ADVERTISEMENT

279th

Ws that was not me but a west Virginia fan.

Does Dan still log on with your account and post? What happened to Dan anyway, he disappeared (other than through your posts) when Thunder in The Mountains was unjustly shut down.

I really don’t give the NET rankings much value until the middle of conference season.
About the first week of Feb.

And, identical to football, even if we win the majority of our conference games, these rankings won't improve much.
Not entirely true. For example, Duquesne was 65th prior to losing to Marshall. I hadn’t heard of half of the schools Duquesne had played. Who you play is the the first metric then it weighs net efficiency, winning percentage, adjusted winning percentage and scoring margin. Marshall can keep moving up if they keep winning, but it will be tougher given who they play like you’re saying.

net2.jpg

I really don’t give the NET rankings much value until the middle of conference season.
About the first week of Feb.
I agree. That’s why I didn’t take the initial “279th” post serious—along with who posted it.

Just figured I’d give an update after a few weeks and might bump this thing back up occasionally as the season goes on.

I agree. That’s why I didn’t take the initial “279th” post serious—along with who posted it.

Just figured I’d give an update after a few weeks and might bump this thing back up occasionally as the season goes on.
This measurement really has no meaning for anyone in CUSA. A one bid league gets in by winning the tournament. CUSA is a one bid league with no NIT options. The harsh reality of where the basketball program is nationally.

Last edited:
This measurement really has no meaning for anyone in CUSA. A one bid league gets in by winning the tournament. CUSA is a one bid league with no NIT options. The harsh reality of where the basketball program is nationally.
Yeah, I know. I don’t care.

We’re like 156th in RPI, which is also irrelevant. It’s a message board. It’s basketball season. I guess it had enough meaning to pull a comment from you, which is kinda what we’re here for. Thanks for participating.

In the meantime: Starting to get a bit concerned. Sam usually checks in on Tuesday after the weekends’ events have been sorted through. Haven’t seen him - the Duquesne debacle might have had more impact than we realized.....may not hear from him until next year!! For old acquaintance ...Happy New Year everybody!! Go HERD!

What do you want me to say. MU beat a tiny third rate private college from a mid-major conference. The kind of game we should EXPECT to win.

Demand better.

What do you want me to say. MU beat a tiny third rate private college from a mid-major conference. The kind of game we should EXPECT to win.

Demand better.
You predicted we would dominate a 10-1 team in late December? Please cite where you did that on this message board .......and if you can’t, then you sir are full of shit.

Demand better.

Your exact words a couple weeks ago: “Plenty of lip about this “improvement,” until 9-1 Northern Iowa and 9-0 Duquesne apply the cold douche of reality.”

But now, we should expect better as fans. Dude, you don’t have a damn clue.

You predicted we would dominate a 10-1 team in late December? Please cite where you did that on this message board .......and if you can’t, then you sir are full of shit.

It was an "upset". Everyone who knows basketball expected MU to lose. These things happen. Does not change the fundamental position of the program, which remains far less than mediocre.

Demand better.
They are in the Atlantic 10. Currently rated 8th in basketball (according to Sagarin). The only other mid major rated higher is The American Athletic at 7th. They currently have 6 teams in the top 100. Conference USA is rated 14 with only 1 team in the top 100. Technically it was an "upset". Upsets are usually much closer than 22 points. This was a significant early season win for the herd. We have a young team that is only going to get better. Most Marshall basketball fans are excited for this team.

Demand better.
But we couldn't beat Charlotte or Middle. Those were games we should be EXPECTED to win also.

Reactions: Elkview
“Plenty of lip about this “improvement,” until 9-1 Northern Iowa and 9-0 Duquesne apply the cold douche of reality.”

Ouch. How's that cold douche of reality Sam?

Reactions: W-S HerdFan
Thing’s not working out for Sam. His prediction is soon to be proven wrong, and it’s going to be tough on here as conference play heats up. Hang in there Sam!! It’s 5 o’clock somewheres ...

“Plenty of lip about this “improvement,” until 9-1 Northern Iowa and 9-0 Duquesne apply the cold douche of reality.”

Ouch. How's that cold douche of reality Sam?

How did UNI turn out?

What acceptance of far less than mediocrity. Happy that we only lost 50% of the games we were expected to.

From the guy that defends Mediocre Herd Football.

Duquense Basketball is greater than Charlotte football(no history at all).

Dan D’Antoni must have hurt his feelings in the past or something, it’s the only explanation for this hypocritical stance on basketball. As if the past few years of basketball haven’t significantly out-performed football. It’s really not even close either.

I was thinking the same thing when I read that. Seems like WKU was invited to the NIT 2 seasons ago. That would seem to indicate that there is in fact an NIT option!

Assuming the same team wins this league and the tournament (tournament losers league winners get an auto bid to the NIT) who among this crowd has not already played their way out of NIT consideration?

Get it right. There is one NIT option.
My fault. I was thinking an at large bid. Should have explained that better in the post. So help me understand how many at large NIT bids have been delivered to CUSA schools in the last ten years? Not the guaranteed bid if you win the conference but not the tournament?

My fault. I was thinking an at large bid. Should have explained that better in the post. So help me understand how many at large NIT bids have been delivered to CUSA schools in the last ten years? Not the guaranteed bid if you win the conference but not the tournament?

so you want me to now respond to your incorrect statement? I'm not debating that and don't disagree that at large bids to the NIT are tough to get. You said zero NIT options and I called out the incorrect comment. Actually, since it looks like our conference is pretty balanced with no one far superior (see MTSU and in the old league Memphis) it is likely a better chance this year that our regular season champion doesn't win tourney and may end up in the NIT.

So help me understand how many at large NIT bids have been delivered to CUSA schools in the last ten years?

19 - ODU won league and tournament, no NIT bids
18 - MTSU won league, lost tournament, auto NIT bid. WKU (24-10) gets “at large” bid.
17 - MTSU won league and tournament, no NIT bids.
16 - UAB won league, lost tournament, auto NIT bid. No other teams selected.
15 - LTU won league, lost tournament, auto NIT bid. ODU (24-7) and UTEP (22-10) get “at large” bids.
14 - LTU won league, lost tournament, auto NIT bid. No other teams selected.
(No need to go back further, different league.)

So the answer, from 13-14 to 18-19 is three “at large” NIT bids. And that is about right. The NIT auto-bid serves as a consolation prize for a team winning the league (something MU has not done since 1988) , and an auto bid is a very outside long shot. Looking at the current CUSA standings, pretty much everybody has played their way out of at large NIT consideration already.

Reactions: Ninegate
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT