some sunshine to the field.

One drill that was interesting to watch involved some very high balls launched by the JUGS machine into or across the wind. Hyleck Foster, Donquell ‘Gator’ Green and Nick Mathews had some real adventures trying to follow and catch balls that sailed, fluttered, knuckled and/or died.

The one change in the roster was a new number for Aaron Plantt. The redshirt junior made his debut at tight end Tuesday still wearing his number 55 from his previous defensive end position. Apparently Plantt’s move will last at least long enough that he’s now wearing an eligible receiver number: 27. From the order the players went through drills, Plantt appeared to be fifth among the five tight ends, behind scholarship players Ryan Yurachek, Emanuel Byrd, Kaleb Harris and fellow walk-on and converted linebacker Kyle Camacho.

Camacho impressed me with his work ethic. He stuck around after the post-practice team huddle and took ball after ball from the JUGS machine working on his catching skills. With tight ends likely to see more action this season the redshirt junior from Greenwich CT and Milford Academy is working to improve his game at his new position.

Also after practice walk-on redshirt freshman running back Ellis Cain had to pay penance for some mistake he committed. Cain had to lie down and roll the length of the field under the watchful eye of new running backs coach Pepe Pearson.

After just two practices I’ll join the chorus singing the praises of 6-7 walk-on Michael Clark. In a skeleton passing drill, a taste of what he brings to the table was displayed when he went high along the left sideline to catch a high throw from Chase Litton. The only other person on campus who could have caught that pass was probably James Kelly.

Later, Clark went high again after getting position on D’Andre Wilson to catch a slightly underthrown pass from Birdsong. Clark landed in control and cut outside the off-balance defensive back to what would have been a clear path to the end zone.

Another highlight during the same drill was a catch of more than 40 yards by Gator Green, who got behind cornerback Rodney Allen and caught the with-the-wind throw from Michael Birdsong. Allen went up for the ball but the wind helped it get just over him to Green, who a few plays later caught a 20 yard out from Coy Pettit.

Litton made some nice throws on a later drive in the drill, hitting Justin Hunt and Ryan Yurachek back-to-back. Litton liked that sequence so much he connected with them again in the same order on the next two plays. The four plays would have moved the offense at least 35 or 40 yards downfield.

In the 11-on-11 portion of practice, the advantage Marshall’s receivers have over the young cornerbacks was displayed several times. Birdsong underthrew a pass to the right side which McManus broke away from Chris Jackson to come back for. Jackson probably interfered with McManus, but the redshirt junior still caught the ball and got by Jackson for what would have been a touchdown.

Hunt beat true sophomore corner T.J. Grffin for about a 30-yard gain on a pass from Litton. Later Clark beat Griffin deep along the left sideline and the former basketball player’s 10-inch height advantage made it easy for Litton to get Clark the ball. The play would have gone for a certain touchdown in a real game.

What impresses this observer about Clark wasn’t just that he got open and caught the ball; it was how easily and smoothly he did so. He looks more like a receiver that has been playing the game for years than one that hadn’t played organized football since ninth grade.

After practice I asked Holliday if he was sure Clark hadn’t played more football than just through ninth grade since he looks so smooth out there. Holliday said Clark’s hard work in the weight room is responsible for his impressive performance so far.

“He’s a gifted athlete that’s a great kid that works extremely hard. There’s a big difference in him right now than what I saw when he got here in August because of his strength. He’s (been) a basketball player and he never got in the weight room like he should have. He’s gotten a lot stronger and he can run well. I’m not sure I’ve seen a guy 6-7 – but I haven’t seen many 6-7 receivers period, so maybe he’s the only one I’ve seen – that has the skill set he has.”

Holliday was quick to take up for Griffin despite the cornerback’s problems today covering Clark and the 6-3 Hunt. “T.J. has done a nice job. I like what I’ve seen out of him. T.J. is a talented guy. When you’re 6-7 and most corners are 5-9, 5-10 or 6 feet, that’s going to be a mismatch with not only our guys but hopefully some guys we’re going to play (against).”

Holliday also spoke highly of Jackson, who enrolled in January. Jackson made a few nice plays backing up Rodney Allen, including one where he outfought Raylen Elzy for a short pass inside the offense’s 10 yard line and took it in for what would have been a pick 6.

“He’s supposed to be in high school right now going to the prom, He’s here which is good. I like all those young (defensive backs); I like him, I like those three guys (Jackson, Jeremiah Maddox and C.J. Reavis). We need help at that corner position. We’ve got (Jackson) here, of course (Griffin) came in a year ago. We’ll add a couple more corners the first week of June.”

Reavis was shaken up briefly when he and a cornerback (not sure if it was Wilson or Griffin) collided as they tried to defend a pass to Camacho. Reavis hit his helmet on the corner’s thigh and appeared to be a little woozy as he was helped to the sideline, but he was back on the field with no apparent effects a few plays later.

After two days in shorts, the definite number one’s at the three wide receiver positions are McManus and Hunt on the outside and Josh Knight at slot. Clark and walk-on John Hathway are behind Hunt, Elzy backs up McManus and Mathews and Green are behind Knight.

It’s hard to evaluate or comment on the play of the offensive line, running backs or defensive line in just helmets and shorts since blocking is limited and there’s no tackling. Coaches, players and fans will be glad that practice will be in shells Saturday and then in full pads the rest of the spring.

There wasn’t a lot of kicking Thursday. I didn’t see the one play worth mentioning, but according to Braxton Crisp, Nick Smith kicked a low line drive with the wind toward the Shewey Building on a 50 yard field goal attempt. The kick was good, and as the ball neared the Shewey Building someone opened a door and the ball sailed on into the building on the fly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News