ADVERTISEMENT

279th

The Real SamC

Platinum Buffalo
Feb 15, 2007
First NET rankings out from the NCAA. 279th. Of 353. Still ahead of such magnificent programs as High Point, USC Upstate, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, SUNY Binghamton, and Abilene Christian. And Middle, at 283rd and LAST in CUSA.

Reactions: herd66
It’s almost like we lost the all-time program leader in scoring, assists, free throws, and 3-pt FG’s, another top 10 all-time scorer, and one of the best sixth men in program history. But yeah, go ahead and bash them for having to rebuild while praising Doc and company for underachieving every year.

It’s almost like we lost the all-time program leader in scoring, assists, free throws, and 3-pt FG’s, another top 10 all-time scorer, and one of the best sixth men in program history. But yeah, go ahead and bash them for having to rebuild while praising Doc and company for underachieving every year.

yes but when basketball is mediocre it's because they're mediocre.. when its football that is not doing well it's the fault of network monies distributed unfairly, conference realignment shafting Marshall, former MU coaches, WVU, Oliver Luck, the state of WV, land grants, Mike Hamrick, and hot dog vendors.... It is NOT and never will be the current football coaching and staff..

I think I covered it all. Now he doesn't have to respond to you!

I FULLY intend to derail the focus of this thread, but do appreciate you, Sam, for teeing this up for me!
I have not been watching many (hardly any) games so far. But in thinking back to last years seniors, we had not 1, not 2 but 3 players who made a living with their ability to take defenders off the dribble and take it to the rim with authority. I especially like the way Rondale could slash into the lane, while Elmore and CJ were just phenomenal in this regard.
So, my ? is this: Who do we have on this years squad that has the ability to do what those 3 were so good at doing? Could AT be in that category?

I'll be interested to see how this new core develops. As great as the conference championship and NCAA win was, I'll never forget how slim the margin was that got us there. We got hot at the right time, but the season up to that point hadn't really been anything to write home about, and we've have likely wound up in the CIT/CBI had we not won the tournament.

Here's a question: if Jon Elmore's grandpa hadn't gotten sick, does DD even have a winning season at this point?

279th is far below “mediocre”.

279th is far below where a lower mid-major level team falls during “rebuilding”.

Reactions: herd66
First NET rankings out from the NCAA. 279th. Of 353. Still ahead of such magnificent programs as High Point, USC Upstate, Texas-Rio Grande Valley, SUNY Binghamton, and Abilene Christian. And Middle, at 283rd and LAST in CUSA.
what were we rated in this last year? I am curious I have no idea

279th is far below “mediocre”.

279th is far below where a lower mid-major level team falls during “rebuilding”.

It’s literally December 16th. Our only true point guard hasn’t even played yet. Highly doubt we’ll be 279th in 2 months. But go ahead and keep your delusional narrative going. Wonder what your opinion (excuses) would be if football was ranked 90-100th.

Sam, you had to know this was your attempt to paint the basketball program in a negative light, but it is unlike you to start a thread like this. Don't you have a football Bowl game to concern yourself with? Let's hope Doc can rally the troops, but I'm afraid we are going to made to resemble "F Troop" (dating myself!).

I don't know how good Kinsey is at getting to the rim, but I suspect he's decent. Williams & George are more outside shooters. Does Marko fit that bill?

But - since you're into uncovering obscure facts: Of the 278 programs you mention, how many are just now getting a key piece of their team eligible? That would be a number that interests me...….how 'bout it?

It’s almost like this is Danny’s 6th year and he has no one developed to step in for those guys after they left.... excuses like this is why the basketball program is what it is today. Not a surprise that guys graduate. It didn’t just spring up on them all of the sudden.

It’s almost like this is Danny’s 6th year and he has no one developed to step in for those guys after they left.... excuses like this is why the basketball program is what it is today. Not a surprise that guys graduate. It didn’t just spring up on them all of the sudden.

Lol what...the program is literally 68-40 the past 3 years with a C-USA Tournament Championship, another C-USA Tournament Championship game appearance, an NCAA Tournament berth, an NCAA Tournament win, and a postseason tournament title. Yeah, this program is in horrible shape. You act like they should just plug in someone in Elmore and Burks’ spots and expect the same results immediately. Anybody that knows anything about basketball knows those types of players aren’t easily replaceable.

Once again, a thread about one sport gets derailed to blast another. Let it suffice to say that both have uphill climbs that can best be made with fans on their side. Tough times come along for all sports; we were there for 4 decades with basketball while football kind of flourished. Now football is challenged to step it up again too. Perhaps we should remember that just a couple years ago we were one of a very few teams having played in a bowl and the NCAA tourney in the same year.

And think about this: How did Mikel Byers even find out Marshall had a basketball team? Why would Marshall be in Andy Taylors head when on day 3 @ Furman he decides Spartanburg wasn't his dream choice of University's? And, how in the world did we get a top-rated (nationally?) kid from Charleston who had offers from bigger, more well known programs to give a written acceptance to lowly Marshall? Find out the answer to those questions, then come back on here and talk about how none of the post season publicity we received matters...…..

Reactions: Herd1972
Lol what...the program is literally 68-40 the past 3 years with a C-USA Tournament Championship, another C-USA Tournament Championship game appearance, an NCAA Tournament berth, an NCAA Tournament win, and a postseason tournament title. Yeah, this program is in horrible shape. You act like they should just plug in someone in Elmore and Burks’ spots and expect the same results immediately. Anybody that knows anything about basketball knows those types of players aren’t easily replaceable.
Anyone who actually knows anything about basketball, college basketball specifically knows that you have to recruit and development talent every year. Not just sit there and ride the wheels of a couple of good players who feel into your lap. When I said state of the program I’m referring to the present day, as in right now, as in this season. “Literally 68-40” is doing what for this team? No one is arguing the overall state of the past 3 years. This post is about right now. There’s a lot of basketball left and as I’ve stated many times on this board, this team will take time to develop and they can and will be much better as time progresses. The only point I’ve made and will stand by is that in the 6th season, a coach should have a group of players developed and ready to compete with the likes of Toledo and Akron at the very least. Do you get an Elmore or Burks every year? Probably not. At least in terms of the obvious footprint they left on the program’s history books, but you can get guys in and develop them into solid players who are ready to step in and pick up where those guys left off. Jon and CJ were great but you’re going to have a lot of disappointing seasons if the mentality is well we lost two good players so now we can just cry about it and talk about how good we were when we had them. Yeah, I do think we should just replace them. That’s how it works. It’s not rocket science. If this was Dan’s second season or something then sure go ahead and make the excuses. You will never convince me that at this point there’s any reason why there’s no one to replace them. Strictly in terms of being able to be competitive. I’m not saying they have to be exactly like them. How does this work? Do we just sit around and pray another Elmore hopefully lands in our lap at some point then wash and repeat after they graduate?

SamC,

Just who in the Hell are you? Some kind of former midget league coach or something? I've been seeing you on here for years, yet you remain an enigma. Sometimes I don't disagree with you, but I would appreciate your laying credentials on the table. Please enlighten us!

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
Sam, you had to know this was your attempt to paint the basketball program in a negative light...

I am not “painting” anything in any “light”. Just reporting the factual information that in the mathematical formula used by the NCAA, only 74 of the over 350 teams, almost all of them HBCUs, teams from obscure bus-and-gym leagues with tiny enrollments, and newcomers to the Division, outrank our unprepared bunch. Which is far below even “mediocre”. It is awful. Dog awful. If you don’t like the factual information, please show the flaws in the math the NCAA uses.

Didn’t mention football. Not a football thread.

I'll be interested to see how this new core develops. As great as the conference championship and NCAA win was, I'll never forget how slim the margin was that got us there. We got hot at the right time, but the season up to that point hadn't really been anything to write home about, and we've have likely wound up in the CIT/CBI had we not won the tournament.

Here's a question: if Jon Elmore's grandpa hadn't gotten sick, does DD even have a winning season at this point?

If grandma had balls she’d be grandpa

Reactions: YouGotMossed
Once again, a thread about one sport gets derailed to blast another. Let it suffice to say that both have uphill climbs that can best be made with fans on their side. Tough times come along for all sports; we were there for 4 decades with basketball while football kind of flourished. Now football is challenged to step it up again too. Perhaps we should remember that just a couple years ago we were one of a very few teams having played in a bowl and the NCAA tourney in the same year.
I think it was more like we won a bowl game and won an NCAA bball game in the same year but I'm not positive.

SamC,

Just who in the Hell are you? Some kind of former midget league coach or something? I've been seeing you on here for years, yet you remain an enigma. Sometimes I don't disagree with you, but I would appreciate your laying credentials on the table. Please enlighten us!

Pete Thaw took the mystery of Real SamC to the grave. Only Jerry Waters lives on to tell the story. ;)

Doc doesn’t develop QB’s. Both coaches have issues. Both have to get better.

Last edited:
Reactions: WyomingHerdFan
I am not “painting” anything in any “light”. Just reporting the factual information that in the mathematical formula used by the NCAA, only 74 of the over 350 teams, almost all of them HBCUs, teams from obscure bus-and-gym leagues with tiny enrollments, and newcomers to the Division, outrank our unprepared bunch. Which is far below even “mediocre”. It is awful. Dog awful. If you don’t like the factual information, please show the flaws in the math the NCAA uses.

Didn’t mention football. Not a football thread.
Of course you didn't mention football. Kind of like Shitty Shiff and NoNads Nadler and their impeachment sham.

If Lew Alcindor hadn't grown to over 7 ft, would John Wooden have become one of the greatest bball coaches ever? You do know he was mediocre, at best, before LA arrived on the west coast.

Southern Miss is last at 284.

Isn't that the team that beat us by 50 last year?

You’re just mad because Dan D’Antoni has given Marshall more major national respect than Doc has been able to give us in 10 years. But hey, maybe we should all start complaining about money being the reason football underachieves every year.

One tournament win is not MAJOR National Respect! We won one tournament game. Two years out no one except a few around here knows about it or gives a shit. When you mention Marshall, major basketball power does not come to mind. Try it there are plenty of board on the Rivals network.

Reactions: The Real SamC
If Lew Alcindor hadn't grown to over 7 ft, would John Wooden have become one of the greatest bball coaches ever? You do know he was mediocre, at best, before LA arrived on the west coast.
I’m not sure if you’re being serious. John Wooden used as an analogy for anything pertaining to this thread is odd. Anyway, since you said it, Wooden was not mediocre before Kareem. The guy had over 350 wins, something like 12 conference titles and 2 national championships before Kareem arrived. I would hardly call that mediocre.

Are you kidding me? You better look up how many National Championships he won in the 70's. I don't think players had seven years of eligibility back then.

Reactions: TwolfHerdfan
The basketball team is bad this year, no reason for some to take it personally, it's not your fault.

The football team was mediocre this year and blew a chance to win the conference. Again, neither is the fault of anyone on this board and nothing any of us says or does is going to improve or cause decline in either program.

Anyone who actually knows anything about basketball, college basketball specifically knows that you have to recruit and development talent every year. Not just sit there and ride the wheels of a couple of good players who feel into your lap. When I said state of the program I’m referring to the present day, as in right now, as in this season. “Literally 68-40” is doing what for this team? No one is arguing the overall state of the past 3 years. This post is about right now. There’s a lot of basketball left and as I’ve stated many times on this board, this team will take time to develop and they can and will be much better as time progresses. The only point I’ve made and will stand by is that in the 6th season, a coach should have a group of players developed and ready to compete with the likes of Toledo and Akron at the very least. Do you get an Elmore or Burks every year? Probably not. At least in terms of the obvious footprint they left on the program’s history books, but you can get guys in and develop them into solid players who are ready to step in and pick up where those guys left off. Jon and CJ were great but you’re going to have a lot of disappointing seasons if the mentality is well we lost two good players so now we can just cry about it and talk about how good we were when we had them. Yeah, I do think we should just replace them. That’s how it works. It’s not rocket science. If this was Dan’s second season or something then sure go ahead and make the excuses. You will never convince me that at this point there’s any reason why there’s no one to replace them. Strictly in terms of being able to be competitive. I’m not saying they have to be exactly like them. How does this work? Do we just sit around and pray another Elmore hopefully lands in our lap at some point then wash and repeat after they graduate?

It takes a while to develop players like that, fairly obvious fact. Elmore and Burks were drastically different their senior years compared to their first year here. Same goes for Penava. It takes time. If you think it’s so easy, maybe you should take up being a head coach. Some players just aren’t cut out to run the show, that’s just how it is. Let’s see how Taylor does once he gets in a rhythm of playing.

Reactions: Herd1972
It takes a while to develop players like that, fairly obvious fact. Elmore and Burks were drastically different their senior years compared to their first year here. Same goes for Penava. It takes time. If you think it’s so easy, maybe you should take up being a head coach. Some players just aren’t cut out to run the show, that’s just how it is. Let’s see how Taylor does once he gets in a rhythm of playing.

Herdorbust why did you change your name? Why don't you just use that one? Are you and meister going to wear paper bags over your heads to the game tonight?

Isn't that the team that beat us by 50 last year?

One tournament win is not MAJOR National Respect! We won one tournament game. Two years out no one except a few around here knows about it or gives a shit. When you mention Marshall, major basketball power does not come to mind. Try it there are plenty of board on the Rivals network.

So winning the 2014 C-USA football title or the Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl matters to the masses? Getting an upset win in the big dance resonates far more.

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Sam - I notice you haven’t provided the requested info. Perhaps because there are so few examples? In fact, only one example? Thought so......
Taylor is supposed to really help. Let’s watch him develop over the rest of the season. No football team wins their conference in the pre-season! Go Herd

Didn’t I allude to that when I said this team will get better as time progresses? I also said no one is expecting them to be exactly like Jon or CJ. Expecting a developed and competitive team in the 6th season for a coach is not unrealistic in any way. You’re iterating my exact point. It does take time and there has been plenty of it. Where did I say player development was easy? Exactly where? I didn’t. There has been plenty of time to develop guys who have been on the team for 3 and 4 years and seemingly that has not happened. Is 3 and 4 years enough time? Should we as fans just not say anything critical about the coaching staff? This is a message board after all. To put it simply so maybe you can better understand, I’m not saying every player should be exactly like Jon or CJ. I’m questioning the mentality that you’re approaching this. Why continue to make excuses for this? Again, if this is year 2 for Dan, we’re not having this conversation. It’s year 6 and you lost a couple of good players. It happens every single year to a lot of teams. At what point do you say, you know, a lot of these guys have been on the team for several years and we knew Jon and CJ wouldn’t be here forever so why did we not have a plan for when they’re gone? Are we just content to be the victim? Jon and CJ are gone and it takes time to develop other players so it’s ok for us to be bad even though we have all of these great accomplishments in the last 3 years! It’s one thing to not be cut out to be the next Jon or CJ but it’s a whole other to not even have something in place to get them there.

Reactions: GoHerdMarshallYes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT